Rebuilidng Front Couch to Dinette - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2006, 12:47 PM   #1

Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13 ft
Send a message via Yahoo to Jackie
I have removed the fiberglass bottom bunk/couch in my 1977 Scamp, and am rebuilding it into a dinette for two.

My question is: where is it most convenient to place the storage access doors? It originally came with the 'hole' under the cushions.

Would it be more convenient to have a front opening hinged door by the Scamp door, and a drop-down door between the seats on the kitchen side seat? Or should I keep the 'hole'? Or do both?

I currently have the battery under the seat on the kitchen side (AGM - big - heavy)) so, is that a consideration?
Jackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 02:49 PM   #2

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Hi Jackie,

here is how I did mine:

Click image for larger version

Name:	hatch.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	2091

I store lightweight, but frequently used items there. With the door in front, all is easily accessible, and I stand outside to reach in instead of bending down to get in there.

Middle aged battle cry: *Help! I have bent over and I can't get up!*

Click image for larger version

Name:	hatchopen.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	2092

Your battery up front is a consideration, yes. Store things like empty water bottles, jack stands, clips, maybe some power cords and hoses up there. All stuff you will use every trip and part of your set up. Makes things quick!
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 03:51 PM   #3

Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13 ft
Jackie,
We are making the entire lid/seat removable. That way those odd shaped things can just drop in and we don't have to figit to get them into a little door.
We figured that there were a certain amount of need it now stuff that can be easily accessed from outside. We put a hole in the seat to put the fingers in to lift it open. Then cushions over. I had thought about covering the wood seat, but then I have to invent another way to open.
Faith

Faith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 09:08 PM   #4

Trailer: 1972 Boler 13 ft
We want to start this same mod, but have noticed that the front gaucho is fibreglassed in at the front edge by the door and also a wooden divider is fibreglassed in at the middle. This is a 72 Boler with the raised floor front and rear. Has anyone else encountered this? We were hoping to remove everything in one piece so it could be replaced. Any advice?
Barbara Gardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 09:17 PM   #5

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
I currently have the battery under the seat on the kitchen side [b](AGM - big - heavy) so, is that a consideration?
From my experience, it would be easier on your back to lift it straight up, than to pull it out from the front of a cupboard door with a lip to lift it over; if you are going to access it from inside. So, if it were me, I would keep the lid on top under the cushion.
Old 04-12-2006, 12:12 AM   #6

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Jackie,

I've contemplated doing what you are doing. I'd make the top access holes as well has have doors on the side of the cabinets/seats.

Then you got them if you need them.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote