removing frig - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2020, 08:29 AM   #1

Name: Rick
Trailer: Escape
Lawrence
removing frig

I have a 1999 Casita, Spirit Deluxe. Original floorplan was a Freedom (I think) that had the swivel chairs, converted to bench seats.

My Dometic #2453 frig is causing problems and may need replacing.

Here's my question . . . how do you get the unit out of the trailer? There isn't enough room to maneuver it between the counter corner and the bathroom corner. The rear window isn't large enough to take the frig through it either.

It appears the fiberglass enclosure that includes the upper cabinet is bolted in place but it seems nuts that you'd have to dismantle that to remove the thing. The door is also so narrow that it would need to be removed.

Is that really what has to happen though - unbolt the fiberglass that holds the frig and remove the door?
thunderworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 12:27 PM   #2

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
My recollection is that Little House Customs, a shop who worked extensively on Casitas, used to take them out through the rear window.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 12:37 PM   #3

Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderworks View Post
I have a 1999 Casita, Spirit Deluxe. Original floorplan was a Freedom (I think) that had the swivel chairs, converted to bench seats.

My Dometic #2453 frig is causing problems and may need replacing.
If the problem is simply poor cooling performance, even on 120VAC, it's a known issue. The factory left too much space between the back of the refrigerator and the fiberglass shell, so the air does not flow through the fins in the back to remove excess heat properly. Installing baffles, baffling off the top of the chimney, and adding fans to remove heat from the back of the fridge are all measures which can help.

Or, there may be other issues.

Old 09-12-2020, 03:27 PM   #4

Lawrence
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
If the problem is simply poor cooling performance, even on 120VAC, it's a known issue. The factory left too much space between the back of the refrigerator and the fiberglass shell, so the air does not flow through the fins in the back to remove excess heat properly. Installing baffles, baffling off the top of the chimney, and adding fans to remove heat from the back of the fridge are all measures which can help.

Or, there may be other issues.
It is other issues . . . On A/C, the unit freezes everything solid. The thermostat no longer turns off the heater. I just thoroughly cleaned the orifice and gas supply pathway and the unit is now working well on propane. Before the cleaning, it wasn't working on propane. I think it needs a new thermostat (no thermistor visible anywhere on the fins inside the unit), but it appears that there aren't parts available any longer for my 21 year old unit. We mostly camp hooked up to power, but I'll use propane if necessary before I rip apart the trailer to put a new unit in.

We're going to sell the Casita later this Fall anyway. I've ordered a new Escape 19 for delivery next Spring.
Old 09-12-2020, 03:55 PM   #5

Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
We're going to sell the Casita later this Fall anyway. I've ordered a new Escape 19 for delivery next Spring.
Ah, I expect you'll enjoy the 19.

Meanwhile, it sounds like you're on it with the fridge.

Old 09-12-2020, 03:59 PM   #6

Lawrence
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
Ah, I expect you'll enjoy the 19.

Meanwhile, it sounds like you're on it with the fridge.
I'm sure you're right about the Escape 19. We're looking forward to it.

But idle minds want to know. . . do you really have to unbolt the cabinet and remove the door to get the frig out and a new one in? Really seems like horrible design engineering if that's the case.

R.
Old 09-12-2020, 04:23 PM   #7

Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
But idle minds want to know. . . do you really have to unbolt the cabinet and remove the door to get the frig out and a new one in? Really seems like horrible design engineering if that's the case.

R.
Years ago I read a "famous" thread on one of the Casita forums concerning how Larry Gamble, the founder of Little House Customs, swapped out refrigerators in a Casita some 10+/- years ago. Following this, he set about learning why the older one didn't work. It was set up in the shop and monitored while they tried a number of different fixes.

I refer to this thread as "famous" as it is often referenced by others. I might be able to find a link to it somewhere in my notes here.

Hmm, reading this reply, it looks like I don't actually know the answer to your question. But I bet the Casita forums do!

Also, I try to make a practice of not commenting upon the apparent shortcomings of engineers other than moi.

Old 09-12-2020, 04:41 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Is a fridge wider than a frig?
And, if it won't fit through the door, is it a friggen fridge?

Tags
vin