propane tank cover - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2014, 02:44 PM   #1

Name: Tim
Trailer: Scamp 16' Deluxe side bath
Minnesota
propane tank cover

Just purchased a camco propane cover to install over my dual tank system on my 16' Scamp Deluxe front table. It won' fit. Not enough room between the battery and the trailer jack crank arm. Looks like if I want to, I would have to relocate the battery to the inside under the front bench. Would then have to move the propane tank tray back a little to clear the crank arm.

Anyone done this before or am I in for a lot of work just for a cosmetic improvement of hiding the 2 tanks?

Swenny
swenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 03:39 PM   #2

Trailer: Casita
I had a similar problem with my Casita. I just went with a vinyl cover. Works fine. Easy to unzip to access the valves.
LK Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 04:28 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
My Escape 17 was one of the first built with dual propane, the storage box, and an electric tongue jack. The Camco propane cover was so tight that it was difficult to open & close the storage box.

Since I've done quite a bit of Vacuum forming prior to retiring, I used the same technique to "flatten" the back side of the cover. After removing the cover, I used both a 1500 watt electric heater (inside) and a heat gun outside to soften the plastic, then pressed it against a flat surface. There was plenty of room inside the cover to still fit the tanks after flattening about 3/4" at the top rear.

Don't know if this would solve your problem, but it worked for me...
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 06:47 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Would a side winder jack solve the problem?
Eddie
http://www.amazon.com/2000LBS-TRAILE.../dp/B007HROIAW
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 10:36 PM   #5

Name: Tim
Trailer: Scamp 16' Deluxe side bath
Minnesota
Some great ideas. Sidewinder jack just might leave me with enough room to move the propane tanks forward enough.

Flattening of the plastic cover with a heat gun might also leave me with enough room.

I'll get a better look tomorrow when I take my cover off the Scamp and start measuring.
swenny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane