Removing Water Heater from 2020 13' Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2022, 04:45 PM   #1

Name: Mark
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
Removing Water Heater from 2020 13' Scamp

When we ordered our 2020 13' Scamp we thought it'd be great to have a water heater. After several trips we realized that we do not use it but could use some extra storage space instead.

Is there any reason not to remove the water heater? I'd hold on to it and have it ready should I ever sell.

Are there any pre-existing threads that I missed or advice should I do this?

Thanks in advance for all the help!
MSFrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 01:20 PM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Its a personal choice.. IMHO the shower is the only reason to have a water heater plumbed in, and the trailer is really too small to use the shower except maybe once in a very great while... (YMMV!) I did remove mine but remember it leaves a big hole in the side of the camper! I paid maybe $500 to have the hole patched so it looks almost like it was never there. A cargo door is another (cheaper) option.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2022, 06:19 AM   #3

Minnesota
Yes, a cargo door that creates some outside storage would be awesome!

Any tips or tricks on the actual removal process?
Old 10-23-2022, 07:31 PM   #4

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSFrancis View Post
Any tips or tricks on the actual removal process?
All electric and gas disconnected. Cut pipes and gas line close to water heater. Drill out rivets on water heater frame and remove water heater. Examine water and gas pipe and find best place to cut back the pipes and cap them off. For PEX water pipe you can use a standard copper crimp ring (instead of the expansion fitting) along with an end cap. For the gas line you probably want a flair cap at the tee where the water heater line connects. Be sure you know if you need to use gas tape if its threaded, but not for flair connections. Leak test water line. Leak test gas line by bubble and pressure drop method.
For cargo door, rebuild the fiberglass to accept a standard (off the shelf) cargo door, or measure the existing opening and order a custom door. Or make the shell whole.. (I prefer the more expensive rebuild of the shell).
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 10:00 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Gordon, I’m with you on preserving shell integrity. The slight added convenience of storage accessible from the outside is not worth a large hole in the shell, covered with a plastic door that will deteriorate quickly with UV exposure, not to mention the potential for leaks. For security you’ll probably want a keyed latch, so now there’s one more key to keep track of and one more lock in the road spray zone to get gunky and refuse to budge when you’re trying to get at your camp set-up stuff during a late arrival after dark in the rain…

I put stuff we need quickly from the outside in a bin that rides right in front of the door. Last in, first out, and the bin slides under the trailer in camp.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 07:06 PM   #6

Minnesota
Thanks Gordon and Jon! I appreciate the advice and will take the seal-it-up route come spring.
Old 11-03-2022, 10:16 AM   #7

Name: Stephanie
Trailer: Looking
NH
While we were researching campers, we looked at the Oliver. Gorgeous but WAY outside our price (or size) range. One of the options that caught my attention was a tankless water heater. We have one in our home but never thought of one for the camper.
WeTravel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp, vin