I spent last night cutting the gas line, electrical
connections and removing the steel band around the entire unit.
The two connecting bolts underneath were so rusted I simply cut the 1 inch band with tin snips. After that, I pushed, pulled and rocked it all to no avail. Late in the evening I saw there is a small hex screw just inside the vent cover. This appears to be all that is holding it in.
The kicker was that the back side *area underneath cooktop) was riveted to some flashing that was in turn connected to the outer shell)....again, the tin snips.
As it was dark, a work day and already a two beer job, I called it quits.
More to follow tonight.
-I've been taking pics so I can post later.