Rebuild of a Trillium Sportsman - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2013, 09:54 PM   #81

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
I agree with Donna. Very impressive!
I wonder if starting with a blank slate makes things go quicker than trying to work around original?
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:03 AM   #82

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
Good Morning Roy
You may be right about having a blank slate, it is easier and faster when there is not a lot of stuff to work around. There is another aspect to that though, it is slower as you have to build the whole thing not just modify what is there or fit it into a existing space with generally existing structure there to attach to.
The tool setup for a small job is the same for a larger job so doing upper cabinets, 1/2 hour setup time and knockdown time is same for 1 upper or 2 sets of uppers. One of the things that I have found is procedure eats up the most time when doing some aspects, an example would be glueing in the backing pieces for all the cabinets the lines are marked the pieces are cut then prop boards are cut to hold pieces into place and the more backing the more prop boards ( which are sacrificial) then glue them them, prop, and set wait 24 hours for glue to set up. If I missed a piece because of a change of mind or had to wait for ensolite to go in then another 24 hours, different prop board measurements etc. This can eat up time and money. Smaller jobs smaller problems.
It is very nice to build it exactly the way Deb and I want it. Coming from a Boler with very small spaces for accessable storage to the Sportsman in which has lots of accessable storage will be the ultimate for us, even though it is a lot of work.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0728.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	58866
As you can see in the picture lots of blocks to glue and hold into place while glue sets (glad to see the end of those, that is behind upper cabinets now)
Ryan
ryan parsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:33 PM   #83

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Amazing job Ryan! Nice to see the pictures of all your custom work. We are pondering out next trailer rebuild and like the inspiration!
Old 05-09-2013, 09:17 PM   #84

Thursday and life got in the way of the Sportsman today so very little done just a little staining and varathaning. we did manage to get the bed foam today had it custom cut to the side contours of the Sportsman.

Name:	IMG_1038.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	136.5 KB
ID:	58907
Tomorrow hope to get the trim in and some of the wiring started.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:21 PM   #85

Friday the upper trim is done picture shows 11/16 corner moulding, this covers the 1/4 in plywood edge. Chose wood instead of the plastic edging as I am a wood guy.

Name:	IMG_1039.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	58928

Name:	IMG_1041.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	58929

Name:	IMG_1040.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	58930
Also started the 12 v wiring, 2 exterior lights one on each side, 5 interior lights, 2 power points, 1 hood fan, and 1 fantastic vent. The rear tail lights after that and then the 120 volt stuff/ you can see in the pictures that have run some of the wires in upper cabinets and that I am using the gap beside the door for main wire runs to converter in bottom cabinet. Some of the pig tails are also visible hanging under cabinets. All 120 volt will run in bottom cabinets and under trailer.
I am like a kid in a candy store every time I go to RV store, always come out with more than I need but what the heck you only go around once so might as well have what I want.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:31 PM   #86

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan parsons View Post
I am like a kid in a candy store every time I go to RV store, always come out with more than I need but what the heck you only go around once so might as well have what I want.
That's the attitude!

One of the best bumper stickers I've ever seen says "Spend your kids inheritenace... you'll appreciate it more than they will."

True story... think about it
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:57 PM   #87

It is Sunday and 4 days to go before we tow it to Osoyoos (finished or not) yesterday and today got the driving lights rewired and all 12 volt wiring in just converter hookup and 120 volt left to do ( I have not even considered the propane yet). Finished the window backing and fantastic vent backing.

Name:	IMG_1045.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	59010

Name:	IMG_1046.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	59011
pics of window and vent backing

Name:	IMG_1048.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	59013
for my brides reading light , I ran the wire in the vent cavity for the fridge and left 1 hot and 1 ground in cavity for further use most likely a light.

Name:	IMG_1047.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	59012
the recycled hoof fan and ceiling lights

Name:	IMG_1049.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	164.7 KB
ID:	59014
120 volt breaker switch panel and 1 plug with 2 usb plugs in with it. The bottom is a 12 volt power point. I have a 12 volt power point in the rear under bed also for - whatever.
tomorrow converter and 120 volt side.
Happy Mothers Day to all the mom's out there!!
Old 05-13-2013, 08:13 PM   #88

Monday and the one thing I truly dislike is electrical it always seems to bite me, like today!!, thought I had the 120 volt stuff all figuired out then plugged it in and nothing not even a blown breaker, man O man time to call in the reinforcements!!! And yes there is power to the exterior plug but!!!
Old 05-14-2013, 06:50 AM   #89

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
Have you drawn out a schematic of your layout that you can share?
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:37 PM   #90

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan parsons View Post
Monday and the one thing I truly dislike is electrical it always seems to bite me, like today!!, thought I had the 120 volt stuff all figuired out then plugged it in and nothing not even a blown breaker, man O man time to call in the reinforcements!!! And yes there is power to the exterior plug but!!!
First time I energize any electrical project, I close my eyes. If nothing explodes, I figure that is a good thing. Nothing happening is better then smoke. A bit more difficult to diagnose though.
I second the request for a schematic.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:41 PM   #91

Texas
I would highly recommend if you havent yet is go to Lowes or HD and for about 10 bucks you can buy an AC sniffer that lights and buzzes as you run it along a 120/240 wire. You can check switches and outlets and see if AC is there and follow it to where it dies from port to port.
If you Rest, You Rust
Old 05-14-2013, 10:05 PM   #92

I called in the troops but he had to run along after 10 mins, He wasn't to much help so 8 hrs later I have it working well enough for the weekend. I don't have a schematic but still will draw one up when I know how to draw one up. It is safe and my plug tester registered good for the 120 volt plugs, and the 12 volt side and converter are working but the darn hong kong gang breakers won't switch things off, I think they are faulty. I hooked one up separately and it wouldn't shut the circuit off, they were the main problem all along. They are all bypassed for now and will rely on my friends circuit breakers in his home in Osoyoos for safety. will rethink breaker switches after I get a reply back from Leimarine in Hong Kong if they are indeed faulty or application is wrong. They are 120-250volt ac, 36volt dc switched breakers so they should work. My friend in Sicamous is a master marine electrical engineer but can't get a hold of him, he was the electrical guru at Waterway houseboats when I worked there. So tomorrow on to other more pressing things, access doors, arborite and whatever else happens along.

Name:	IMG_1051.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	151.4 KB
ID:	59081

Name:	IMG_1053.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	59083
The shore power plug I used the old hole for the city water connection and cut the back off of the water connection fitting and then used the past owners homemade shore power plug and attached it to the ressurrected water connection plate voila two birds down with one stone.

Name:	IMG_1052.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	59082
Old 05-15-2013, 08:44 PM   #93

Just about ready for the weekend, completed a few things today. Arborite is done and countertops attached.
Attachment 59109
Attachment 59110
Attachment 59111
Also remounted the old heater. The gas is not hooked up yet but that will have to wait until next week.
Attachment 59112
One side storage compartment completed, they always take longer than they should when you have to adapt. The door was for a flat side modern trailer with no exterior fastening system so I made a liner for the inside of trailer out of 3/4 inch birch ply

Name:	IMG_1056.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	156.7 KB
ID:	59113

Name:	IMG_1057.JPG
Size:	188.4 KB
ID:	59114
I then rounded off the corners as the bulk was not needed only about 1 1/4 inch all the way around. I then drilled in new screw holes so it could be screwed from the outside and butyl on the door flange, then put it in.

Name:	IMG_1060.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	59116
Picture showing inside of compartment door

Name:	IMG_1061.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	59115
got a few other odds and ends done to tie up a few wires and remove old propane line from under trailer it had way to many dings in it to use again.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:46 PM   #94

something happened to the arborite attachments so here they are

Name:	IMG_1062.JPG
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	59117

Name:	IMG_1063.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	135.8 KB
ID:	59118

Name:	IMG_1064.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	165.0 KB
ID:	59119

Name:	IMG_1065.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	59120
Old 05-16-2013, 07:30 AM   #95

Texas
I am a bit disappointed in that I have yet to see the jacuzzi and sports bar. Other then that I am jealous.
Your hard work is paying off big time and your talents are enviable.
If you Rest, You Rust
Old 05-16-2013, 08:06 AM   #96

Name: Imogene
Trailer: 2013 Casita
Missouri
All I can say is WOW! Sure wish I had your talents.
Imo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 05:20 PM   #97

Thank you Mike and Imogene. It took me 35 yrs to learn this stuff, I wish I was closer to others as I would love to lend a hand on some projects. Now the sports bar, I wish you would have mentioned it earlier while I was in design stage, will have to settle for drinking at the fishing holes, that will be my sports bar. In my younger days when I was a custom Van guy-- weLLLL never mind that was a different kind of sporting event!! LOL
We are all cleaned up and curtains coming in two hours, threw in some old upholstery so my butt doesn't go flat when sitting around. It is otherwise ready for maiden voyage. Yes the compartment fits the pontoon boat and cooler. NO the fishing rods don't fit in there hole, some adjustments when I get back. If other designs are good I won't hear any complaints from my bride this weekend so here is hoping all is well. Of course there will be the usual no cupboard doors and no flooring complaints but I can grow a deaf ear real quick!! LOL Will post under way picks if My daughter has her computer working.
Ryan
Old 05-16-2013, 09:29 PM   #98

Nothing brings the whole thing together like fabric, the curtains!, wow did Debs friend Rhonda do a job on them! The inner fabric is outdoor furniture stuff with a black out liner on the outer (which is light brown who woodda thunk black is actually brown) the bottom has a weighted strip sewn in so they hang and roll up nicely

Name:	IMG_1075.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	259.5 KB
ID:	59149
The velco sticky part didn't get here yet so just pinned for the weekend, it will do nicely

Name:	IMG_1070.JPG
Size:	159.1 KB
ID:	59150

Name:	IMG_1073.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	59151
they look good all rolled up. The upholstery is being made from the same fabric, and the bed foam cover from the black out fabric.

Name:	IMG_1074.JPG
Size:	150.7 KB
ID:	59152
little side window curtain.
Starting to look like the picture in my head.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:40 PM   #99

The first trip out and a couple of issues popped up, first is broke the front door lock needs a new one, a patch of ensolite let go, it is about 12 x 16 inches, have yet to deal with it but I feel it is lack of glue, the other issue is rear corner cabinets don't fit my fly rods so a little modification required ( curvature of rear upper roof won't allow rods to go up and then back into hole) solution make door hole bigger. also rain leaked in rear door glass, no sealant on top of plastic frame, this is a easy fix when it stops raining but has to dry out first. The other most important thing was the distribution of weight close to being equal on each side of the trailer, I thought it was going to be close. The fact is my truck is to big to feel anything and the trailer didn't whip back and forth so I guess it is close.
We stopped and weighed it still attached to my truck with just trailer wheels on scales it weighed in at 1010 kgs (2222 lbs). The trailer full of camping gear, pontoon boat, fishing gear, fridge full, but some cupboards still lacking some of the regular stuff we take along. Before I weighed it completely empty and then the plywood I removed, that total was 1848 lbs, I sure wish now I would have weighed it when I got it but that weight we will never know. Things that go into it yet are battery, cupboard doors, flooring and front cushions. This will bring the weight up about 150 lbs. I will weigh again when empty after finishing off trailer then again loaded so I know and will post for others. The weight is important as I need new axle so I don't want to under size it or go way overboard on it. We were pleased with the roomy feel compared to the Boler and with the places to put stuff! Need to put logos on the sides and few small touches out then it will be complete. attached are pictures of trailer in Osoyoos in the rain

Name:	IMG_1097.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	165.2 KB
ID:	59444

Name:	IMG_1098.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	144.7 KB
ID:	59445
Old 05-22-2013, 08:05 PM   #100

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
For as much as you accomplished and so quickly, sounds like things are working out pretty well all around. Yes, you've found some issues but we've heard similar things from trailers right from the factory.

Have fun, safe travels too
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium