Propex HS2000 Heater Installation Complete! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2012, 02:23 PM   #1

Name: Brooke
Trailer: U Haul CT13
California
Propex HS2000 Heater Installation Complete!

Yea, one big project done!

I removed my original heater.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1830730312.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	43846

Here is the new open space.

Name:	image-3814995811.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	43848

Put a deck hatch where the heater vent had been.

Name:	image-3071278538.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	43849

Installed the HS2000 in a back compartment.

Name:	image-2425232109.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	367.9 KB
ID:	43850

Added the heater vent in the cabinet by the door.

Name:	image-2433688914.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	43852

The cold air is under the bed.

Name:	image-2745316250.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	43853

The flue and combustion gas lines are under the frame.

Now Mouse will be cozy and warm for Yellowstone! And all the other cold nights when I am boondocking.
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 03:31 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Very nice job!

Did you attach the exhaust pipe with plastic ties?
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 03:55 PM   #3

California
The ones they gave me for the job.

Now quite permanently attached yet. Trying out the location. I'll finish attaching before we travel on a shake down run.
Old 03-10-2012, 03:58 PM   #4

California
Think there is any market for the original heater?

It works perfectly as designed. I've got all the pieces. Any Uhaul CT13s out there that want a working original heater?
Old 03-10-2012, 04:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
Think there is any market for the original heater?

It works perfectly as designed. I've got all the pieces. Any Uhaul CT13s out there that want a working original heater?
I'm sure someone else could use it, especially if it works.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:58 PM   #6

Name: Frederic
Trailer: U-Haul ct-13
Quebec
Hello, we also have a ct13 and we where looking at the propex unit since we dont have the original furnace in. Is propex really that quiet? Can you give us your overall reviews?

Thanks

Fred
theman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:34 PM   #7

California
It creates a very nice even heat in the egg.

The original heater was very strong and heated the space where it blew air then turned off. The HS2000 pushes air out in one place the sucks it back in a separate location, in a CT13 not a very distant location, but it works well. The heated air fills the whole space to a comfortable temperature.

All I've done so far is test the installation. Once I use the heater, I'll write a review. It may be a week or two because I need to fill the space where the old furnace sat and put Mouse back together before I can give a fair review.

So far it is a winner!
Old 03-10-2012, 08:59 PM   #8

Name: Frederic
Trailer: U-Haul ct-13
Quebec
Thanks for the reply. What about noise, is it a lot less noisy than the original unit?

Nice clean work by the way
theman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 12:18 AM   #9

Name: Joel
Trailer: 1981 Boler
Sarnia, Ontario
Mouse,

can u tell me if this unit is enough to keep the trailer warm enough so the heater isnt running all the time? i ask because that is the smaller of the two heaters propex sells. would the S2800 not be better? since its closer in size to the original? 6,500 btu seems real small

i'm thinking of gettimg one of these but not sure what size to go with, i dont want to get the small one and find out its to small, they are to much bloody money to make a mistake like that. they are almost the same money.

anyways let me know what u think, i thimk this is the perfest heat for these trailers.

thanks for your time,

joel
idiotsniff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:04 AM   #10

California
I think the HS2000 is going to be the right size. Heaters should never be too big for a space, their cycle time will be too short.

I'll let you know once I've used it overnight.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:20 AM   #11

Name: Joel
Trailer: 1981 Boler
Sarnia, Ontario
I agree on the size thing, don't want them to be to big, but don't want them to be to small either. just not sure what the right size is for one of those boler type trailers would be? original is 12,000BTU? I don't have a heater in out trailer so I have no idea what size would be required, i'm just going off the original. and to me I'd think 12,000btu is to big. but I don't know for sure.

ya please let me know, would you be using it anytime soon over night? or you mean just in the driveway or something to test it?

how is it for noise? is it super quiet?

thanks for your time,
idiotsniff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 05:22 PM   #12

California
Noise:
There is a fan, so you can hear it running. I took my electric heater out there and the fans sound about the same loudness. It is louder than the Maxi-fan but much quieter than the original heater. The sound comes from the heater vent, which in my case is over by the door. The cold air return makes no sound, which is good because it is under the bed.

Warmth:
It makes the whole compartment warm pretty quickly. For a CT13, I would say that it is the right size heater. I haven't used it over night yet, so I can't tell you how often it cycles.

Power usage:
It doesn't take much when it is on. How much it will drain the battery if it is on all night without Mouse being plugged in I don't know yet. It seems that if I am boondocking, I will get two days with everything else I am doing before I need to recharge. A reason to install a solar panel!

Value:
I think it is a very good choice of a heater. The heat is nice and even, you are warm in bed, and when you get up in the middle of the night to use the port-a-potty it is warm there too. There will be no frost on the comforter when you wake up in the morning. All the combustion gases are outside the compartment! You can hear it, but it won't keep you awake. It take up much less space and weighs less than the original heater.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:45 PM   #13

Trailer: 1976 Surfside
Great choice of heater, I saw one of those heaters in a big Kenworth sleeper worked great and quiet too. Should work well in our trailer for sure. Nice install ,are you going to use that hatch for something that was a smart idea .
ken h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 04:15 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken h View Post
.........are you going to use that hatch for something that was a smart idea .
I had an unused milk chute on my old house and I stuck an outdoor outlet inside the door. Looked quaint and was useful. That may be something that could live behind the deck plate.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:50 PM   #15

California
Nothing there yet, but I am open to suggestions.
Old 03-24-2012, 06:50 PM   #16

Name: Gerry
Trailer: 17' Casita FD
Massachusetts
I'm really leaning towards one of these units. We just bought a Casita in FL, and it doesn't have a furnace. I'll need one in the northeast. What did you have to do with the combustion exhaust pipe where it goes through the fiberglass? Is it hot enough that it's a concern and you need some sort of baffle? I'm going to do some measuring this week and be sure it will fit. I have 2 possible locations in mind. Thanks!
GerryL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 07:53 PM   #17

California
The instructions just have you drill a hole that is about twice the diameter. I haven't noticed any issues with the exhaust. The heat in the trailer is very nice and even and it doesn't seem to need to run very often. So far the nights that I have used it haven't gotten below 35. It has worked really well and is pretty small, so it should fit almost anywhere.
Old 03-24-2012, 07:57 PM   #18

Massachusetts

Thanks! Did you go to westyventures for that heater?
Old 03-24-2012, 08:05 PM   #19

California
I got it from Van Cafe (www.van-cafe.com) because they are in Santa Cruz CA and I could just drive over and pick it up. Same price as most others and they will ship.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:07 PM   #20

Massachusetts
Great. Now I am fired up to get going on this!