Reno and Intro thread.....LOOOOOONG!!! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2011, 09:34 AM   #1

Name: Paul
Trailer: 13' Boler 1977
Ontario
Reno and Intro thread.....LOOOOOONG!!!

So my Wife and i Bought a 73 Boler, last fall (2009), and we have been creeping on here since then, but haven't really introduced ourselves....

My name is Paul, and my wife's is Jen, we live in Innisfil Ontario Canada, .......I work for the Mississauga fire deparment and Jen works for herself teaching Zumba, Bellyfit, and Yogfit, she teaches across Ontario from London to Oshawa, she currently has classes monday, tuesday and thursday nights in Innisfil (Regroovenation Fitness | Zumba®, Bellyfit® & Yogafit® shameless plug i know, but it had to be done!!!) we also own two half sibling, nova scotia duck tolling retrievers, ...and are active with dock diving, agility, flyball etc, we camp a lot cause i get a lot of time off all at once, we are also avid scuba divers.........we got a trailer cause we couldn't leave the dogs in a tent if we wanted to go out for dinner while camping, or while scuba diving.......I have looked through all the reno's done here and there are some great ideas and want to do some of them, .....

We got our Boler off a family man who's kids were using it as a party/drinking/hangout in his back woods, so it needs some work, it'll be easier for me to put in point form the concerns and things about it, as well as question i have which i will highlight....

- there was a toilet installed into front passenger side storage compartment, it was a hack job, they cut out a portion of the floor under the storage hatch, ran some plumbing and added a black water tank, which was rusty and falling apart, I have removed the toilet (as we don't mind getting up at night to go if we have too), and I now have a 20" X 20" hole in the floor, how should i go about fixing it? i was thinking of suspending some plywood in it, and fiber glassing top and bottom, it doesn't have to be pretty as it is just a storage hatch?? would this work?.....also looking into making a front dinette so we don't have to make the bed into a table everyday....any help on this would be good too?, .....

- the ensolite on the inside of it is in amazing shape, .....none of it is falling off, just needed a good cleaning and scrubbing which we have done already, might look into painting it as well, .......but i don't think it needs it just yet....

- the frame is also in great shape, aside from being rusty, nothing is broken or cracked, but i plan on taking it off the frame this spring to paint it and double check for cracks, i am sure the axel needs replacing as well, but that will be done at a later date.....

- the cushions need replacing, which i am at a cross road with, i WANT custom cushion fabric, but can't afford it HA HA, we had some foam generously donated to us from my parent, when there trailer was crushed by a tree, I am not against sewing my own, but we don't know how to sew, but i am not against learning, anyone local want to teach me??.........so i think we are going to make the scamp cushion work using our donated foam........

- the outside of the boler is okay, i plan on re painting it, not this year but eventually, there are a few leaks, ....which i hope to remedy by taking out the windows and cleaning and re sealing,what is used to re seal the windows? caulking? as well as the roof vent, and maybe removing the little window above the stove?? how would one go about doing this?,

- the Door,.......oh the DOOR....it was in BAD shape, sagging at the hinges, straightening out, .....so that was my project until the snow flew, .....took it apart ripped it in half made a frame for it, reenforced the hinges (on trailer and the door), and now it is re hung and forms to the curve of the trailer, i just need to re glass the inner skin and reinstall the window (which is a large full sized one, hence the reason it was straightening out, flat window in a curved door)........what i am not sure on is that the bottom of the door frame is pulling outward from the front bench, i think the screw that holds the bench on has pulled out of the wood/glass tab that held the frame??? how would i go about fixing this???

- since ownership i have rewired the lights, started on house hold power, added a new battery trickle charger, and replaced the table, repacked the bearings, and moved the battery to the tongue.....

I had some photo's to upload but can't find them.......will update while we work on it over the spring, .......it doesn't fit into the garage so i'll have to wait until some of the snow is gone, .........snow is currently up to the bottom of the windows.........

thanks for reading and helping out, .......any other things i should know or look for, common issues? while doing any of the above work???........

I also have an ice chest to give away (you pay for shipping) as we got an ice chest and a 110V fridge with the trailer, we're going to go with the fridge............let me know and i can ship it tomorrow, .....

thanks for reading this LOOOOOOOONNNNNNGGG post...HA HA
pbraunton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:48 AM   #2

Ontario
Dogs......

Bodhi 2.5 YO

Kenna 8 months old, ..... both have the same dad, .......

Kenna jumping, with jen holding the toy.......

got the pics figured out........YEAH ME
Old 01-07-2011, 04:03 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2004 Element
Registry
Cool looking dogs!
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 05:39 PM   #4

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
wow, that door thing is common with the boler.I saw a you tube video where a guy in Canada was restoring one and it had that problem. see if you can find his rebuild series on you tube.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:49 PM   #5

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Welcome and great looking dogs.
If you search the site you will find lots of info on taking the windows out and refitting as well as the roof vents. They are pretty easy to do. If you want a no leak install you need to use Butal tape - no caulking. The butal tape will seal better and last much longer than the caulking.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:34 PM   #6

Ontario
thanks for the comments on the dogs, ....they are my kids, ........

and i knew it was not caulking for re sealing the windows, but the name butal tape, slipped my mind, .......going to post some pics of the door as i found them on my iPhone............
Old 01-07-2011, 09:47 PM   #7

Ontario
found the pictures......

here are some pics when we first got it home, ...sorry for the quality, they are from my iphone....

Notice how the door in the one it pulled out at the top and bottom, .....

Old 01-07-2011, 09:50 PM   #8

Ontario
taking apart the door....

as it sat when i took it off the hinges and removed the window....

the water damage around the door handle, ......which broke when i took it off, ....

used a saws-all to cut it around the edge.......

Old 01-07-2011, 09:54 PM   #9

Ontario

It was actually difficult to separate the two halves, as it is glued together, .....took some prying and wooden wedges but it came apart....

Wedges being hammered into the door.....

This is the inside wood, which was soaking wet, i tried to remove most of it, but it is painstaking work and only got about 7/8 of it out........