rain diverter - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2022, 11:16 AM   #1

Name: Duane
Trailer: 1978 Burro
Michigan
rain diverter

I finally figured out how to divert rain over my Burro door. I had screwed in an aluminum diverter piece over the door before but didn't really like it. I cut a 3/8" slot into the "eyebrow" over the door and cut some fiberglass pieces and used resin for installation. Worked well but not really pretty. Used a 4" angle grinder to make slot.
Attached Thumbnails
0824210928.jpg   0825211235.jpg  

DuaneQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 05:14 AM   #2

Name: Gary
Trailer: UHaul CT13
Iowa
Duane,
Well, that surely ought to get the water far enough outwards to not run inside via the top of the door.
My first thought was shock that you'd sliced through the molded "eyebrow", and might remove some strength... but there are still plenty of molded-in stiffening curves remaining, so maybe doesn't matter.

Did you continue adding pieces to the 'diverter', so that it runs clear down to the ends of the slit you cut?
And did you resin-patch the underside of the diverter-to-camper joint as well?... if you haven't yet, I've found that Cabosil [$15/gal from Amazon] works really nice to thicken resin so it doesn't run all over before setting. On my U-Haul CT, I'd wet the surfaces with straight resin, then thicken the remaining resin with the Cabosil, and apply it... the thickened resin worked nice to form fillets in corners, etc.
'just my 2-cents-worth..........
Gary
Old 09-24-2022, 01:54 PM   #3

Name: Duane
Trailer: 1978 Burro
Michigan
Burro

Hey Gary,

yeah before I cut that slot I was wondering about the stuffiness but the closet was right next to the door opening. When I finished the rain diverter and had no door seal near the top of the door and it rained hard one night there was no water inside the Burro. I will post a few more photos of the Burro and all of the work I did on it soon.

I did resin in fiberglass pieces all the way past the ends of the cuts and shaped the ends so the water would not run down the sides of the trailer. I used the fiberglass that I had cut to make a opening and wood door inside at the front right side.

I put a lot of work into the Burro and put marine primer and paint on the inside and outside. I finally figured out how to stiffen the door too. It was the 4th time before I finally got it stiff and shaped to the body. I need to primer and paint the door now.

I took the frame out and put POR15 on it after I welded more angle iron and made it stiffer. There were 2 cracks in the frame right where the frame changes angles and goes to the tongue.

Thanks for asking questions.
Duane
DuaneQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burro