Rebuilding Scamp 13’ in KS - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2013, 10:13 PM   #1

Name: Bob
Trailer: Scamp
Kansas
Thumbs up Rebuilding Scamp 13’ in KS

I’m finally making some progress on my rebuild. The first thing I tackled was to replace the rotted floor under the couch by the door. This turned into a real head scratcher. When I cut the floor loose the right front of the trailer flopped forward and out. I attached a ratcheting tie down to the bottom of the trailer to pull it forward and one to the square tubing at the front edge of the door opening to pull it back in. When I would get it to where it looked right looking down the side of the trailer the door wouldn’t fit right. It would stick out top back and bottom front. I could adjust the tie downs to where the door fit but looking down the side of the trailer it didn’t look right. Took the door off and checked it with a level and found it was twisted.
For a fix I made some cuts on the inner glass then made a jig to hold the door in shape and glassed it back together. It worked!! I added a piece of oak for the latch and handle to screw to. The old wood was rotten. I also filled the hole for the handle and lowered it 1” to give room for a piece of trim I was going to put on to match the belly band. With the door fitting I then put in the new floor piece and added a beefier vertical brace out to the body.
Bob
To Be Continued.
Attached Thumbnails
Cramped work area (1).jpg   Door in jig (1).jpg  

Door in jig (2).jpg   RF floor - after.jpg  

BOBco. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:20 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Looks good Bob I find the work folks like you do to rehab these trailers is simply amazing!

Thanks for posting the pics too
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:38 PM   #3

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2008 13' Scamp
British Columbia
Good job "doing it right". Nothing more visually jarring than a door that doesn't fit right. The exterior looks nice and shiny, keep up the good work.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:48 PM   #4

Kansas
I have new floors and bench supports! All it took was a few drops of blood, several large clumps of hair, 35 paint brushes, 3pkgs glass mat, 1.4gals resin, a tube of caulk, some screws and 2 sheets of flooring.
Normally when doing a major project there would be tools rocketing through the garage followed by a few choice words but this thing just makes me smile.
Attached Thumbnails
Rear floor.jpg   0324131936-01.jpg  

Old 04-17-2013, 09:55 PM   #5

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Hi Bob,

How about throwing in some cushions or an air mattress and come up to the gathering in Minden, NE in May. You will fit right in with our group. We would like to see how the work is going. If you have any questions there will be people who have been there before you (not us, we have no rehab skills).

Wow, does that outside look beautiful. Will enjoy watching your work, please keep us updated.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:05 AM   #6

Kansas
Hi Nancy,
Thanks for the invite but the trailer wont be any where close to being ready. No windows or vents and the out side just looks good in the picture. Needs repainting. In person you can still read Branson Police Dept on the side and there is some small areas I'm repairing. I would like to attend a gathering. Maybe next year.
Bob
Old 03-07-2016, 10:16 PM   #7

Kansas
Back at it!!

Life keeps getting in the way of my trailer rebuild but I'm going to get it done this year one way or the other.
just installed a 2000 lb. Flexiride Torsion Axle that I purchased from www.trailerpart.com. They where nice to deal with and they sold me the axle cheaper than advertised because I didn't need the hubs that came with it. I received it 6 days after ordering. I bought the Flexride because I liked the idea of the ride height being adjustable.
The installation
The original axle was a leading arm and mounted behind the floor. The new is a trailing arm and mounts under the floor.
Street side bracket
welded a 4 1/2" tall plate to bottom of frame rail up against the floor drop. welded a 5" tall plate to outside of frame rail. Welded a 1 1/2" wide plate with axle mounting holes to bottom of both.
Attached Thumbnails
Street side axle bracket.jpg  
Old 03-07-2016, 10:31 PM   #8

Kansas
Curb side bracket
Clamped a 4' piece of 1 1/2" angle to a piece of 3" square tubing then a 12" piece on the other side. this left a1/4" gap. laid apiece of 1/4" rod in the gap and welded the two together. pulled the tubing off and welded the inside. Ground both sides flat. Drilled 2 holes and welded on nuts for the axle mounting pads. Also drilled holes out from the nuts for welding to the frame. Drilled holes in original frame to clear nuts.
Attached Thumbnails
Curb side axle bracket  (1).jpg   Curb side axle bracket  (2).jpg  

Curb side axle bracket  (3).jpg   Curb side axle bracket  (6).jpg  

Old 03-08-2016, 12:17 AM   #9

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Looking good Bob, I really like the jig you made up for the door, best one I've seen.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 05:55 PM   #10

Name: Tony
Trailer: Scamp - "The Haunted Mansion" (13') and TBD (16')
Colorado
Registry
Great job! I love the jig for the door. Wish we had that when we were doing ours! Keep up the good work!
Sohkraites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 09:52 PM   #11

Kansas
Thanks guys. I ended up doing more work on the door. Moved it 1/8" back to make the gaps look more even and 1/2" up because it hung below the body and looking at the inside it looked like it should be up. Cut 1/2 off the top to get the gap back. Also put more curve in the door from top to bottom. I new that you could use heat to get street rod or race car fiberglass back in shape but didn't know if it would work on the door with the fiberboard sandwiched in the middle. Worked fine. probably could of used heat to take the twist out.
Pic below shows before and after of door and ride height with new axle.
Bob
Attached Thumbnails
As purchased (1).jpg   WP_20160306_09_54_23_Pro (3).jpg  

Old 03-13-2016, 08:33 PM   #12

Kansas
70 year old bumper for the scamp

Just finished installing a 1946 ford front bumper on the Scamp. Gives it some bling. Also moved water fill from corner to back. I'll be moving the tail lights out. They are an oval light similar to a 42-48 Ford and I'll
be molding in a housing extension similar to a 42-48 Ford.
Bob
Attached Thumbnails
46 Ford front bumper (3).jpg   46 Ford front bumper (2).jpg  

46 Ford front bumper (1).jpg  
Old 04-02-2016, 09:31 PM   #13

Kansas
Beauty rings and Baby Moons for the original Scamp wheels.

Bought some beauty rings and Baby moon hubcaps for the original scamp wheels. Most places I looked at only had plastic beauty rings. This place had stainless steel ones Hubcaps Wheel Covers | Hubcap Mike's | Buy New Hub Caps Online .
I bought the 13" rings Trim Rings Solid Stainless Steel Beauty Rings Polished to Chrome Luster .
And these hubcaps http://www.hubcapmike.com/rc2m-baby-moon-.html. I bent the tabs on the rings a bit to make them easier to install but they fit fine. The hubcaps almost fit. They did snap on but rattled. I put a spot weld on top of the nubs on the wheels and ground them down to .135" and they fit fine. The nubs where originally only .080" tall. See pics.
I really like the classic look. Next powder coat the wheels red and new tires.
Bob
PS did some measuring and the dust caps on my new brake drums would hit the Baby moons. But the original dust cap will clear. I'll bore out the center of the original caps so I can install the rubber cover from the center of the new dust cap. Will still be able to grease the hubs with out removing the dust caps.
Attached Thumbnails
Orig Scamp Wheels (5).jpg   Orig Scamp Wheels (7).jpg  

Orig Scamp Wheels (8).jpg   Orig Scamp Wheels (4).jpg  

Old 04-02-2016, 09:59 PM   #14

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
Registry
Nice Job Bob

Very Nice...

What a great find also with the SS polished rings.

Keep us posted with Photos of the build

Bill

(2) Big Green Eggs for cooking..(1) Egg for camping
BillE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 09:08 PM   #15

Kansas
New Tail lights

This took a lot more time than I thought it would. Had to make a plug, make a mold then make the part. I have 3 complete weekends in this little project.
The tail light are now up higher and out farther than they where originally.
1st pic, plug and mold.
2nd pic, new part.
3rd and 4th pic, installed on trailer.
Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Tail Lights (6).jpg   Tail Lights (8).jpg  

Tail Lights (15).jpg   Tail Lights (16).jpg  

Old 04-10-2016, 09:15 PM   #16

Kansas
Other Mods

I put a piece of belly band an the door like I've seen others on here do. Think it makes the door side look more finished.
Installed a clearance light on the back that also has 3rd brake light and blinker functions.
Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Door trim.jpg   Tail Lights (18).jpg  

Old 04-10-2016, 11:03 PM   #17

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
Like what you have done, the jig for the door was pretty ingenious. I had similar problems with my door, entire inside wood was mush...ended up fabricating a frame out of square tubing then still had minor fit problems with opposite corners. At that point the frame was too solid to easily bend so I ended up making one out of conduit and got a perfect fit. Your tail lights work is very impressive...I would love to add some fins to mine with tails light similar to a 55 to 57 chevy but my skills are not that good...yet anyway.
Johnny M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp