Radio/cd/dvd/tv installation - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2013, 06:24 PM   #1

Trailer: Boler 1971
Radio/cd/dvd/tv installation

I recently installed a little tv in our Scamp. It is mounted under the rear cabinets over the rear dinette/bed. It works great.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2070.JPG   IMG_2069.JPG  

Jerry71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:02 PM   #2

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Great photo! Please send details...model and how to install it.
Thanks!
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:05 AM   #3

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Jerry,
Is that a newer Colby model, I had an older one and after a FCC change, couple years back, they were obsolete unless you had an adapter to receive signals. Hopefully you have a newer model with the new tuner that will work.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:02 AM   #4

Trailer: Boler 1971
Yes, it is brand new Colby. I'm not exactly sure of the model number since I don't have the box in front of me right now. It is the smaller 7" TV model. And yes, they now have digital tuners in them. The picture you see on the TV is an actual picture. I'm rather surprised at the reception, since when I programmed the TV I was sitting in a metal building and it still was able to find 9 stations.
I don't know if the old ones came with radio antennas or not, but this one comes with an AM antenna, and a FM antenna. I was also able to get some local radio stations with the FM antenna just coiled up on top the unit. I did not have to put it on the outside of the camper. And again, that was sitting in a metal building. I haven't tried the AM antenna yet.

The installation went rather well. It comes with a template for drilling your holes and three different length bolts to accommodate different applications. Just make sure you mount it far enough forward so the cable connections don't interfere with the curtains. I was able to run the coax cable through the upper cabinets to keep in out of sight. All and all I am very pleased with it and the best part about it was that I found it on craigslist for $80. A guy had won it in a bar raffle and had no use for it. He had never even taken it out of the box. Score.
Jerry71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 11:49 AM   #5

Name: McKenna Lynn
Trailer: Considering Scamp 13
Colorado
I may want to try solar at some point, so don't want a tv antenna installed on top of Scamp 13. Can I use a portable antenna that I put up and take down somewhere outside, and utilize the cable port?
McKenna Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 12:13 PM   #6

Pennsylvania
Registry
Yes, you can buy this, I have one made up from an older unit, if we ever meet at a rally I'll sell it to you real cheap. Already on a 8' pole that has been cut in half. Here is the link
Winegard HA0130 Hideaway Travel Antenna : Amazon.com : Automotive
just get some suction cup holders from Harbor Freight and you are good to go.
Old 09-21-2013, 12:20 PM   #7

Name: McKenna Lynn
Trailer: Considering Scamp 13
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Yes, you can buy this, I have one made up from an older unit, if we ever meet at a rally I'll sell it to you real cheap. Already on a 8' pole that has been cut in half. Here is the link
Winegard HA0130 Hideaway Travel Antenna : Amazon.com : Automotive
just get some suction cup holders from Harbor Freight and you are good to go.
Did you mount the pole to the RV? Someone said they bought a GE Slim antenna and put it near the window. I don't know what now many signals you could get that way. But I am discontinuing my Dish Network at home now and going to buy an antenna, so wondered if I could get something that will also work for the Scamp later.
McKenna Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 02:03 PM   #8

Pennsylvania
Registry
yes it is mounted on a 8' pole (2x4' sections) and you suction cup it to your camper, should be same reception as stock antenna, do not know anything about the window units.
Old 09-21-2013, 02:59 PM   #9

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by McKenna Lynn View Post
Did you mount the pole to the RV? Someone said they bought a GE Slim antenna and put it near the window. I don't know what now many signals you could get that way. But I am discontinuing my Dish Network at home now and going to buy an antenna, so wondered if I could get something that will also work for the Scamp later.
Lynn

If an antenna works for the house it will do the same for the trailer,the antenna knows no difference.

The higher you can get them in the air the better though and the larger the antenna the better too.
So it is always a compromise between performance and convenience really.

I use a large Sensar antenna and mount it to a telescopic pole either to the trailer or on a tripod,pain in the rear but usually decent reception.
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote