Propane hoses rubbing on tanks on my 17 Casita - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2021, 03:11 PM   #1

Name: Andrey
Trailer: Casita
West Virginia
Registry
Propane hoses rubbing on tanks on my 17 Casita

Hi,

Recently I ran out of propane.
Upon replacing the tank, I noticed that the hose leaked.
I put the tank on the other hose, but looks like the hoses were rubbing against the tank all this time, and probably cause the hose to deteriorate.
Initially I thought my rod was setup incorrectly, and thought it needs to be above the tanks, but upon googling I determined that the regulator is too close to the tanks. For now I just moved it up, but it's not an ideal nor a durable setup... I think the regulator has a bracket that is too short, as it should be sticking out more away from the rod. If you look at left tank, you will see rubbing marks (it's been on half a trip). If I move the regulator where it belongs, the hose will start rubbing again.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20210808_1652476.jpg  
Komrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 03:43 PM   #2

West Virginia
Registry
flipped the bracket upside down, which allowed for more height, probably could use a pair of washers to keep the bracket more level (perpendicular to the rod), but overall I think it's good/better now (no more rubbing!)
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20210808_1736047.jpg  
Old 08-08-2021, 04:48 PM   #3

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Like new

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komrade View Post
flipped the bracket upside down, which allowed for more height, probably could use a pair of washers to keep the bracket more level (perpendicular to the rod), but overall I think it's good/better now (no more rubbing!)
Here is how the 2017 Scamps were from the factory. My first year fix was to do the same as you AND move it to the rear so the jack crank would not hit. (That's the way it is in the Scamp videos.) I later changed to an electric jack.
Attached Thumbnails
58 tanks1223.jpg  
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 04:57 PM   #4

West Virginia
Registry
Thanks for the input.
I think Casita may have a longer tongue, plus the previous owner upgraded the jack.. In either case, the propane tanks/cover are not in the way, but hopefully I won't lose any more propane.

BTW, the flies really seemed to like the smell of leaking gas.. there were like 5-6 sitting on the hose.. Googling shows that they're attracted to the nasty chemical added to propane.
Old 08-09-2021, 08:13 AM   #5

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
That smell is caused by the "gas people" adding a substance called Ethyl Mercaptan to the propane. Propane, without it, is odorless, so it's added as a safety feature. You'll smell it if it's leaking. And yes, flies do like it too!
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 09:54 AM   #6

Name: Ed
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RT
Colorado
Cover all of the accessible propane lines with split plastic tubing and they will be protected from abrasion.

Like this.

https://www.amazon.com/Alex-Tech-25f...98&sr=8-3&th=1
IMEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 07:41 PM   #7

Name: Eva and Kirk
Trailer: Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Virginia
Never even thought about this. Tomorrow I’m checking my hoses for wear and applying some of the solutions suggested here. Thanks for the heads up Komorade
Evirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 12:42 PM   #8

Name: Ned
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 13D & 2016 Highlander
Iowa
Heavy Duty Hose Cover

Here is an idea that I have used on motorcycles to stop hose wear. Take a short piece of heater hose, cut a slit so it can be opened and placed over the hose you want to protect, then add a few zip-ties. This will protect against any wear.
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot 2021-08-21 134152.jpg  
GpaNed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita, propane