Propane off/empty detector ?? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2020, 11:27 PM   #21

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann Todd View Post
Ours doesn't have a gauge so it's impossible to know when they run out.

So, you either get the auto changeover with the gauge, or you continue as you have been doing.
I was only trying to point out that many already have a gauge, but need to understand how it works.
Old 09-30-2020, 10:07 AM   #22

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Get one of those see through fiberglass tanks where you actually see the fuel.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 10:25 AM   #23

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
Get one of those see through fiberglass tanks where you actually see the fuel.

The flaw in that idea is that one would have to look at the tank.
Old 09-30-2020, 11:04 AM   #24

Name: Don
Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
California
John Evans, regarding your initial idea: I wouldn't trust Dometic electronics design enough to introduce that buzzer load. Depending on how the LED is designed into the circuit, the best I can think of is to add a signal transistor (something in the range of 2N3904 or 3906) to control a separate small load circuit to operate the buzzer.

Steve: does Glenn really say that?

John from SC: how about a window:
Attached Thumbnails
gas regulator window.jpg  
RLTW - LRRA2015
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 10:03 PM   #25

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
So, you either get the auto changeover with the gauge, or you continue as you have been doing.
I was only trying to point out that many already have a gauge, but need to understand how it works.
What we've done for over 35 years has worked just fine. A tank lasts most of the summer unless we use the furnace a lot which doesn't happen unless it is really cold in the mountains.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 05:09 AM   #26

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Ours doesn't have a gauge so it's impossible to know when they run out. We let one run out then turn on the other one and refill the empty as soon as possible but know we have time to do it.
Quote:
What we've done for over 35 years has worked just fine. A tank lasts most of the summer unless we use the furnace a lot which doesn't happen unless it is really cold in the mountains.
Jann, that is exactly the procedure I follow. I have an auto switch-over regular, the best thing since sliced bread according to some here. I know how it works, but I am NOT going to make checking it to see if one tank is empty part of my daily travel routine. And like you, when a gas appliance stops working, I check and if the tank is empty I get it filled.
I personally consider mine to be a “regular” regulator with two input pigtails. It really serves no purpose to profess that you do not use an auto switch-over regulator as its designer’s intended. There will always be a handful of “controlling” know-it-all’s on this or any other forum that simply cannot accept the fact that your preferred method of doing things doesn’t fall in line with theirs, some to the point that they can appear annoyed that you just won’t do as they do, or that your opinion differs from theirs. Sometimes it’s about using back-up/rear view cameras, or using generators versus solar panels, etc. But it’s your trailer. Keep on doing things the way you want to, because they are going to continue doing things the way they want to.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 09:27 AM   #27

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 21
Illinois
FWIW, I bought two new propane tanks from Costco. They have a built in gauge that is operated with the OPD, a float that reads the actual level not the pressure of the tank. I believe that this is the tank.

https://flameking.com/product/ysn230-2/
Old 10-03-2020, 12:34 PM   #28

Name: Babs
Tennessee
DC indicatot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaevans View Post
Thinking out loud here, but I was thinking of installing an alarm beeper or somesuch across the DC indicator in our Casita's Dometic Fridge with a switch to disable. The LED probably drops about 3V so a beeper across that LED with a switch in series to disable would let us know if the fridge switched over to DC - something I would want to know about without constantly looking at the fridge display.

I'd have to gain access to the display panel guts and install the beeper and external switch somewhere, but this way I could leave one tank closed off and know when one tank had emptied.

Thoughts ?

John - Colorado Springs (doing lots of mods to our 2011 LD)
The fridge will not automatically switch to DC if you lose propane supply or shore power, such as from a power failure at a campground. Instead, your refrigerator control panel will display a CHECK light. It doesn’t switch over unless you manually tell it to so that the battery doesn’t accidentally get discharged if you are away from your campsite when the other power sources fail.
Rockytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 12:39 PM   #29

Name: Babs
Tennessee
We open one tank at a time. When it is empty, we switch to tank two. We may get tank one refilled immediately or we may wait awhile and fill tank one and top off tank two at the same time, depending on where we are, when we can find a resupply, and how long we are going to be our.
Rockytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 02:12 PM   #30

Trailer: 1979 Layton 22 ft / 2004 Ram-Cummins 2500 2wd
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
THen that dual propane tank level monitoring kit that was linked a few posts back would be the trick way to go. the good ones work by ultrasound sonar, the cheap lousy ones work by temperature sensors on the surface on the sides fo the tank (and really don't work very well). pressure based gauges will only tell you EMPTY vs NOT EMPTY since the partial pressure of Propane is constant at a given ambient temperature regardless of the amount left. you /can/ get propane tanks with float based gauges built into the tanks, but these have to be looked at, too.

I keep meaning to get an inspection mirror and velcro or something to the access hatch on my tank cover, so I can see the failover indicator without having to remove the whole tank cover, but thats the epitome of laziness for something I check maybe once a week.

if I'm just using propane to heat in the wee hours, and for the fridge, a single tank lasts for weeks.

I used a simple method to look at the auto-switch indicator: Used a 4" hole-saw to cut opening in polypropylene tank cover, exposing indicator and primary tank selector
Lloyd (aka Santa) Coltman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 03:41 PM   #31

Name: M
Trailer: Scamp
Texas
At the most rapid consumption, using the heater, a tank lasts a week. If the heater stops coming on then a quick check of the stove will indicate if the online tank has no fuel. I switch over to the full tank and know I should get the refill within a week to keep from running out.
mikeaugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 05:26 PM   #32

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
ok, I just installed Mopeka sensors on my dual propane tanks, awesome. told me the empty tranks were empty, came back from the propane filler place, and it says they are full. you can get the readings either from your smartphone (with their app), or via a simple 2 button LED display panel thats about 1x2 inches. the range seems quite good, too. i do believe I'm going to sharpie the tank numbers on them (I called them Tank 1, and Tank 2 in the phone app, the display calls them tank1 and tank2, also).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01C5RQI74

I noted in the reviews on various website people complained the little feet you have to put on the bottom ring of the tank were rubber or plastic, and that they cracked in a few months, but they sold metal ones as an upgrade... well, my dual tank kit came with the metal feet. the sensor itself has two strong magnets, and a little rubber pad, you put a blob of silicone dielectric grease on that rubber pad and stick them on the bottom dead center of the tank, and they use sonar pings to measure the fuel level...
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 08:23 PM   #33
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
I named the tanks in the app as Driver and Passenger. I know, how boring...

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 09:19 PM   #34

Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
I named the tanks in the app as Driver and Passenger. I know, how boring...
Could have been Lefty and Righty!
Or Frick and Fracked.
Maybe Mack and Meyer, for fire.

The big question is, however, if the tank is at 50%, is it half-full or half-empty?
Old 10-11-2020, 09:17 AM   #35

But if you name them lefty and righty. Is it Left and Right as you are looking at them or L and R based on what side they are on the camper.
Old 10-11-2020, 09:21 AM   #36
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Ex-Navy here; may change mine to Port & Starboard..........

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 09:22 AM   #37

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Or if you use driver side and passenger side, what if you move your RV to the UK or Australia ?
jaevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 11:13 AM   #38

The former Sailor should paint them Red and Green.
Old 10-11-2020, 02:55 PM   #39

Florida
Registry
Quote:
But if you name them lefty and righty. Is it Left and Right as you are looking at them or L and R based on what side they are on the camper.
That of course is usually dependent as to whether it is a leap year when there is a full moon on February 29th when you are looking at them. But not when one of them is left valved and the other is right valved!
Old 10-11-2020, 02:57 PM   #40

Florida
Registry
Quote:
The former Sailor should paint them Red and Green.
And wouldn’t that depend upon whether you are entering or leaving the campground.

Tags
propane