Rearview Camera? Anyone use? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2020, 12:40 PM   #1

Name: Jeff
Trailer: 2018 13' Scamp
Minnesota
Question Rearview Camera? Anyone use?

I have been thinking it might be nice to have a camera on the back of my 13' Scamp to see behind me, does anyone have any experience? Use of? Recommendations?
jeffminnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 12:48 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffminnesota View Post
I have been thinking it might be nice to have a camera on the back of my 13' Scamp to see behind me, does anyone have any experience? Use of? Recommendations?

Here you go: https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...s-75534-2.html

Best is GOAL. Get Out And Look.
Old 11-01-2020, 02:15 PM   #3

Minnesota
Thanks Glenn, what I was thinking of was a quick check behind the trailer to see if I have traffic piling up behind me, I am so considerate!
Old 11-01-2020, 02:39 PM   #4

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Jeff, lots of people, I for one, have set up cameras in order to see behind their trailers in traffic or to aid in backing. While I never back into a tight space without first getting out to look or having my spouse do so, the camera is very helpful in any number of situations. Bear in mind as a relatively new member of the forum, there are a handful of people here who will discourage you from doing something for no valid reason other than they just don’t like it......they just seem to think that everyone should follow their perceived “rules.” And quite often they have no experience in that which is in question, they have tunnel vision and expect everyone else should follow their lead and do it their way. If you think a camera would meet your needs, I would tell you to go for it.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 03:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Thanks Glenn, what I was thinking of was a quick check behind the trailer to see if I have traffic piling up behind me, I am so considerate!

All you have to do is check your mirror while moving from one side of your lane to the other, or look in the mirror on a curve. On a sunny day, I'll look for vehicle shadows.
BTW, I'm not telling Carl to remove his rear view camera.
Old 11-01-2020, 03:30 PM   #6

Minnesota
besides, I like gadgets, I would rather have a camera than a mirror!
Old 11-01-2020, 03:39 PM   #7

Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
BTW, I'm not telling Carl to remove his rear view camera.
That’s a good thing because I don’t listen to much of what certain people say, especially those who’s posts are often not helpful, or even gauche, asking Escape Owner Forum members if they “wipe their bums.”
Old 11-01-2020, 04:03 PM   #8

Quote:
besides, I like gadgets, I would rather have a camera than a mirror!

Another instruction manual to read.
Old 11-01-2020, 07:49 PM   #9

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Minnesota nice !
We got the factory backup camera with our 2018 Escape and have never used it ( Still in original carton)
I attribute this to the fact that I know how to use my mirrors and I have no desire to learn how to use the camera
I guess I am just not a gadget guy !
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 09:23 PM   #10

Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Minnesota nice !
We got the factory backup camera with our 2018 Escape and have never used it ( Still in original carton)
I attribute this to the fact that I know how to use my mirrors and I have no desire to learn how to use the camera
I guess I am just not a gadget guy !
Actually, a mirror is a gadget. If someone has poor eyesight, their glasses are a gadget. A computer or smart phone, whichever you are using to post is a gadget. I’m guessing most of us use utensils, a knife, a fork, and a spoon to eat. All three are gadgets. Getting personal here now, but before you retired, you were an electrician. Surely you used meters in your work, also gadgets, as is the truck you use to tow your trailer. So again, I am guessing when I make the deduction that you are OK with some gadgets but not others. The woodworkers I know all have handsaws and know how to use them very well. They also have table saws, mitre saws, and some even have bandsaws. Never have I heard any one of them say I don’t need the “gadget” saws because I know how to use my hand saws. And as an electrician and being my age, I’m wondering if you rejected those new fangled gadgets called wire nuts when they were approved for use, or if you became a gadget guy. Rear view cameras are just another useful tool, not some “mystical” gadget for those who choose not to use them. I personally have no problem with anyone who chooses not to use a back up camera, it’s a personal choice, just like I have no problem with someone who smokes or who doesn’t wear a seatbelt. I guess I’m not a “risky behavior guy. I learned to back up vehicles and trailers using mirrors long before cameras came into use and I know how to use them. But I chose to install a camera for its ADDED benefits and referring to it as a gadget isn’t going to shame me one bit, nor should it shame anyone else. You are correct, back-up cameras are not necessary “gadgets.” Neither is cruise control or a radio, but they are nice to have. To each his/her own is my philosophy.
Old 11-01-2020, 09:41 PM   #11

Whew.
Old 11-01-2020, 10:03 PM   #12

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
Actually, a mirror is a gadget. If someone has poor eyesight, their glasses are a gadget. A computer or smart phone, whichever you are using to post is a gadget. I’m guessing most of us use utensils, a knife, a fork, and a spoon to eat. All three are gadgets. Getting personal here now, but before you retired, you were an electrician. Surely you used meters in your work, also gadgets, as is the truck you use to tow your trailer. So again, I am guessing when I make the deduction that you are OK with some gadgets but not others. The woodworkers I know all have handsaws and know how to use them very well. They also have table saws, mitre saws, and some even have bandsaws. Never have I heard any one of them say I don’t need the “gadget” saws because I know how to use my hand saws. And as an electrician and being my age, I’m wondering if you rejected those new fangled gadgets called wire nuts when they were approved for use, or if you became a gadget guy. Rear view cameras are just another useful tool, not some “mystical” gadget for those who choose not to use them. I personally have no problem with anyone who chooses not to use a back up camera, it’s a personal choice, just like I have no problem with someone who smokes or who doesn’t wear a seatbelt. I guess I’m not a “risky behavior guy. I learned to back up vehicles and trailers using mirrors long before cameras came into use and I know how to use them. But I chose to install a camera for its ADDED benefits and referring to it as a gadget isn’t going to shame me one bit, nor should it shame anyone else. You are correct, back-up cameras are not necessary “gadgets.” Neither is cruise control or a radio, but they are nice to have. To each his/her own is my philosophy.
Well that’s good to hear cause I enjoy a good cheap cigar on occasion !
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 06:52 AM   #13

Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
Steve, since you never used your gadget rear view camera, why don't you ship to Jeff! Speaking of rear view camera gadget thingys, I really like one on my truck when hooking up my trailers!
Old 11-02-2020, 09:57 AM   #14

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Had one, removed it.

Quote:

Hi, I installed a rear-view camera in the back window of my Escape 19. Admittedly it lost wireless signal frequently, resulting in a jarring and distracting pattern on the mirror-mounted monitor, but even when it functioned fine I found it dangerously distracting while driving. It was only marginally helpful with backing as there was no sense of depth (even with a projected pattern). I removed mine and was glad to have it gone.
Glenn Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 10:04 AM   #15

Name: Vicki
Trailer: 2019 Scamp 13' with 2015 Nissan Frontier V6
Alabama
You can buy a backup camera and wire it into the running lights of the camper instead of the backup lights. As long as the running lights are on, there will be power to the camera and you will be able to use the camera to see behind you while driving.
Vicki Hale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 10:07 AM   #16

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Put back up camera on the back of our Casita. Never used it. Doubt that I will ever put on on the back of our BF which is about 28' long.
Old 11-02-2020, 10:25 AM   #17

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I have used a wireless rear view camera before installing wired RVC and I have installed them s a baby cam in the back.
I think a wireless ?wired with the camera at the rear of the camper, but the wireless transmitter in the front of the trailer so that you can get a better signal.
I haven't tried this yet, but it is on my list when I have a little more disposable time and money.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 10:42 AM   #18
MJo

Name: Mary Jo
Trailer: 2020 Scamp w/2004 Volvo XC-70
Massachusetts
rearview camera

JeffMinnesota, my goodness !! all those helpful replies !! like me, maybe order from Amazon so you can return it if it doesn't work. don’t new cars have rearview cameras? (my car is 16 yo) guess some people find them helpful. I’m thinking of rearview camera also. there’s an old discussion on the subject. good luck. Scamp has them on their new option list. do a search, you’ll find a couple of recent discussions. MJo
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 11:12 AM   #19

Name: Harry
Trailer: Parkliner
Virginia
Rear camera user

Quote:
I use a Haloview MC7101 2.4G digital wireless camera system with a 7-inch monitor. This system can use four input cameras and monitor that many inputs on the split screen option of its monitor. I only have one camera that I use full time while towing. The camera is hard wired to power inside my Parkliner with a toggle switch to turn it on/off. I have had no wireless camera to dash monitor communication issues. The monitor is large but one gets use to it on the dash. I had a problem with the monitor staying put on the dash until I discovered that a tablet computer mount (from Walmart) would work much better than the supplied mount. I tried other systems that did not work out for me before getting the Haloview. This Haloview has been a faithful system for 2+ years.
I installed the first unsuccessful camera system after an incident in heavy traffic. I needed to make a lane change and the other vehicles would not let me merge into their lane. With only the mirrors, I could not see far enough behind me to see if there could be a merging hole before my lane ran out. Now, I can see what is going on behind me much better than with mirrors.
I use mainly my mirrors to backup, but the camera system does help.
hp in va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 11:19 AM   #20

Name: Mike & Cathy
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Florida
Quote:

We got the rearview camera option on our 2019 Escape 21C.

My only regret is the way the camera is powered. Currently, the camera is only powered on if the headlights are on. If I were ordering the trailer again, I would have ETI make two changes for the installation:

1) Power the camera via a switch inside the camper
2) Install a second (forward-facing) camera on the front of the camper

The included camera monitor can support up to 4 different cameras, and I would like to use the camera(s) for security monitoring while "boondocked" in parking or other areas.

A second, forward-facing camera could also be used to view/monitor the tow vehicle (and kayaks on top) while driving. (The backup camera on my truck already allows me to make quick visual checks on the camper while driving.)
IMJ in FLA is offline   Reply With Quote