Rear View Camera on Casita 17' SD - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2020, 01:12 PM   #1

Name: Bob
Trailer: Casita - 2019 SD17
Idaho
Rear View Camera on Casita 17' SD

I wish to put a rear view camera on the back of my 2019 Casita SD.

I searched for threads on this forum and found good information. However I pose the question again to address some specific questions I feel are pertinent to the task.

Before I make any kind of investment in electronics for the Casita, I want to be educated in both the product I purchase and best installation practices.

For the rear camera nay-sayers, I know many feel these cameras are not needed and a distraction when driving. I appreciate and understand your point of view. When driving without a trailer behind me, I use ALL of my mirrors to be aware of my driving environment. In my opinion, a rear view camera becomes my rear view mirror when towing.

Questions:

1. Wireless or wired?
I know that wired cameras are considered more reliable. I was hoping to avoid the wiring harness to the tow vehicle and the additional installation required for both the trailer and tow vehicle.

2. Camera power options?
I considered drilling a small hole behind the camera through the FG shell that would enter the top rear cabinet where, 12 VDC access is immediately available. If I used a wired camera, I would use the same hole for the video feed to the tow vehicle.

3. Mounting position?
I was planning on mounting the camera high, centered over the back window, giving me a bird's eye view of traffic behind me. Anther popular option is a license plate camera mounted at either bumper level or just above. The disadvantage of a license plate mount, puts the camera low and off-center. The advantage is the license plate light provides power to the camera and therefore no FG shell penetration necessary.

4. Wired to activate when towing lights are on or powered independently? If wired for independent power, the camera can also be used as a security camera when camping. Particularly when boondocking. In this case, I am also considering a forward looking camera as part of the system.

5. FG shell penetrations? If I penetrate the FG shell, what is the recommended penetration method? Silicone sealant? If not, what would be a recommended sealant? Rubber grommet? Is a rubber grommet adequate by itself? Etc.?

6. Camera angle of view? What is too wide or too narrow? Optimal?

7. Recommended brands, camera systems/monitors? Large monitor (7 inch) or small (5 inch).

8. To record or not to record video is the question? Monitor capable of recording video? Recommended recording length?

9. Mounting options? I was hoping to not penetrate the FG shell and to use some super strong double stick commercial grade tape. Recommendations? Is there a tape up to rugged road conditions a camera would be subjected to? Weight limitations?

10. Motion sensors? Has anyone considered motion activated camera(s)? The thought just came to mind as I was writing this post. Pro's/con's?
Bob Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 01:36 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Talk to these guys - they have lots of options and can configure a setup your way. Wireless runs on a different frequency than Bluetooth, so no interference at all. Consider mounting it inside underneath the upper cabinet if you don't want to penetrate the fiberglass. You'll have a cable with power & ground, plus a video connector that runs to the wireless transmitter (which I placed at the front of my trailer closest to the tow.)

For the monitor side, I VHB taped the receiver to the inside of the back window of my pickup, used a LONG computer mouse cable which I ran under the door sill, up the drivers side windshield pillar to above the drivers side visor.

I use the slip-over-the-OEM mirror display to avoid having another screen to mess with. Power is tapped into the trailer running lights for the camera.

https://www.tadibrothers.com/categor...camera-systems

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 02:57 PM   #3

Idaho
Thank you for your input, Charlie. I will definitely check it all out and give it some serious thought.

I considered mounting the camera on the back window for the reasons you mentioned.. A few posts that I read, say these cameras use an IR for night time video and the window disables night time viewing.

Excellent idea about the LONG mouse cable.
Old 03-31-2020, 04:39 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Penn View Post
Thank you for your input, Charlie. I will definitely check it all out and give it some serious thought.

I considered mounting the camera on the back window for the reasons you mentioned.. A few posts that I read, say these cameras use an IR for night time video and the window disables night time viewing.

Excellent idea about the LONG mouse cable.
Night time viewing all you will see are headlights; don't need night vision!

The Tadi system uses a PS/2 cable to route both power and video to the monitor.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 07:43 PM   #5

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
My understanding is that wireless cameras suffer from interference and dropouts, particularly in urban areas where there are a lot of "competing" signals.

Ultimately, it's also more difficult to push a high-resolution signal through the air. The lower reviews I see on Amazon for wireless cameras seem to reflect these issues.

I always figured that if I went with a camera behind the trailer, I'd go wired. I'd also go with something "less than elegant" in the installation, keeping it outside of the trailer. But, I haven't done it, so you can take that for what it's worth.

Others here on the forum will offer their "real-world" experience.

This web site offers what appears to be a good summary of pros and cons for each approach.

https://camera-source.com/blog/wired...t-for-your-car

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 07:59 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I took a "wireless" camera to a highly regarded installer and asked how much to install on the back of my RAV4 ( not even a trailer ). They quoted me $600 to install the $149 unit and said almost every one they had installed came back because of interference. That was several years ago. Also, you did have to install a power cord, so it wasn't really wireless.
Old 04-01-2020, 03:54 AM   #7

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
My wireless Voyager Camera is mounted inside the glass. Charlie is correct; at night you have headlights so the camera isn’t needed. But I, like many others, prefer not to tow after nightfall.
When Escape was building my trailer, I had them run a wire from the center pin of the umbilical to the cabinet over the rear dinette. The center pin is normally used for backup lights, activated when the tow vehicle is in reverse. With a bit of creative splicing, I put this conductor on a switch in the cab, so I can turn both the camera and monitor on or off at will. I find the side mirrors adequate when on the open road, but I use the system in heavy traffic such as when traversing metropolitan areas.
The Voyager is wireless. And yes, it isn’t as good as a wired system. But Installation and connection for each use is more complicated. The Voyager will pixelate a bit in metropolitan areas, most notably when going under overpassed.
I had a Tadi Bros. system like Charley recommends. It worked but I found it very “cluttered,” as it had two components at each end (a camera and separate transmitter, and a monitor and a receiver). That was OK at the camera end but the dashboard where the monitor was located was a mass of wires. I haven’t looked recently, but Tadi Bros. may have since “cleaned up their act.”
And I would reaffirm that using a monitor when your rear view camera is blocked by the object you are towing is no more distracting than glancing at a rear view mirror when not. We are not talking about watching a weekly episode of NCIS here.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 11:10 AM   #8

Name: Jon
Trailer: Casita
Arizona
Quote:

I searched for threads on this forum and found good information. However I pose the question again to address some specific questions I feel are pertinent to the task.

Before I make any kind of investment in electronics for the Casita, I want to be educated in both the product I purchase and best installation practices.

For the rear camera nay-sayers, I know many feel these cameras are not needed and a distraction when driving. I appreciate and understand your point of view. When driving without a trailer behind me, I use ALL of my mirrors to be aware of my driving environment. In my opinion, a rear view camera becomes my rear view mirror when towing.

Questions:

1. Wireless or wired?
I know that wired cameras are considered more reliable. I was hoping to avoid the wiring harness to the tow vehicle and the additional installation required for both the trailer and tow vehicle.

2. Camera power options?
I considered drilling a small hole behind the camera through the FG shell that would enter the top rear cabinet where, 12 VDC access is immediately available. If I used a wired camera, I would use the same hole for the video feed to the tow vehicle.

3. Mounting position?
I was planning on mounting the camera high, centered over the back window, giving me a bird's eye view of traffic behind me. Anther popular option is a license plate camera mounted at either bumper level or just above. The disadvantage of a license plate mount, puts the camera low and off-center. The advantage is the license plate light provides power to the camera and therefore no FG shell penetration necessary.

4. Wired to activate when towing lights are on or powered independently? If wired for independent power, the camera can also be used as a security camera when camping. Particularly when boondocking. In this case, I am also considering a forward looking camera as part of the system.

5. FG shell penetrations? If I penetrate the FG shell, what is the recommended penetration method? Silicone sealant? If not, what would be a recommended sealant? Rubber grommet? Is a rubber grommet adequate by itself? Etc.?

7. Recommended brands, camera systems/monitors? Large monitor (7 inch) or small (5 inch).

8. To record or not to record video is the question? Monitor capable of recording video? Recommended recording length?

9. Mounting options? I was hoping to not penetrate the FG shell and to use some super strong double stick commercial grade tape. Recommendations? Is there a tape up to rugged road conditions a camera would be subjected to? Weight limitations?

10. Motion sensors? Has anyone considered motion activated camera(s)? The thought just came to mind as I was writing this post. Pro's/con's?
Check out this site for wiring options. https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=...4dUDCAc&uact=5
Jon31433 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 11:26 AM   #9

Name: Dave
Trailer: Scamp
Missouri
Baby monitor as backup camera

Hi, I took the cheap way out and bought a wireless baby monitor to use as a backup camera. I mounted the camera to a suction cup cell phone mount and don't need to mount the "parent unit" in the car.
When I'm somewhere that requires backup view, I simply stick the camera to the back window of the scamp. It also supports night vision too (it is a baby monitor and needs to see in the dark!).
The baby monitor approach allows two way communication between the camera and the parent unit. Quite useful when my partner is helping me with guidance directions.
Resolution is not so great, but for my purpose I simple don't want to run into or over anything. It is fine for positioning the trailer.
Total outlay was less than $50.
Dpschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 11:40 AM   #10

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:

Questions:

1. Wireless or wired?

2. Camera power options?

3. Mounting position?

Our full time rear view camera is set off side like one for a license plate. It does not throw the vision sideways at all. They are wide angle enough that the foot or so off side makes no difference. We have one in our motorhome and want to put one in the trailer also. You need power to the camera and to the monitor. But you don't need the 2 wired to each other. Ours is from Tadi Brothers. If you want to mount it inside (to keep it clean) which would be nice you can run the camera from the 12v television plug-in. Then you could unplug it when you want to. You don't want power to it constantly when not driving as it would eventually run down a battery and most likely wear the camera out faster. The monitor we plugged into one of the 12v ports on the dash and set the monitor on the engine cover in our class C. In our tow vehicle we could set it on the dash. We got a 7 inch monitor(which the guy talked us into) and wish we'd only went with the 5 inch. The 7 inch is heavy and won't stay mounted without support under it. As far a night all you see pretty much is headlights and how close they are or if an emergency vehicle was behind you you'd see the flashing lights. Or if at a gas station you can see the pumps, etc at night.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 05:38 PM   #11

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
I mounted a Rear View Safety Camera (this is the name of the company) by using 3M VHS tape then a 3M 4200 sealant around and on top of that. Hard wired, I ran the power cable/camera cable (don't remember what it is called) down the outside of the center of the back window secured about half way, attached with velcro tape in spots, enclosed the cable in w black plastic loom, and down ti just about where the spare tire is mounted, around the tire, under the trailer to the front of the trailer where I had a plug in connector attached to a piece of square wood block painted black as was the simple metal bracket screwed to the frame. I then used a coil type of cable with a plug in/screw on connector to this, and to the truck. I used this type of cable because it allowed a bit of movement yet kept the cable from dragging on the ground and was quickly and easily detached when the trailer was unhitched. The other end of this cable was mounted to a plug in connector permanently mounted on the bumper area of my Tundra, which was plastic, so it was easy to mount. I then ran this wire inside the front seat area where I had it plugged into its own video monitor (detachable and mounted on one of those metal snake type of things which was attached to the passenger seat floor bolt), so I could see the monitor when driving. This worked very well, looked like it was professionally installed and was simple and cheap. The camera and monitor combo was expensive however.
Old 04-02-2020, 10:40 AM   #12

Idaho
Thank you!

I wish to thank everyone for their reply to my Casita Rear View Camera post. I find this forum very educational, particularly considering that I am very new to RVing. I appreciate the huge wealth of knowledge and experience available here.

While we all wait anxiously for the current road block to RVing to clear, I am using this time to learn more and prepare for when when the flood gates open. I have gained a lot of sage advice by reading all of the new posts on this site. At this time in my life of diminishing memory capacity, I hope that I remember enough to keep me out of trouble as I jump into this new and exciting journey.

Again, thank you to everyone for your valued help.
Old 04-11-2020, 03:10 PM   #13

Name: Larry
Trailer: Casita17'Spirit Deluxe (aka: Tweaker's Casita)
Southwest Ohio
Registry
External Backup Camera on Casita Spirit Deluxe

Last year, I put a backup camera on my Casita that I picked up from someone during one of the rallys. It included a night vision camera, 4.3” monitor and a wiring harness. I added an inexpensive wireless transmitter/receiver that I bought from Amazon.

I mounted the camera on the belly band just above the spare tire, ran the wiring in a wiremold tucked under the belly band to a point just above the left taillight into a fiberglass electric box suspended from the belly band where I placed the wireless transmitter. Using the rest of the wiremold, I ran the wiring from the electric box down the Casita and into the side of the backup/brake/running light assembly where I spliced it to the backup light wiring. Finally, I used silicone caulk to seal the ends of the wiremold & the electric box & cover and the pinhole into the backup light assembly.

When needed, the monitor and wireless receiver is a plug/play connection in my tow vehicle’s cigarette power jack.

I have found that it’s best to use my TV’s side mirrors when backing into a campsite without the backup camera. The camera is great once I get the Casita lined up in the campsite to insure that I’m not backing in to far or into something. I do not use the camera when driving.
Attached Thumbnails
Casit Rear View Camera.jpg  
LarryB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 03:10 AM   #14

Name: Natalie
Trailer: ford
mexico
After reading many reviews about the backup camera from Furrion, I decided to buy it. It is supposed to be plug-n-play. My 2019 Coleman RV was built with rear camera wiring already installed. I downloaded the user manual online which gave me more information on how to set up this camera. I think one of its strongest features is the 4.3-inch anti-glare screen, which is effective at automatically adjusting contrast, brightness, and color day or night.
Natalie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 11:47 AM   #15

Name: Natalie
Trailer: ford
mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalie21 View Post
After reading many reviews about the backup camera from Furrion, I decided to buy it. It is supposed to be plug-n-play. My 2019 Coleman RV was built with rear camera wiring already installed. I downloaded the user manual online which gave me more information on how to set up this camera. I think one of its strongest features is the 4.3-inch anti-glare screen, which is effective at automatically adjusting contrast, brightness, and color day or night.
Installing this backup camera is as easy as connecting the associated peripherals, mounting the camera at the back, and powering the unit. People can start backing up their RVs with confidence while improving their situational awareness on the road.
Natalie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 12:43 PM   #16

Name: Gary
Trailer: 2019 Casita FD
Georgia
Love this! Thanks!
georgiagary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 12:44 PM   #17

Name: Gary
Trailer: 2019 Casita FD
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpschu View Post
Hi, I took the cheap way out and bought a wireless baby monitor to use as a backup camera. I mounted the camera to a suction cup cell phone mount and don't need to mount the "parent unit" in the car.
When I'm somewhere that requires backup view, I simply stick the camera to the back window of the scamp. It also supports night vision too (it is a baby monitor and needs to see in the dark!).
The baby monitor approach allows two way communication between the camera and the parent unit. Quite useful when my partner is helping me with guidance directions.
Resolution is not so great, but for my purpose I simple don't want to run into or over anything. It is fine for positioning the trailer.
Total outlay was less than $50.
Love this. Thanks!
georgiagary is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita