Question about fiberglass shell "reshaping" - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2016, 12:56 PM   #1

Name: James (Jim)
Trailer: 1981 Burro - 13'
Ohio
Registry
Question about fiberglass shell "reshaping"

My new Burro seems to have been the victim of a large tree branch laying on top of it for some time over the last few years. The roof is not straight any more, has a dip about 1.5" across it at an angle where the fiberglass seems to have been deformed by the sun/time/etc.. If I shore up the inside with a nice straight board or two so that there is some pressure against the ceiling, and then used a heat gun to "gently" warm up the surrounding fiberglass around the dent, would it take a new "set" and straighten out? Or am I doomed to having a "hunchbacked" Burro? Anybody have any ideas, advice? It's not cracked, just has a very noticeable dent at a 45' angle across the roof line. Help??
CapnJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 04:55 PM   #2

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Your idea of warming it up while applying force sounds good. That's what I would try, but I would wait for some hot summer days to make the heating more uniform and to make it easier on myself. If you leave it braced while not in use, it should return to its original shape over time. The fiberglass should have some memory.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 06:50 PM   #3

Ohio
Registry
Thanks for the input, Paul. And maybe putting a layer of something dark over it, like a dark tarp, a layer of felt roofing, or something similar to use the solar effect. Won't be much of that here in Ohio for a while, though! I'd really like to hasten the "fix", the vent hole in the top is only temporarily covered with foam board and outdoor duct tape and I don't want to install the new vent with it sagging. So, for now, my Burro has a "do-rag" on it (a tarp tied down over the top) Can't hurt to shore it up in the meantime, can it? Not sure how much "memory" fiberglass has.......haven't worked with it much but I have a feeling I'm going to LEARN fast! Thanks! Anybody else faced the same thing?
Old 02-17-2016, 10:04 AM   #4

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I have a Trillium that the roof was collapsed for about 5 years before I purchased it:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...now-61473.html

I jacked up the roof for the last couple of years, and the shape has returned in many places, but there is a limit. There are places that I am resigned to cutting out the deformed section, and putting in new fibreglass. But since the insulation has to come off anyway, that doesn't seem like such a difficult job.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 10:56 AM   #5

Ohio
Registry
Mine isn't really BAD, just mostly noticeable; like a dimple on a marshmallow! I haven't done much with it due to cold weather, but thanks for the reply; I have hope now that most of it will come out with the sun and a prop under it. Good luck with your project!

Tags
burro