Propane Tank Plug - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2015, 12:55 PM   #21

Name: Robert
Trailer: Surf-Side
Manitoba
I also do not like using the swap propane tank service , I do however swap tanks every couple of years that way they never get past their date .
Bob in Mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 01:05 PM   #22

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ess View Post
I just replaced my tanks with one that have gauges to show how much is left. They use a float inside the tank, so I figure they're pretty reliable...

Rich
All my tanks expire this year but I'm buying replacements one by one as they empty out. The first 20 pound tank I bought had the built in gauge and I, too, am expecting them to be way more accurate that those aftermarket screw-on indicators. I expect to replace the other tanks with the built in valves even with their slightly more expense.

The tare weight is on the tank so weighing the tank is the inexpensive way to check, but a direct read meter is the cat's pajamas.
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 01:13 PM   #23

Name: Matthew
Trailer: Casita
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
Carl
A lot of us prefer not to use the exchanges. We have our own tanks and refill them at propane dealers. I carry a 5lb tank for my stoves and other outdoor appliances.

Walt
I do this as well. I plugged up the one end of the regulator (am I to be concerned about this?) and carry 2 20 lb. tanks on the tongue. One for the RV and one for my fire pit. I like to be able to move the 2nd one around and put it where I want it. Then I have a 5 lb that I carry in the Jeep for the outddor stove. I never have an issue finding fill stations.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20150608_153821.jpg  
Old 06-17-2015, 02:45 PM   #24

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
We carry only one tank, and have not run out.
We weigh the tank as part of our pretrip.
The length of the trip and anticipated use determines the decision.
18 pounds is empty, 38 is full.
If there is not enough in the tank we fill it or switch it before leaving.
It takes about a year for us to use a full tank so this method works well for us.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 03:01 PM   #25

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ess View Post
I just replaced my tanks with one that have gauges to show how much is left. They use a float inside the tank, so I figure they're pretty reliable.

I've been thinking about where to get them filled. I pass Tractor Supply Co stores regularly, but never thought of them for propane. Raz, thanks for that info.

Rich
The Pilot Truck Stop near our house, sells metered propane.
You buy only what you need to fill the tank.
I have a tank with a float guage and it leaves a little more than I would like in reserve when it reads empty. We really like it though.
It still has at least a couple pounds left when it drops below the empty mark.
Also really cold weather will render it "empty" a little early.

Here's another thing that experience has taught me. I have seen this a couple of times on different trailers...
A "dead empty" propane tank or a severe cold snap on a near empty tank,causing pressure loss,can actually cause a whisper leak on a stovetop. I don't know if any other appliance can be affected in this way, but it is good to know and something to check before blaming the stove.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 03:33 PM   #26

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I use a 33.5 lb, aluminum, forklift propane tank that has a float gauge. The liquid draw port has a quick fill fitting on it. I just fill at a propane service station. I don't even have to remove the tank. They always charge for the volume purchased.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 06:13 AM   #27

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
I agree with Walt. I have my own new tanks so I can get them filled. I hate getting shorter 25% on the fill. I only exchange old tanks to get new ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 03:58 PM   #28

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
I trust the change over regulator to tell me when one is empty (really empty, I hope) and then I have a number of days to get a refill or a new one, depending on how old it happens to be, or which service is available. With one tank, I would be nervous about either running out, or paying a flat fee for a partial refill, if that is how the most convenient place does it.

If I used a separate tank for a barbecue, I thing that shaking it and feeling for a sloshing liquid would be the best way of telling how much is left in it. When there is no more liquid, get ready for a flame-out.

By the way, I found it very convenient to have a click start plumbing torch along to light a campfire. It works well even if the kindling is not exactly bone dry. Some real boy/girl scouts will frown upon this, I know.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane