Remove roof antenna? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2020, 10:43 AM   #1

Name: Deb
Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot B19
British Columbia
Remove roof antenna?

Hello again. My B19 has the crank and roof mount, but no antenna. I would not use it even if it was there.

Would it be worth removing it (as a potential leak source down the road) and patch, or just pretend it's still there, and regularly reseal the edges, since I have to go up there and do that to the other openings every year anyway. The seal is sound, and I have no leaks.

I suspect that it might be more trouble than it's worth to remove and patch. It wouldn't be high on the current list of things to do, either way, but just a thought when I was checking out the roof yesterday.

Other possibility - replacing the antenna. I haven't had a good look at the remaining mount. It may or may no be functional anyway. But does any one know where I might source a replacement, if everything was functional, and I decided to go that route?
Deb Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 09:43 AM   #2

Name: William
Trailer: 13' Perris Pacer
California
"If it ain't broken, don't fix it." And, "Don't fix it until it IS broken!"
mchalewj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 10:32 AM   #3

Name: Deb
Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot B19
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchalewj View Post
"If it ain't broken, don't fix it." And, "Don't fix it until it IS broken!"
Sort of where I was going with it!
I'll take a closer look at it when I go up to install the Mini-Mach... see if it looks functional, crank-wise, (anything bent or broken off). If it is functional, then I might look at getting a replacement antenna to mount to it. Or just leave it alone. I don't watch TV when I'm out. Maybe some Netflix if we have good wi-fi, or just some DVD's on the laptop/iPad to the auxiliary monitor.
Deb Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 08:44 PM   #4

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb Mac View Post
Hello again. My B19 has the crank and roof mount, but no antenna. I would not use it even if it was there.

Would it be worth removing it (as a potential leak source down the road) and patch, or just pretend it's still there, and regularly reseal the edges, since I have to go up there and do that to the other openings every year anyway. The seal is sound, and I have no leaks.

I suspect that it might be more trouble than it's worth to remove and patch. It wouldn't be high on the current list of things to do, either way, but just a thought when I was checking out the roof yesterday.

Other possibility - replacing the antenna. I haven't had a good look at the remaining mount. It may or may no be functional anyway. But does any one know where I might source a replacement, if everything was functional, and I decided to go that route?
I'd leave it as is. That way if a future owner wanted to put one on they could easily. Without the antenna the possibility of leaking is less since nothing whips around in the wind. We've not had any trouble on our RV with the antenna but you can tell it moves in the wind.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 06:41 AM   #5

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann Todd View Post
I'd leave it as is. That way if a future owner wanted to put one on they could easily. Without the antenna the possibility of leaking is less since nothing whips around in the wind. We've not had any trouble on our RV with the antenna but you can tell it moves in the wind.
Agreed. And sealing it every so often is way less expensive than patching it, especially if you have someone else do the patching.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote