Rat Fur - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2020, 11:19 PM   #1

Name: Peg
Trailer: 1995 Scamp
Wy & Az
Rat Fur

Do you think you can attach stick-on tiling to rat fur? I don’t want to remove the rat fur but would like to put in a back splash on my 13’ Scamp.
pegski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 11:29 PM   #2

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
back splash

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegski View Post
Do you think you can attach stick-on tiling to rat fur? I don’t want to remove the rat fur but would like to put in a back splash on my 13’ Scamp.
Velcro hook half holds quite well to the marine headliner. I have a sign on the inside of my door and it stays quite well.
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 05:05 AM   #3

Name: John
Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Texas
Personally if you have the knowledge and know how to to this job, I would do it this way. Take a box knife and cut out the area where you want the back splash to go, that is cut the outside edge, or outline the area to be removed. Then pull off the Rat Fur that is to be removed, you can now install the back splash in this area. I would use something like Gorilla Glue, but stay away from the edges 1" or so, because it does expand and will work its way to the edge of the back splash and come out during the drying process. If a little did come out it probably wouldn't show too much as it is about the same color as Rat Fur. I personally like the professional look, so just hanging something there wouldn't work for me.

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 06:50 AM   #4

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
.... Take a box knife and cut out the area where you want the back splash to go, that is cut the outside edge, or outline the area to be removed. Then pull off the Rat Fur that is to be removed,...
Thats not what I would do.

I've seen people just take a plastic faux tin tile (available at Lowes, HD, etc..) and slide the edges in between the cabinets and windows and the shell. Nothing but a friction fit and it does not alter the camper at all.

I dont cook really messy things so I have never found I needed a back splash. But if I did I would try it that way.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 07:25 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I don't think stick-on tiles will work on top of rat fur, and I think cutting away the rat fur (and Reflectix) is a bad solution. The shell lining serves to deaden sound and control condensation, as well as insulate.

I agree about using a lightweight faux tile panel on top of the rat fur instead. This isn't a house. The optional Scamp factory backsplash is a piece of thin fiberglass over the rat fur riveted in place with the cabinets.

To install it you could do what Scamp does. Drill out the rivets on the top edge of the base cabinets and the bottom edge of the upper cabinet, slip the backsplash in between, and put new rivets back in (might need to be slightly longer. not sure.

But personally I would take the easier approach suggested by Gordon of just slipping the backsplash panel between the cabinet edge and rat fur without removing the rivets. The lining has enough give to allow you to do that. If the vertical edges bulge away from the rat for a little, use a few self-adhesive Velco hook pieces to snug it up as Kenneth suggests. You may need a couple near the window, too, to keep it looking neat.

If you're really determined to have the tiles, install a thin backing over the rat fur in the same way (probably riveted due to the weight) and stick the tiles to that.

I also agree with Gordon about only light cooking inside. Fry your bacon and fish outside, or the smells will linger on the rest of the rat fur, the cushions, your bedding...
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 07:46 AM   #6

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
What Trainman said about Gorilla glue is very true. It will expand dramatically and not in a nice way. Oh, and I think November is the best time to remove rat fur.
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 11:44 AM   #7

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
velcro and rat fur

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegski View Post

These signs are held to the “rat fur”
with the hook half of Velcro.
The top one for a few thousand miles
and the lower one for a few hundred.
Attached Thumbnails
Door signs.jpg  
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 11:03 AM   #8

Name: Peg
Trailer: 1995 Scamp
Wy & Az
I knew Velcro holds but I’m wondering about the stickiness of tape or whatever is in the back of stick on tiles
pegski is offline   Reply With Quote