PSA: Mobicool A40 3-way absorption cooler - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2013, 10:11 PM   #21

Trailer: Boler 1300
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
hummm did a number of responses to this thread discussion just vanish???
\
Don't think so. There are two separate threads going on about this cooler.
Willy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:28 PM   #22

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy R View Post
Don't think so. There are two separate threads going on about this cooler.
thanks Willy I realized that after I asked. Hard for us old folks to keep up!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:02 PM   #23

Registry
There are a number of reviews of this product can be found at SmartCanucks.com Best cooler ever. Looks like a number of people have had issues with running it on propane which may explain why the manufactures Mobicool doesnt seem to have this model or a propane option on the ones they currently have on their website.

Since last summer I have been looking at a couple of different ones that Canadian Tire sells made by the same people after someone had one at one of our trailer meets last year. I am not sure if it was the same model or not but they seemed happy with it but they did need to add an ice block to it when the temps got up into the 30's c/85's F to keep the beer good and cold but they were running it on 110 power at the time.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:17 AM   #24

Name: Darragh
Trailer: 1972 Boler
Alberta
Registry
So overnight on AC power the cooler came through and was able to produce ice cubes in the ice tray provided. I don't know the exact temp drop as I don't have a thermometer. Ill try get one in the coming days.

The coolers seems to cool no problem on AC. Ill try hooking it up propane later to see how it works.

On AC it is silent. I didn't even know that it was working.
slots881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:47 AM   #25

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
What is the size in inches? Do you know the can capacity? Thanks, it looks like a nice unit. I may try to get one when I come to Niagara later this year for the fall Wine Rally.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:47 AM   #26

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by slots881 View Post
So overnight on AC power the cooler came through and was able to produce ice cubes in the ice try provided. I don't know the exact temp drop as I don't have a thermometer. Ill try get one in the coming days.
Thanks for the update. Still considering one while on sale if for nothing more than keeping the wine cool on the road. If you have an indoor/outdoor wireless thermometer it would work well for such tests. Would be interesting to know what the outside temp was when you got it to make ice.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:48 AM   #27

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
The secret is that it only cools to 20° below ambient temperature so if its 90 out it will be at 70 degrees - not what most of us expect from the more expensive 3 way fridges found in our trailers.
Notice, the ad is in Celsius, so a twenty degree drop would be the equivalent of a drop from 80 degrees Fahrenheit to 40 degrees Fahrenheit.
90 degrees Celcius would be almost 200 degrees Fahrenheit.
I had to look at a conversion chart to see the difference.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:26 AM   #28

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Notice, the ad is in Celsius, so a twenty degree drop would be the equivalent of a drop from 80 degrees Fahrenheit to 40 degrees Fahrenheit.
90 degrees Celcius would be almost 200 degrees Fahrenheit.
I had to look at a conversion chart to see the difference.
Floyd I realized it was Celsius after my original example was given - see correction to my example on post #17. The problems come into play when the temps start to get above 80 degrees Fahrenheit and yup that does happen even here in Canada from time to time during camping season.

A 90 Fahrenheit outside temp would result in 54 degrees Fahrenheit in the cooler. Not taking in to account that the manufactures specs state "up to 20 degrees" so I read that as the best case scenario. It might consider it good enough in hot weather to keep the beer & wine from getting way to warm but not for keeping dairy products and meats at safe storage temps.

The manufacture on their site has a newer model and it talks in its specs of being able to maintain much lower temps but its does not have the propane option - it appears to be a 2 way compressor style cooler.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:41 AM   #29

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
What is the size in inches? Do you know the can capacity? Thanks, it looks like a nice unit. I may try to get one when I come to Niagara later this year for the fall Wine Rally.
Jim as Canadian Tire is blowing them out on sale its a good bet there will not be any to buy later in the year. Looking at the manufactures website they dont seem to be making them any longer - or at least I cant find one with the propane option. Not to mention that most of the Canadian Tire stores only stock one or two of this model at the best of times (some dont even have them at all) due to the many other cheaper more popular option/style ones they do carry made by the same manufacture. So if you really want one you might ask someone in Canada who is going to the rally to pick you up one sooner rather than later. Like today!

The capacity in US speak is: 10.567 US Gallons. Sizes is 20.47" x 20.08" X 17.7"
Old 03-10-2013, 01:31 PM   #30

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
On AC it is silent. I didn't even know that it was working.
That appears to be the reason for electric-only absorption-type refrigerators in some European hotel rooms - no noise.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:05 PM   #31

Name: Dave
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Thanks for the tip

Thanks to Roy for the tip. We went to CT and picked one up today. I thought it would also be great to use while on long driving trips.
dylemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:50 PM   #32

Name: Darragh
Trailer: 1972 Boler
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylemma View Post
Thanks to Roy for the tip. We went to CT and picked one up today. I thought it would also be great to use while on long driving trips.
I thought this way also. If anything, it'll work in the vehicle just for road trips.
What I'm wondering though is if it's better to install an inverter in my vehicle so it will run off AC power and I'll be able to control the temperature. (there is no control of the temp when the cooler is on DC power)
slots881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:03 AM   #33

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
You will waste battery power converting 12v to 1120v and then back to 12v. The 12v operation should be fine.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:13 AM   #34

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
What I'm wondering though is if it's better to install an inverter in my vehicle so it will run off AC power and I'll be able to control the temperature. (there is no control of the temp when the cooler is on DC power)
It would be less efficient, but if the thermostat is important to you, it is doable. It might even cool better on AC if it is like some camper refrigerators which use a higher wattage electrical element on AC.

In any case, don't run it when the engine is not running.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:16 AM   #35

Name: Chris
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
I picked one up and tested it, 12 volt works, 120 volt works way better, I would guess an inverter would be the way to go, although don't have an inverter to try.
Nelmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:21 AM   #36

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
So, what does that mean in fahrenheit temperatures?
20°C temperature difference would be a 36°F.

We had one of these types of coolers when we used a tent trailer many years ago. It worked quite good, but you had to watch the settings. When it cooled off good at night things could freeze easily, but if it was smokin' hot outside, it struggled to keep things cool at max setting. Still, all in all a better thing to have than a regular cooler if you have no fridge in your trailer.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:44 PM   #37

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
We've tested it out on both 120 and 12 V, so far so good.

Given that it is in essence a 3 way adsorption fridge. I'm surprised that someone has not thought of buying one just for the guts to replace a dead fridge in their trailer. Even the rebuilt components cost more.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:10 PM   #38

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
I thought this way also. If anything, it'll work in the vehicle just for road trips.
Does anyone know what the power draw is when the unit's run off a/c? I don't see it in the specs at the O.P.'s link...

I ask since it sounds as if you're thinking of one of those cigarette-lighter-plug inverters and many don't put out enough a/c to run a heat-producer like an absorption fridge.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:04 PM   #39

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Does anyone know what the power draw is when the unit's run off a/c? I don't see it in the specs at the O.P.'s link...
Specs are in the product Q&A's

Click image for larger version

Name:	specs.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	56128
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:51 AM   #40

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Thanks for the specs, Roy!

Correct my math if I'm wrong, but isn't .7 amps a/c about 900 watts?

Bearing in mind we're talking about 110v operation while this unit's in the car:

Wouldn't a 900 watt draw require a pretty stout inverter, not to mention an interior car connection that would power it without blowing the connection's fuse?

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote