removing scamp cabinet - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2012, 10:50 PM   #1

Name: Bill
Trailer: Scamp 16
Washington
removing scamp cabinet

I would like to remove one of the overhead cabinets (above the side dinette) on my Scamp 16, to give the kid in the upper bunk more headroom. The bunk beds are homemade, not the kind that come in front in other Scamp layouts (where there are no cabinets overhead). Has anybody removed one of these cabinets? What does it involve? I'm reluctant to start cutting into the fabric to see how it's attached unless I know I can remove it cleanly.
Thanks.
Bill
wjquigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:04 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Bill, is it riveted through the shell? If so, just drill the rivets out. That's the way Scamp affixes the cabinets...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:10 AM   #3

Name: Ryan
Trailer: 1979 Scamp 16- side bath
Virginia
As Donna said, it is riveted in unless a previous owner made some modifications.

If you do in fact remove the overhead cabinet from your Scamp I would be interested in buying it from you, depending on the year of your Scamp, as well as your location.
PM me about it if your interested in selling it.
Thx
Ryan P R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:42 AM   #4

Name: gary
Trailer: 16' 1998 Scamp
Minnesota
Registry
What a fortuitous note! I was thinking of building a new cabinet myself.
fusedlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:17 AM   #5

Name: Bill
Trailer: Scamp 16
Washington
Thanks for the tip, Donna. I checked and there were 8 rivet caps outside the shell around the cabinet, and when I removed them I found 1.5" stainless machine screws instead of rivets, so they were easier to remove. This is a Scamp deluxe and the cabinets are oak so I guess it's easier to screw than rivet them. Now my kids have lots more headroom but I'll keep the cabinet in case I sell the Scamp eventually.
Bill
wjquigs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp