Refrigerator Replacement Options - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2022, 06:54 PM   #1

Name: Bridget
Trailer: Scamp
Maryland
Refrigerator Replacement Options

My first RV was a 2001 Lance Truck Camper which I bought in 2015. I was a complete newbie and didn't know what I didn't know.

Now I have a 2018 Scamp '13 with bath.

I love my Scamp, but have been surprised by how the much older truck camper had far more features that made traveling easier.

Basic black and grey tank level readers, battery level reader and, what I miss the most, the refrigerator would automatically switch AC/DC depending on what was available. In addition, manual changing between AC/DC/Gas could be done from inside the camper.

Has anyone discovered a Scamp refrigerator replacement option that would permit controlling the power source from inside?
BridgetMills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 06:10 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
The problem is size. A quick search didn’t turn up any other absorption fridge options that fit the same space. The RM2193 in your Scamp is the smallest model Dometic sells, and it doesn't offer automatic controls. Norcold doesn’t appear to make any that small. Maybe I missed something.

It’s a mixed blessing. The convenience is nice, but automatic controls require continuous DC power, so no power (dead battery or other 12V power issue) means no refrigeration. Yours will work on propane without power. It also conserves battery power for other things when you’re off grid.

Another option is a DC compressor fridge. Can’t get any more convenient than that, but you’ll probably need to increase your battery capacity to run one off grid.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 08:14 PM   #3

Name: John
Trailer: Scamp 1995 19'
North Carolina
Love my DC compressor fridge

I bought one for my 18 wheeler. I bought the 50 Qt AcoPower Lion cooler, which is basically the model with a LION 180wh battery to keep it running when there is no external power. For my purposes, 50 qt is too big but it is difficult to really judge without seeing one. 50 Qt is huge.

OTOH I still love it and it allows me to carry weeks worth of my Ketovore food so I don't have to eat truck stop food.

For an RV it definitely gets in the way. I have a 19' Scamp and I just shoved it in the door and left it there. Waaaay big and waaaay in the way. I can set it up on the front 'couch' to get it out of the way but it is just big! But again, it allows me to carry so much stuff and keep it cool.

DC compressor fridges work extremely well, and extremely efficiently. I haven't personally tested it but it appears to use 40w on eco, which is all you really need once the food is cooled down. And event then it only runs perhaps 20% of the time. So 8-10 watts average, again depending on how cold you want to keep your stuff.

I run mine at about 34 degrees, which will keep it very cold on the bottom and chilly on the top. I am buying a little dc fan to rig in it to circulate the air for more even cold distribution.

Tags
refrigerator, scamp