Quick Straightforward Trillium tail light refit - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2016, 05:29 PM   #1
buk

Name: Chris
Trailer: Trillium
Florida
Quick Straightforward Trillium tail light refit

The LED crowd can just ignore this one.

Super simple refit for your old Trill. $8.99 common 3 wire 12V trailer lamp from Pep Boys or wherever.

Remove stock Trill guts

Unscrew and remove red lens from top and side of new lamp

Trim closed side if you wish

New case fits snug inside Trill lense and lays flat on old base. Bulb is enclosed in glass, so waterproof on its own. Throw a retaining screw in if you want.

Fin

Will throw up lit pics later in the week
Attached Thumbnails
20161120_164529.jpg   20161120_164557.jpg  

20161120_164630.jpg   20161120_164705.jpg  

buk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 10:46 AM   #2

Name: Roger
Trailer: Trails West Campster andTeardrop American
California
Registry
And for you LED enthusiasts, there are 1156 and 1157 replacement bulbs with glass envelope and contains led's in place of the usual wire filaments. I think other bulb equivalents are available too. Not cheap, but LED!
rwilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 11:30 AM   #3

Name: Chris
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
For our Canadian members, Princesses Auto sells the LED version for a reasonable price and it is such a simple retrofit that I would encourage others to consider it.. Reasonable price, simple installation process and greater viability for the folks following you.....
Old 12-12-2016, 10:34 AM   #4

Name: Billy Sharpstick
Trailer: Scamp 13 - 2005
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwilhelm View Post
And for you LED enthusiasts, there are 1156 and 1157 replacement bulbs with glass envelope and contains led's in place of the usual wire filaments. I think other bulb equivalents are available too. Not cheap, but LED!
One potential problem with replacing incandescents with LEDs is that the old fixtures are designed for a point source glowing wire. Many LEDs will fit, but they may have optics that are directional and, although are brighter, do not focus their light properly on the reflector back of the light assembly. They will work, but you are better replacing the whole assembly.
sharpstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 11:14 AM   #5

California
Registry
Sharpstick. You may be right. The photo I saw online, had about 30 or so very small led arranged barrei like in 5 or 6 bands, the effect being to throw light in virtually all directions. But the only way to for sure would be to try one. I may be wrong but the price I remember was around $15. Since my new tailights came with bulbs, I didnt dig any deeper. Check twice, buy once or something like that. 😃😃😎

Sent from my SM-N920V using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Old 12-12-2016, 12:42 PM   #6

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Remember if you are replacing outside tail and marker lights you will need colored bulbs as the lens is inadequate to meet DOT requirements with a white led bulb.
Old 12-12-2016, 12:55 PM   #7

California
Registry
Right again. My replacement lights (non led) are colores lenses, so not a problem. I believe the led I looked were available in both amber and red
But thats from memory. I will do some searching and get back here with a link.
Just so you'll know, I aint sellin em 😃😃

Sent from my SM-N920V using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Old 12-12-2016, 01:32 PM   #8

California
Registry
Here is a link that I found when researching tail light replacement for Hampster the Campster.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/tail-brake-turn/

My estimate (memory) for price was about right and they are available in amber and red. My estimate (lack of memory) of the number of leds is a bit off, however they do give the lumins for comparison with standard bulbs.

Please remember: I'm an old fart not an LED salesperson ....... never was actually.

Roger

Tags
light, trillium