Remove old vinyl before installing Allure flooring in 2014 Scamp? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Modifications, Alterations and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-27-2019, 09:20 PM   #1

Name: Ruth
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 13'
Wisconsin
Remove old vinyl before installing Allure flooring in 2014 Scamp?

I picked up two boxes of Allure flooring and was surprised how heavy it is--maybe 35lbs each. Although I had planned to install it over the original 2014 Scamp vinyl flooring. Now I wonder if I should take the original flooring out to save on weight?

Also, any tips about how to handle the curved flooring that bends up under the edge of the sink cabinet?

Thanks in advance!

Ruth
RuthWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 11:53 PM   #2

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
A better idea is to take that stuff back to the store and get something lighter in weight and thinner in thickness. It makes no sense to do all the hard labor of scraping up original flooring when you can instead make a new choice based on your currently learned new wisdom about purchasing criteria with weight being one of the "weighty factors" for making the right decision.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 07:00 AM   #3

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I have removed the old flooring and would recommend it to anyone, just as I have on many, many home renovations I have done. It is not that tough to do, and gives you a better end product without hiding the waste material. Heck, when I added a nice cork floor to my Escape 19 I removed the vinyl first, allowing me to make the level perfect and removing a bunch of unneeded weight.

I am not a huge fan of the Allure flooring that sticks the pieces together, especially if you have a huge temperature change outside, as the cracks will open on not fully close leaving very noticeable cracks between the pieces. I much prefer a single sheet cut to fit.

Just a thought from a professional renovator.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 10:37 AM   #4

Name: Doug
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16, 2011 RAV4 V6
California
I applied Allure flooring on top of the old vinyl in our 2014 Scamp 16. I’m very happy with the results. It was easy and quick. The new flooring conformed to the curve at the very back of the trailer under the table and I just laid it up to the curve under the driver side cabinets without tying to make it conform to the curve. The curve is not visible unless you lay the side of your head on the floor.
Doug in Sacramento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 10:40 AM   #5

Name: Doug
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16, 2011 RAV4 V6
California
The floor-vertical junction under the sink side cabinet is a 90 degree angle in our trailer. I butted the floor up to a vertical piece of Allure.
Doug in Sacramento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 03:45 PM   #6

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
+10 those vinyl plank floors come in a variety of thicknesses and the thicker it is, the more it weighs. Adding insult to injury, when you buy the thicker product, you get less coverage per box. I used a relatively thin product and one box was plenty to do my Trillium 1300. I went as far as not piecing in floor planks, so each plank goes the full length of the main floor (creating more waste). Still it was enough.
I would not be surprised if the thinner stuff weighs no more than your original tile floor.

Boxes all tended to cost the same. So the thick stuff have you less coverage for the $$.

I would take up the original flooring if you are concerned about weight.

Allure is just one brand of many. I bought a Shaw product at Lowe’s.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp, vin