Removable Backsplash Idea - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2020, 10:12 AM   #1

Name: Steph
Trailer: Scamp
Texas
Registry
Removable Backsplash Idea

I recently had the exterior of my Scamp restored. Everything was taken off / out and then put back on / in after the fiberglass work and painting was completed. My pretty much flawless ensolite is now not so great looking due to removing and re-riveting everything. There's a couple of tears and a lot of little holes.

Anyway, I'm toying with the idea of adding a backsplash in the kitchen area (might as well now). I don't want to put any holes through the shell to secure it and I'm not going to glue anything to the Ensolite. My seam tape was orange so I removed that with the plan to caulk...and then maybe put new seam tape in--I don't know yet but I won't be painting the interior.

HERE IS MY BIG IDEA: I want to get some really strong magnets and work them in under the Ensolite, glue them to the fiberglass and sandwich them in between the fiberglass and the Ensolite. Then I'll glue the Ensolite back down. I'll mount some of those stick-on tiles to a 30 mil sheet of polystyrene, put magnets on the back of that and then BAM I have a removable backsplash. I can probably tuck the edges in behind the kitchen cabinetry to get more support there.

Thoughts? Concerns? Points for ingenuity?
StephLeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 05:07 PM   #2

Name: Erik
Oregon
backsplash

Here's a thought. Obtain some small, thin ferrous metal squares. Paint them the same color as the interior over which the backsplash will be situated. Then glue them on the corners of the wall where you want the backsplash to go. Finally, glue magnets in corresponding locations on the backsplash itself.
eaufderheide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 05:39 PM   #3

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
I think the magnets are a great idea!
This guy uses rare earth magnets to hold the interior trim on this custom car.
Go to about 4:30 of this video.

Fred
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 10:13 AM   #4

Name: Gordon
Idaho
Registry
Magnets are cool, but I'd use selfadhessive hook and loop fasteners. Very little work for the same result.
Gordon
Gordon in Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 08:12 AM   #5

Texas
Registry
Thanks for the feedback guys! Great suggestions and Fred, my Dad has sent me that video link before--I should have paid better attention!

I'll keep you posted on how it goes.
Old 02-19-2020, 02:25 PM   #6

Name: Michael
Trailer: Former Scamp 13, Former Airstream 16
Connecticut
When my 1999 Scamp 13' Deluxe was new, I cut a piece of clear plexiglass to size to protect the wall behind the cooktop. Trailer is gone now, but I think I used two small rubber bumpers on the cabinet to hold the top of the plexiglass in place and kept it from tipping onto the cooktop. Worked like a charm fore our 15 years of ownership.
pedalmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 03:56 PM   #7

Texas
Registry
Nice! ...especially the 15 years of use!
Old 02-19-2020, 05:46 PM   #8

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephLeach View Post
I recently had the exterior of my Scamp restored. Everything was taken off / out and then put back on / in after the fiberglass work and painting was completed. My pretty much flawless ensolite is now not so great looking due to removing and re-riveting everything. There's a couple of tears and a lot of little holes.

Anyway, I'm toying with the idea of adding a backsplash in the kitchen area (might as well now). I don't want to put any holes through the shell to secure it and I'm not going to glue anything to the Ensolite. My seam tape was orange so I removed that with the plan to caulk...and then maybe put new seam tape in--I don't know yet but I won't be painting the interior.

HERE IS MY BIG IDEA: I want to get some really strong magnets and work them in under the Ensolite, glue them to the fiberglass and sandwich them in between the fiberglass and the Ensolite. Then I'll glue the Ensolite back down. I'll mount some of those stick-on tiles to a 30 mil sheet of polystyrene, put magnets on the back of that and then BAM I have a removable backsplash. I can probably tuck the edges in behind the kitchen cabinetry to get more support there.

Thoughts? Concerns? Points for ingenuity?
Then you will also want to use some type of removable caulking to seal the joint between the countertop and the backsplash. You don't want dirt or water to get behind the backsplash. They make some vinyl pieces that have adhesive on them that are used in place of caulk between the bathtube and the wall above the tub or in kitchens. That might be the easiest way to go.
Keywords....peel and stick caulk

Link for an example of peel and stick caulk
https://www.amazon.com/Adhesive-Bath.../dp/B07883NHTC
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 12:11 PM   #9

Texas
Registry
Great suggestion. I've actually bought that stuff before and in beige no less. Thanks!
Old 03-07-2020, 02:10 PM   #10

Name: Nancy
Trailer: boler
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon in Idaho View Post
Magnets are cool, but I'd use selfadhessive hook and loop fasteners. Very little work for the same result.
Gordon

How do you get it to stick to the ensolite?
Nancy F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 07:47 AM   #11

Name: Carter
Trailer: Eco
Kansas
I thought my stick-on tiles on top of Plexiglas was an original idea. Guess not!

Putting the stick on tiles on a backer instead of directly on the ensolite is, IMO, the way to go. You can get them way straighter than you can in place, and you can run wires and such behind the whole thing.

Personally, i used strong double-stick. I don't think magnets will hold.

The self-adhesive caulk works nicely for trimming it out.