Remove front propane tank - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2007, 08:06 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Send a message via AIM to Ken&Chris
I am rebuilding a 1972 Trail Mite and want to remove the big propane tank on the front. The only thing the propane tank runs is two burners. I want the option of being able to heat some coffee on it but we will never use it for much more. We have been camping in our 79 Fiber Stream for 3+ years now and have never used the burners so I think I am safe in saying we won't use these. This is what I would like to do. I want to put a box on the front hitch area of the trailer and have the propane tube run into the box. When, if ever, I want to use the burners I would like to be able to just screw one of those small throw away propane tanks you can buy anywhere into it in the front box. The same principle as a small portable barbeque. Any ideas as to how I can do this, Thanks Ken
Ken&Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 08:19 AM   #2

Trailer: Boler 1984
Ken
You might consider one of the smaller propane tanks. They make them in 5 lb and 10 lb sizes. their smaller and won't take up too much space and are a good source of emergency juice, to tide you over, when the home BBQ quits just as company arrives.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 08:22 AM   #3

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: The problem with the "thro away" tanks is they are "HAZ...MAT" and the Parks have to pay dearly to dispose of them...almost more than they cost to buy!!! You can buy a smaller size refillable tank than a 20lb er...Think of the poor fellow running the crusher when he encounters a 1/2 filled tank too late Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 08:50 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I too have waffled about yanking all the propane out of my trailer Ken. Only because, like you, I don't use it. I'm always hooked up when camping. I've never used the propane furnace, refer on propane and the stove maybe 3 times. Then I started paying attention to circumstances members have had during horrible winter weather this past year...in particular. More than one, moved into their trailer when they lost power for days on end in their stick built homes....and were able to "live" comfortably. Since the world's weather seems to be getting weirder every year, I'm going to do what James suggested....go to a much smaller tank. That way, if I AM out camping and the campground loses power...I can still have my coffee...and if my home loses power in the winter, I can stay warm in the trailer. I can then always hook up one of the five 20 lb tanks I have hanging around for my barbecue

Whatever decision you make, will be the best one for you.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 10:29 AM   #5

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Check the ordnances B4 you do it.

If U put the tank in a box - U may create a possible explosive hazard if the bottom of the box is sealed tight.

Propane is heaver than air and will flow down to the bottom of the box and if the bottom is open under the tank, the gas will flow out.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 11:40 AM   #6

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
I may consider going to a smaller tanks too.. I only have the stove to use.. with no furance the ones I got are really to big. I can turn mine in at the RV place and the propane company will depose of them. I also use full hookup, so really doubt if I need these big tanks....
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 12:36 PM   #7

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Ken, how is that little guy coming along?

I am sure you have made it much more happy in your care than it was at the musicians house! Poor little thing, looked all ignored and neglected..
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 01:29 PM   #8

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Ken
You might consider one of the smaller propane tanks.
I would recommend this option too... But I realize that the cost of these tanks is quite high. The Lite House trailers came with smaller bottles...
Old 02-18-2007, 01:43 PM   #9

Quote:
I would recommend this option too... But I realize that the cost of these tanks is quite high. The Lite House trailers came with smaller bottles...
Propotionately they are high. 1/4 of the volume of a 20#, but twice the cost. I can get a 5# here in Portland for around $35. But, how often are you going to BUY one? As far as I'm concerned, that's a one time deal. Now the disposables
Old 02-18-2007, 02:04 PM   #10

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
I use a smaller propane tank on my Compact Jr. I needed more room on the tongue so I could mount the spare tire. I bought my 5 lb. tank at Camping World for $50 then found that Northern Tool sells a 4 lb. for $36. It has worked great and will go several seasons before needing a refill.

Tom Trostel

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/ViewPhoto?...&p=73194432
Old 02-18-2007, 05:45 PM   #11

Trailer: Trillium 4500
I converted the two 20 lb tanks on the front to a single 10 lb and set the battery box beside it. Be prepared to pay more for the smaller tank than a 20 lb. I you plan on enclosing the tank in a box be sure to provide plenty of ventilation, both top and bottom. I'd keep any electricals away. My biggest problem was figuring out a method of tying down the tank to the frame.

If you want to use a disposable bottle Northern Tool carries an adapter that might simplify the connection. I carry one for emergencies. ber sure to get the one that allows connection from a disposable tank to the POL hose or Quick Connect, not the refill adapter.

I also have a 5 lb tank and and a propane camping stove for cooking outdoors.

Here's the link to
Nothern Tool
Attached Images

Dan M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 08:59 PM   #12

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Send a message via AIM to Ken&Chris
Thank you Dan M. It is ordered and will be shipped out on Tuesday. Ken
Ken&Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 09:27 PM   #13

Trailer: Love Bug / Chevy Astro

Christi, try finding a free ad paper (or local internet ad site) to run an ad and sell your existing tanks to help pay for your conversion.
Bob Cupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 07:17 AM   #14

Trailer: U-Haul
you could always do what i did and solve two problems in one.
yep after purging i cut in half and made the bbq pit out of it and got a microwave for my coffie and popcorn.

Click image for larger version

Name:	terry.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	12554
Terry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 04:38 PM   #15

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
I replaced my 20# tank with a 10# from Home Depot and use a Steak Saver to connect a 1# cannister as a backup (BTW, Steak Savers have changed slightly to accomodate the newer connection thread arrangements on the newer tanks).

I use my LP for range top and 6KBtu LP heater; folks with a refrigerator and/or RV heater would likely need more.

BTW, the 10# tank comes in two configurations, with one being thinner but the same height as a 20# and the other being shorter but the same width as a 20# -- The tall one fits the 20# brackets on my Scamp quite well but might be more likely to come loose in a violent crash than the shorter one.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 08:46 AM   #16

I never liked the idea of tossing those little green tanks in the recycle either so I went to Coscto and bought a case of them then went to Harbor freight and bought a propane bottle refiller http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...temnumber=45989. It fills them up maybe 75% to 80% of new and there is no trash for the landfill. I refill them when I have my main tank of for refilling and use them as needed.

Steve
Steve Rosenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 01:10 PM   #17

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
I use the small RV-style cylinders only as an emergency backup reserve, because I do not like either the cost or the waste. I do use the taller and thinner ones for a propane torch; each one lasts me for years.

I have read numerous references to [b]refilling the single-use propane cylinders, and each time I have to ask: if it is safe to refill these, why will the business which refills the bulk tanks not refill these? Why are they invariably described as "single-use" or "disposable"? Why can they not be legally transported in at least some circumstances?

From The Heater Shop, about their adapter:
Quote:
The 1 lb bottle will not survive infinite refills, but whichever make of 1 lb bottle you get, you will get it refilled often enough to pay for this adapter during your first 20 lb cylinder.
How do we know when the bottle no longer "survives"?
Checking for leaks with soapy water to see if the valve is obviously failed seems insufficient to me.

Both the Harbor Freight Propane Bottle Refill Kit Product Manual and the instructions on the Heater Shop site suggest filling for one minute; it appears to me that there is no way to know if the cylinder is dangerously overfilled. This sounds irresponsible to me - perhaps I have missed something.
How do you know when the bottle has been filled to no more than 80% of its liquid capacity?

I don't pretend to have the answers, but I hope anyone who refills them does.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 02:36 PM   #18

Several years back I purchased a small cylinder propane lantern. The store where I bought it made the strong suggestion to NOT disconnect the cylinder until it was empty. The problem was leakage. Now either the valves have gotten better...or.... Either way, I've used the lantern and as per their suggestion have not disconnected the cylinder until empty. At any rate, I certainly wouldn't store a disconnected or refilled cylinder in any sleeping area or even INSIDE a tug.

My 2 1/2 cents.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:02 PM   #19

Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
The valves haven't changed over the years as far as I can see -- They are most likely to leak when they are disconnected, because that's when the valve sticks open either because of malfunction or debris in the seal.

I sometimes get leaking cannisters from folks packing up after the weekend and I just disconnect my 10# tank and put the cannister on-line with the Steak Saver -- They quit leaking when reconnected.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 08:44 PM   #20

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983 and 1972 Compact Jr (project)
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

Quote:
Both the Harbor Freight Propane Bottle Refill Kit Product Manual and the instructions on the Heater Shop site suggest filling for one minute; it appears to me that there is no way to know if the cylinder is dangerously overfilled. This sounds irresponsible to me - perhaps I have missed something.
How do you know when the bottle has been filled to no more than 80% of its liquid capacity?

I don't pretend to have the answers, but I hope anyone who refills them does.
I refill the short squatty ones for lantern use... As for overfilling them, since one is pulling off of a 5 gallon tank that is only filled to 80%, overfilling the little bottle is not possible. (it's not like using a pump like used at service stations, etc. Now then it would be possible to overload the little bottles) I have weighed the refillable cylinders before and after refilling using the adaptor and have found that on a cool day only get about 75-80% fill (12 to 14 oz). Now on a warm Summer day, 85+ degrees, I get close to 16 oz. Of course, I only use clean empty cylinders, and discard the ones that show any distress. I check them after refilling for leakage. By doing this, I have never had one leak off on me. I think that one is safe in doing this as long as [b]all suspect cylinders are discarded. JMHO Larry
Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote