Rear bumper jack - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2017, 12:16 PM   #1

Name: Jeroen
Trailer: Scamp
North Carolina
Rear bumper jack

Can anyone with a Scamp please post some pictures of where/how the rear bumper jacks are attached to the frame?

Thanks!
jeroen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 05:13 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Here you go. They're bolted to the top of the L-beam bumper inside the frame rails. They swing up toward the center of the trailer and stow behind the bumper.
From the side (door side):
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1876.JPG
Views:	18
Size:	365.4 KB
ID:	113002
From the top:

Name:	IMG_1873.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	284.4 KB
ID:	113003
Fram the back (street side):

Name:	IMG_1870.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	262.2 KB
ID:	113004
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 06:17 PM   #3

Name: Jeroen
Trailer: Scamp
North Carolina
Thanks!
jeroen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 06:24 PM   #4

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I put a pair on the front on some square tubing I welded in to stabilise better than the front jack alone.
I lower the front with the jack, drop the rear jacks, raise the front a little higher than level and drop the front jacks and Bob's your uncle.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 07:08 AM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
JD...did you put them on pointing outwards like the rear? I've thought about that but if I added some, I would want them point towards the front of the Scamp (IF there's enough room to get the bar in there). The reason? I've noticed I get "movement" front-to-rear when it's stabilized. NO side-to-side. But the front jack AND rear stabilizers have enough "give" to let it do this. If the front two stabilizers could point forward, it would stop it.

Whew...just thought of something, they would have to be VERY secure and not let them drop down while you're on the road!! Or else >

I secure my rear ones with straps for added peace of mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
I put a pair on the front on some square tubing I welded in to stabilise better than the front jack alone.
I lower the front with the jack, drop the rear jacks, raise the front a little higher than level and drop the front jacks and Bob's your uncle.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 07:50 AM   #6

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
back jacks

My understanding the jacks are meant for stabilizing only am I missing something?

thanks

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 07:57 AM   #7

You're right...stabilizing only. But you can use them to "tweak" leveling a bit...I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
My understanding the jacks are meant for stabilizing only am I missing something?

thanks

bob
Old 10-24-2017, 07:58 AM   #8

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
You're correct, Bob. To confuse, Atwood calls them "stabilizer jacks," and they are capable of lifting, but Scamp does not recommend using them that way because of the danger of twisting the frame. Jacking (i.e., lifting) the frame should be done from the main longitudinal frame rail behind the axle. But as Darrell says, raising them a notch or two to fine tune the level won't do any great harm as long as most of the weight remains on the wheels.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 08:12 AM   #9

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I put mine in where they fold to the rear so that IF they came down then would drag and not dig in.
Oriented this way they will extend towards the front and help fore and aft.
Quite possibly if you wanted the most stability having them in a vee with the legs at an angle towards the front would be optimum.
I happened to have two 1 1/2" tubes that carry the condenser unit for the heat pump and the entire front of my trailer is different and much modified so adding these jacks is a relatively minor mod on this trailer!

Attached Thumbnails
20171024_085406.jpg   20171024_085418.jpg  

20171024_085429.jpg  
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 09:45 AM   #10

Wow JD. That looks good. Nice mod! And you have them pointed the way I was thinking. Something I didnt think about but makes perfect sense as you mentioned, if they fall, they're going to drag to the rear. So pointed towards the front (when they're down) because of the way they're deployed is the way they will be most effective. First time I've seen this but like it.