Removing acorn nuts - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2020, 03:48 PM   #1

Name: Bob
Trailer: Uhaul
California
Removing acorn nuts

How do you remove the acorn nuts throughout the camper? I tried unthreading them but they just rotate about. Do they just pry off? Do i have to replace the rivet when I eventually remove the nut?

Sorry for a simple question.

I'm looking to remove one of the shelves above the side dinette and was surprised the nuts didn't just rotate off.
foofght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 04:41 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Removing acorn nuts

The acorn nut is only cosmetic. Even if you get it off, the cabinet will still be held tightly by a bulge in the rivet shaft. That bulge is also what holds the acorn nut in place.

Rivets are removed by drilling off the head from the outside. Be careful not to drill too wide or deep or you may enlarge the hole. You may need a second person on the inside to grip the end to keep it from spinning while you drill.

I’m assuming this is a Scamp or a Casita?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 05:59 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
I used to try to tighten the acorn nuts on my Casita until I figured out their only function was cosmetic. I think prying them off or possibly using alligator pliers would remove them.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 07:19 PM   #4

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by foofght View Post
I'm looking to remove one of the shelves above the side dinette and was surprised the nuts didn't just rotate off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Fish View Post
... I think prying them off or possibly using alligator pliers would remove them.
Yes you could probably pull them off. But if they are attached Scamp or Casita style (with a rivet) then there is no reason to do so unless you are removing the rivet. If you want to remove the rivets (to remove a shelf or cabinet), then (as Jon mentioned) drill off the head of the rivet and replace the rivet, or use a SS bolt with nylock washer to replace it, if it still needed. If the fastener is no longer required then just patch the hole.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 10:21 AM   #5

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
The acorn nut is tightened by the expanding end of the rivet as the rivet is installed. It is likely that removing the acorn nut by prying would remove the tension of the rivet, since the rivet may have expanded and snapped up to 1/4" before actually contacting the surface that the acorn nut was resting on, since it snapped when the rivet could no longer expand within the acorn nut.
I would prepare to replace any removed acorn nuts with either a new rivet, or do what I have done and replace any broken rivets with 1/4 x 20 stainless steel screws and nylock nuts. Pro Dec company sells snap cap washers specifically designed for the 1/4" stainless steel screws, and many other sizes also.
We have had a couple acorn nuts just fall off over time, which we replaced with the SS screws.
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 10:51 AM   #6

Name: Steven
Trailer: '79 Boler
on Ontario
Registry
Another member was asking the same question... Some answers here:

https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...zes-92682.html
steve67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 03:55 PM   #7

Name: Bob
Trailer: Uhaul
California
Thanks all.

I'm now wondering about rivets and stainless screw/bolts and washers, but will search around to see what the thoughts are.
foofght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 05:36 PM   #8

Name: Steven
Trailer: '79 Boler
on Ontario
Registry
These are the fasteners I used to replace all the pop rivet to acorn nuts. The machine screws are 10-32UNF x 1" (length allowing for shortening when needed. All pieces are stainless steel to deal with condensation.

The acorn nuts do not need to be too tight, so some Locktite could be useful.
Attached Thumbnails
Boler - 1 (13).jpg   Screen Shot 2020-06-30 at 7.27.36 PM.jpg  

Boler - 1 (15).jpg  
steve67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vin