Remove and reinstall door on 94 Lil Bigfoot? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2021, 06:27 PM   #1

Name: Ben
Trailer: Lil Bigfoot
Washington
Remove and reinstall door on 94 Lil Bigfoot?

Hello all,

I recently purchased a 1994 13' Lil Bigfoot trailer. Everything looks great but the door looks like it is sagging at first glance. However, after closer inspection, it looks like the door frame was perhaps removed at one point in time and then when it was installed the left side was installed too high. Anyway, I'm looking for any help or pointers about how to remove the door. I looked all over the forums for pictures or discussion on how to remove the door but I couldn't find anything. I'm sorry if I missed it, please feel free to point me to a previous post.

Thank you,
Ben
Ben in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 11:32 AM   #2

Washington
Pictures of sagging door

I figured a couple pictures might help as well. Any thoughts on how to fix a sagging door? I felt the floor and it all feel really solid so I don't think that is the issue but I could be wrong. Any thoughts or ideas are welcome.

Thank you,
Ben
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6843.jpeg   IMG_6839.jpeg  

IMG_6840.jpeg   IMG_6841.jpeg  

Old 08-28-2021, 12:23 PM   #3

Trailer: 2008 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
It’s probably not much help, but I was told that our misaligned house door that looked like yours was just a hinge problem. The guy fiddled with the screws on the top and bottom hinges and straightened it back up.
Ruth C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 12:58 PM   #4

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Ben, looks like this has been a problem for sometime. The screw holes upper right corner frame looks like an L bracket was installed there at some point.
Looks like to me you may need to rebuild this door and or replace it.
The door is like 1-1/4” wood frame and foam, insulation in the middle. Looks like a lot of water damage around the window.
The hardest part of this type repair is not to damage this aluminum frame taking it apart.
It’s not a difficult job if you have some wood working skills and patience. The pattern is there, just need to take apart and replace. Use treated lumber, will need to rip to size.

Question was it like that when you bought it? You didn’t by chance level your trailer using your stabilizer jacks? Which will tweak the frame and cause the door to sag.
Attached Thumbnails
FDEB2791-9FA8-41F3-969B-DCBC9471F013.jpg  
Attached Images

mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 05:17 PM   #5

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
Ben
My 93 B13.5' lil Bigfoot entrance door was like yours. is there a shim on the threshold on the strike side? To raise the door and screen as they close (put there at the factory because they hung the door jamb out of square .)
I have a groove, gouged in the threshold where the screen frame on the strike side hit before it was lifted by the shim.
Do you have a framing square ? If held in the top corner left or right you can see how far the jamb is out of square. Hold the square on the top of the door, to see if it is out of square. You can measure a rectangle to see if it is square corner to corner to see if the distances are the same
I have several framing squares because I am a cabinet and house door maker, I have made many raised panel oak doors.
To remove the door jamb, requires removing the cabinet next to the entrance, to get to the screws that hold the jamb to the shell. You can see the screws on the left side as you face the opening from inside the trailer. To remove the door just requires, unscrewing the 4 hinge butts on the right side of the door. the hinge stays attached to the jamb.
I took my door apart, the wood structure in the bottom of the door, was rotten, up more than a foot. You can't easily tell if your door is rotten, without taking it apart.
If I say ALL Bigfoot doors wooden parts, the age of our trailers are rotten, is probably 90+ % true.
I did not try to square the door jamb. I would want to totally remove it to see how it is set. I assumed the threshold was set flush on the floor; to bring your door to square with the jamb, the jamb header and the jamb legs at the top need to be moved toward the hinge side, the threshold would stay fixed. Some of the wooden blocking glued to the fiberglass shell on the hinge side may need to be cut away at the top say 1/2" tapered down to nothing at the bottom.
The door has to be hinged to the jamb to watch how the door adjusts parallel to the header as it is moved left to right (facing the door from outside.) I think Bigfoot put the jambs in the trailer without the door in place, some installers set the jambs square; I think yours and mine were set by a beginner.
I took my door off the trailer. I put it on a couple of saw horses.
I removed the window; I removed the screws in the corners holding the stile sides to the top and bottom rails.
unscrewed the door lock and removed it.
The exterior and interior faces were once glued to a foam core, surrounded by a wood frame. the pieces just lift apart, glue not holding. The stiles were rotten up 16"s the bottom rail was wet mush.
Re-cutting the aluminum door frame miters; on the strike side cut off 1/8" from short point to nothing and on the hinge side on the long point at the top. the miters at the bottom of the door, strike side on the long point, hinge side the short point.
I recut the mitered corners of the aluminum door frame to match an out of square template I made of the out of square jamb. The new wooden frame inside the aluminum frame is also cut out of square. I drilled 1/4" holes in the bottom aluminum rail to let accumulated water out.
The aluminum can be cut with a carbide tipped miter saw blade.
Do you have a screen door ? If it fits like the door, same tech.
I recut the miters on the screen door, put in new screen. Had to move the screen up on its hinges.
The corners on the aluminum jamb are called "Faux corners" (plastic corners) I know a source for those if you want.
My door works very well.
at the top bar -search- type in Bigfoot; hundreds of posts will come up.
You probably need a new axle. I just replaced mine.
You can contact me direct if you wish.

Later Kenny
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 01:18 PM   #6

Utah
Ben
Can you take a picture of of your threshold on the strike side ? Pointing down, also one up under the left corner.
Threshold looks bent down to allow the door to close. Maybe fiberglass repair.
How is the lock working ? Can you take picture of strike plate ?
I have done a ton of work on my "lil"one. send message direct if you want, love to answer questions. 801-663-6040 cell.

Later Kenny
Old 09-02-2021, 02:56 PM   #7

Washington
Thanks Kenny

Kenny,

I just saw your messages. I'm at work but will follow your instructions when I get home. I took some pictures with my contractors square this morning before leaving the house thinking to post them and get advice. Here they are just to confirm that the frame is out of square but the door is in perfect square/shape.

Thanks,
Ben
Attached Thumbnails
FrameNotSquare1.jpeg   FrameNotSquare2.jpg  

DoorIsSquare.jpg  
Old 09-02-2021, 03:15 PM   #8

Just wondering, how is the trailer leveled. Did you say it was that way when you bought it.
Old 09-04-2021, 12:46 PM   #9

Utah
Ben mine was just like that. Take a picture of the threshold as I posted earlier.
Old 09-05-2021, 11:10 AM   #10

Washington
Kenny - I'll take pictures of the strike plate and threshold later today or tomorrow (stupid job is getting in the way of my fun and repairs...lol).

mszabo - Trailer is leveled with with bubble level. 1) lowered the tongue until the bubble level front to back was level. 2) Didn't really have to level side to side as it is parked in my driveway. I did lower the stabilizer jacks. To be clear, the door didn't change at any one of the steps. Unhooked from trailer and nose is way up in the air (door was exactly as shown in pictures)...lowered tongue to level (door remained unchanged)...lowered stabilizer jacks (door remained unchanged). Also, there is a curved bubble level attached to the side of the trailer right by the door. I leveled with this but then used my own levels on the trailer floor and the tongue to verify.

Thank you both for your thoughts and suggestions.
Old 09-09-2021, 10:07 AM   #11

Name: Craig
Trailer: Bigfoot 25ft & 13ft Lil Bigfoot
British Columbia
Bin there done that

Ben. We rebuilt the door my daughter's 93 Lil Big last spring. Your pictures were identical to what ours looked like before we started. Kenny's description is spot on, our door framing was rotten about the same amount. Wish we had trimmed the aluminum frame like Kenny described when we had it apart. I placed the original door on saw horses took the exterior aluminum frame and one layer of skin off. I set up a second work table beside the existing door and replicated the wood frame before taking it fully apart. I had some KD fir around and used that for my frame, might not last as long as pretreated but definitely better than the original untreated pine. I'll be ok if we get another 28 years before the next rebuild . Make sure you check the plumb on the latch side when your doing your final assembly, ours moved a bit resulting in a slight bulge on the latch side. Had to take the aluminum frame off and plane it down to get it straight.
Craig
Bigfoot 0995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 10:47 PM   #12

Washington
Kenny,

I finally got some time to start tackling this project. Here are some pictures of the threshold. One with the frame still in and one with the frame removed.

Ben
Attached Thumbnails
Looking Down on Threshold With Frame.jpg   Looking Down on Threshold Frame Removed.jpeg  

Old 09-26-2021, 11:18 PM   #13

Washington
Door and Frame Off

Hello All,

A - My Framer truly did a poor job, or...
B - The whole right side if the door frame is sagging.

My floor seems really solid by the door. If the floor was truly sagging, I would think I would have a gap somewhere in the front cabinetry top or bottom and they all look great.

Thoughts anybody? Poor Framer at the factory or front corner of RV is sagging?

Here are a bunch of pictures of the opening as I took the door and frame out of the trailer.

I think I'm going to shave the wood and fiberglass in the upper right hand corner of the rough frame. I am attempting to make the top plate of the rough frame a little closer to level. This should allow me to remount the door frame with right side of the frame higher than it was and putting the frame closer to square. I will be putting shims under the right bottom corner of the frame to fully support the threshold (thicker to the far right and thinning out as you move to the left). I hope to create a threshold and top plate that are fairly close to square to the left and right jambs.

Thoughts?
Thanks,
Ben in WA
Attached Thumbnails
Frame Left Side 62.25.jpeg   Frame Right 62.25.jpeg  

Frame Out of Square 1.jpeg   Frame Out of Square 2.jpeg  

Frame Out of Square 3.jpeg   Frame Out of Square 4.jpeg  

Rough Left Side 62.625.jpeg   Rough Right Side 62.5.jpeg  

Right side sagging 1.jpeg   Right Side Sagging 2.jpeg  

Right Side Sagging Half Inch 1.jpeg   Right Side Sagging Half Inch 2.jpeg  

Old 09-26-2021, 11:25 PM   #14

Washington
Do I need these screws?

Once I had removed the door frame from the RV I uncovered all these screws that are holding the edge of the fiberglass to the wood framing around the door. I'm assuming the new Butyl Tape will seal around these just fine. But, are these original? Do I really need them? When I reset the aluminum frame and screw it to the wood "rough" frame, won't that hold the fiberglass in place as it is sandwiched between the two?
Attached Thumbnails
Screws holding fiberglass to door frame 1.jpeg   Screws holding fiberglass to door frame 2.jpeg  

Screws holding fiberglass to door frame 3.jpeg  
Old 09-26-2021, 11:27 PM   #15

Washington
Kenny,

Why do you think I need a new axle? Could that be affecting the door sag or is it just time?

Thanks,
Ben
Old 09-27-2021, 05:52 AM   #16

Wondering if they may have installed additional screws at lock area. Reinforcing the jam so a pry bar wouldn’t collapse the jam as easily.
Just a thought.
Old 09-27-2021, 10:52 AM   #17

Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben in WA View Post
Kenny,

Why do you think I need a new axle? Could that be affecting the door sag or is it just time?

Thanks,
Ben
Dexter axles have about a 10 year life span, depending on use. Mine was hitting the top of the wheel well. I have dimensions and what one needs to do if you need a replacement.
I did not realize the frame and door could be removed totally from the outside. I thought it needed to be unscrewed from the inside.
I really enjoy your success.
What does the wood look like where all the screws are ? Is it solid ?
This site says I received a Message from you; that I can not read. Says it could be because of my ad blocker.

Later Kenny

Tags
bigfoot