re:exterior paint - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2022, 11:15 PM   #1

Name: Don
Trailer: Amerigo
Texas
re:exterior paint

How to match the exterior color for touch up of a 1972 Amerigo FG16. It is sort of almond or off white. Recommendations on type of paint to use?== Don in TX
Don in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 07:18 AM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in TX View Post
How to match the exterior color for touch up of a 1972 Amerigo FG16. It is sort of almond or off white. Recommendations on type of paint to use?== Don in TX
Don, I used rustoleum enamel to paint my replacement access doors, see post #39 in this thread: https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...y-73007-2.html

I had to tint the white with the almond until I got a close match, you can then brush it on small chips or spray it on larger panels like I did.
SteveV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 09:42 AM   #3

Name: Don
Trailer: Amerigo
Texas
Rustoleum white enamel with a little almond added. Was it satin or semi gloss? . This Amerigo has the original paint which is pretty flat at this point. I hope to repaint the whole camper but for now, just touch up over the repairs. I am in the process of just cleaning the exterior and checking for nics and holes in the gelcoat.

The quoted thread is what I needed to read. The whole thread is great info. You are a generous craftsman to do this project with such detail and sharing. Thank you.
Don in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 06:14 PM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16
North Carolina
I used gloss enamel but the shine on the paint dies back pretty quickly on it, after 6 months it looks like the rest of the camper.

The original gelcoat can be buffed and it will look new for a while but it will fade back to a satin finish in a short time. I buffed mine once & that was more work than I care to do again! Some folks on the forum here use the Zep floor wax method but it also has a short time until you have to strip & reapply it.
SteveV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint