Progress so far - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-31-2017, 10:23 AM   #1

Name: Jeroen
Trailer: Scamp
North Carolina
Progress so far

Hello,

I've bought a 1977 Scamp 13 in need of TLC from a forum member last month. It's been extremely hot here in NC, and with no AC in my garage I was unable to do anything. Last weekend was surprisingly mild, so I could finally get started on the first project: rear floor replacement.

This is the floor when I first got the trailer.

I removed the patch to see the damage.

It's pretty bad, as expected.

The soft part came out easily. I first considered leaving this good part and only replacing the part that was bad, but changed my mind as I figured I might as well do it right.

The previous owner left a piece of plywood that was used as a template to make a front floor. I glued pieces of cardboard on it to make a template for the rear floor.

I put primer on the frame while it was accessible. I then dry-fitted the new floor. Perfect fit.

I then attached the floor after raising the shell 1/4" so it wasn't leaning on the frame.

Next I cleaned with acetone, sanded, and cleaned with acetone again all surfaces that would come in contact with epoxy.

I used Loctite Premium Polyurethane Construction Adhesive to glue the floor to the metal between the dance floor and the rear floor. I mixed West Systems 105 Epoxy Resin + 206 Slow Hardener + 406 Filler to peanut butter consistency the attach the floor to the bottom lip of the shell. I then weighted the floor down to let it cure.

Next I'll rebuild the top lip with fiberglass, and the floor project will be done.
Attached Thumbnails
1.jpg   2.jpg  

3.jpg   4.jpg  

5.jpg   6.jpg  

7.jpg  

jeroen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 08:02 PM   #2

Name: Buggeee
Trailer: Playpac
OH
Hey Jeroen I'm about a week ahead of you, having just done my floor repair too. Feels real good to see that done! It sure seems you're going about it the right way. Very thorough. Have fun with your project!!!

Buggeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 10:33 PM   #3

Name: Greg
California
Boy that looks nice. I did the front floor a while back ('83 16' Scamp) and decided the back was ok as is. What I'm wondering about is the sides, under the cabinets. I may have some damage there. Not sure. It seems like those would be substantially harder to get to. Anybody have any experience with that?
GrregP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 06:36 AM   #4

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
Thats looks good but if I could make one recommendation I would add some fiberglass matte and wet it out with resin around the perimeter of the floor where it meets the shell. About 4 to 6" in on the wood floor and about the same up the shell surface...I did mine all the way around the perimeter and filled the voids with filler before applying the matte. I left a lip underneath from the old floor/glass for the floor to sit on and added some matte in strategic places underneath, was harder to work with overhead and more messy but it is solid...looking forward to seeing your progress on this project!
Old 08-01-2017, 09:06 AM   #5

North Carolina
@Johnny M: that's what I will be doing next weekend. I couldn't access it because of all the stuff weighing it down.

@GrregP: I was looking at that, and it seems like you'd have to remove the kitchen cabinet to get to the floor underneath. Then you'd also need to take out the heater if you have one.

I plan on installing a portable ac with heat in the cabinet, so I'll be taking out the gas heater.
Old 08-01-2017, 03:22 PM   #6

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Nice work. What plywood did you use?

Walt
Old 08-01-2017, 06:02 PM   #7

North Carolina
3/4 ply coated in epoxy on the bottom.

Does anyone know what type of fabric the cushion/mattress covers are made out of? Mine are 70's brown-greenish, so my wife wants to dye them.