Propane tank / Battery mount Trillium 4500 1978 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2010, 09:40 PM   #1

Name: Randy
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
Massachusetts
Registry
Propane tank / Battery mount Trillium 4500 1978

Can someone post pics of how there propane tank is secured. I got mine and it has one tank that was held on by a bungy cord. Also how their battery is mounted. Mine is on the back bumper. Should it be on the tongue for more forward weight? Thanks Randy
Gumpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 10:03 PM   #2

Massachusetts
Registry
Also, I have seen some with 2 propane tanks. How do I know if mine originally had 1 or 2
Old 11-07-2010, 11:24 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile Battery Propane Tank mount

This is the best picture I have of the subject:

The battery is in a plastic battery case on a battery tray.

The propane tank is in a propane tank holder, a ring around the base ring on the tank with uprights with a band around the middle of the tank.

I suspect both are available from independant sources. They are both welded to the frame and cross members.
Attached Images

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 11:36 PM   #4

Massachusetts
Registry
Thanks. Do you know if the 4500 and 1300 both have the battery mounted on the tongue? Mine is on the back bumper but I think the rprevious owner may have moved it there.Thanks Randy
Old 11-08-2010, 06:04 AM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumpit View Post
Also, I have seen some with 2 propane tanks. How do I know if mine originally had 1 or 2
Can't help with your question, but the solution is based on your style of camping. Do you need one or two?
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 07:04 AM   #6

Massachusetts
Registry
I think at most I would be in the camper for 2 days at a time. Assuming the heat was running non-stop for the entire time and cooking in the morning only,how long does a tank last? I have no idea how long my barbeque grill last either. I always have a spare filled. and when one runs out I switch it with the spare and run down and fill the one I took off. I will look for some sort of guage but I would still like to carry a backup.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:45 AM   #7

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
I think at most I would be in the camper for 2 days at a time. Assuming the heat was running non-stop for the entire time and cooking in the morning only,how long does a tank last? I have no idea how long my barbeque grill last either. I always have a spare filled. and when one runs out I switch it with the spare and run down and fill the one I took off. I will look for some sort of guage but I would still like to carry a backup.
There are ways of telling how much propane you left in the tank using hot water. Donna and I use an LCD magnetic strip that changes color with hot water and the empty part returns to the normal color faster than where there's liquid.

I wouldn't bother with a spare tank. I only have one and after 20 days last February it was around 1/4 of a tank. Refrigerator, heater, and cooking used the whole time.

If you're really concerned you might get a steak saver and carry one or two of the disposable bottles. http://www.campingworld.com/search/i...d&Nty=1&Ntpc=1
Old 11-08-2010, 11:41 AM   #8

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Quote:
Thanks. Do you know if the 4500 and 1300 both have the battery mounted on the tongue? Mine is on the back bumper but I think the rprevious owner may have moved it there.Thanks Randy
I had a 4500 several years ago and the battery was on the rear bumper street side. I moved it to the tongue.
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 07:46 PM   #9

Massachusetts
Registry
Thanks. I think it would look better on the tongue as well. And I like the idea of the magnetic strip. Thanks Randy
Old 11-10-2010, 11:08 PM   #10

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Sorry I can't provide a picture since the trailer is in storage.

We have 2 propane bottles on the "propane shelf" nearest the trailer. Like the one shown in post #3 above. One is hooked up to the trailer and the other comes off for the kitchen tent and lantern when camping.

Just in front of that, the battery box drops down into the remaining space of the A frame. Angle iron has been welded to support the battery box. Nearest the propane there is a U shaped piece that fits the sides and bottom of the battery box, at the front there is a piece cross ways that the handle of the battery box sits on. If you notch the support for the handle just right, the box flexes just enough to lock it in place before you put the battery in.

We had to extend the crank a couple of inches to keep from hitting your knuckles on the top of the battery box. One short piece of pipe and a couple of bolts was all it took.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 12:07 AM   #11

I found a picture from those posted on the Niagara 2010 meet. You can see the front of my Trillium 4500 to the right of the green pickup. The curbside tank is off being used, but you can see the second tank for the trailer and the battery box.
http://www.lakeshoreimages.com/images68/SUE_5169.jpg

Maybe if Jon has the original, he can crop in on that area and post it? Or Jon does say he will email the photo's to anyone if they ask.
Old 11-18-2010, 11:02 AM   #12

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
I found a picture from those posted on the Niagara 2010 meet. You can see the front of my Trillium 4500 to the right of the green pickup. The curbside tank is off being used, but you can see the second tank for the trailer and the battery box.
http://www.lakeshoreimages.com/images68/SUE_5169.jpg

Maybe if Jon has the original, he can crop in on that area and post it? Or Jon does say he will email the photo's to anyone if they ask.

Here is a couple of crops of the tongue:

Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 04:17 PM   #13

Massachusetts
Registry
Excellent. That is exactly what I was looking for.Thanks
Old 11-18-2010, 07:30 PM   #14

Trailer: 1980 (Circa) 13 ft Scamp (A WORK IN PROGRESS)
Registry
The way I check my propane level is to heat a styrofoam cup full of water in the microwave for a minute or two, then pour it on the top of the tank and let it run down the side of the propane tank. You can then feel the side of the tank. Where the tank is hot or warm, there is no propane, where the tank is cold, thats were the propane level is. May not get you the exact level, but it will get you real close.

Frank
FRANK MOLIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 10:15 AM   #15

Thanks Jon!

Gumpit,
If you are looking real close it appears that my battery box higher in the front. The box is parallel to the frame, the lid is up on the forward edge.

Tags
trillium