Removing refrigerator in Boler - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2006, 11:41 AM   #1

Trailer: 75 Boler
I'm considering removing my refrigerator. I see there is a metal band over the top of the unit that straps it down. There ate two small bolts on the underside that would be easy to remove. The gas line has a T connector that splits the stove top from the 'frige that would need to be disconnected as well....easy enough.

Question is: Is that all there is holding it and removing ?

Thanks,

Dan
Dan Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 09:38 AM   #2

I spent last night cutting the gas line, electrical connections and removing the steel band around the entire unit.

The two connecting bolts underneath were so rusted I simply cut the 1 inch band with tin snips. After that, I pushed, pulled and rocked it all to no avail. Late in the evening I saw there is a small hex screw just inside the vent cover. This appears to be all that is holding it in.

The kicker was that the back side *area underneath cooktop) was riveted to some flashing that was in turn connected to the outer shell)....again, the tin snips.

As it was dark, a work day and already a two beer job, I called it quits.

More to follow tonight.

Dan

-I've been taking pics so I can post later.
Old 04-25-2006, 10:24 PM   #3

I've had it. Just spent three hours ripping out rivots that were attached to the upper part of frige....rocked and rocked and it doesn't budge. I pulled out stove top for access and now I'm sure I'll have to re-plumb that since I'm sure I kinked the hose. After that the drawer rail kept the frige from going forward....ripped that out....nothing !

There has to be something else in the lower fron holding it....anyone ?

....beyond pissed.
Old 04-26-2006, 06:43 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Anything underneath the floor that looks like it needs to be removed

Dan, in the Document Center in the Appliance section there are a BUNCH of manuals for refrigerators. I don't know if your brand/model is there, but you might look. Looking at the manual for my Dometic refrigerator there is a section on installation and removing.

Maybe you'll find some information that would be useful

One thing for sure...since it when in, you know it will come out. Doesn't make it any easier knowing that tho
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 09:46 AM   #5

Damn thing is out. Turns out, a box wrench, screwdriver and a hammer is what it takes. The box wrench was used to beat it into submission. I literally ripped it out piece by piece.

You wouldn't believe the amount of rusted crumbs there were in there from the metal pan that the unit sat on.

I now need to tin snip out all the remaining flashing to tiddy it up. I've now decided that rather than the battery, I'll store the porto-pot in that area..

photos to follow shortly.
Old 05-03-2006, 10:44 AM   #6

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
Why not put a nice cheap air conditioner in there?
That's what I did with my Burro. You already have the intake and exhaust vents from the fridge.
Just partition them off. I put sheet alumininum underneath and formed 2 inch walls and sloped it toward the large fridge vent to use the built in drain holes in the door.
So far I havn't needed any drainage.
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 04:32 PM   #7

I don't need an AC.
Hell, I'm having trouble justifying a powered fan in the ceiling vent. I just do not camp when and where it gets that hot. When I do, I certainly do not spend my time inside.

My trailer time is usually between the hours of 11:30 pm and 8:30 am.
Hiding the pooper and battery where the 'frige was makes the most sense for me.

Dan
Old 05-04-2006, 05:36 AM   #8

Trailer: Boler 1984
I went and checked my fridge yesterday. when I pulled out the cutlery drawer I found that they had actually fastened it into place with a couple of layers of fiberglass. . hope I never have to get it out.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler, refrigerator