Repair and Replacements Costs - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2018, 11:45 AM   #1

Name: Hec
Trailer: 1981 13' Scamp
North Carolina
Registry
Repair and Replacements Costs

Hi All,

As a noob in my Scamp/Casita search I've come across some trailers that need different kinds of work. I've searched the forums to try and figure out avg. costs, but wondered if I could ask for links or input on the following costs based on your experience.

I am pretty handy, just don't have tools or space right now and am more interested in paying someone to do the work rather than doing it myself. With that said, can you give estimates on the following types of repairs or replacements from a professional for a 13' trailer that has a furnace and 3 way fridge, but no AC? Besides going back to the Scamp factory for these repairs, what other place is qualified to do these repairs?

1.Repair trailer floor rot
2.Replace propane system lines
3.Replace entire electrical system
a. Standard
b. To include components for use with solar panel
4. Replace Axle (with and without brakes)
5. Add brakes to existing axle
6. Repair exterior fiberglass cracks
7. Add a window
8. Repair rust damage to the tongue and trailer
9. Replace elephant skin with rat fur
10. Mount a solar panel on the roof (leakproof)
11. Installing battery from scratch (wiring and all)
12. Painting or Coating the exterior

Thanks for your help.
Hec
hecdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 12:01 PM   #2

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
What your asking for is the cost of a complete restoration.
Look for a unit that has had all the work done on it sometimes sticker shock has people stepping back when they read about an older unit asking 7-10 thousand that has been completely redone but they are the best deals.

Parts are easy to cost out the biggest cost is labor I don't know what shops charge in your area but in mine around 100.00 per hour.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 01:20 PM   #3

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
No shop in my area will do that list of work. One reason is no one would be willing to pay for it.

Really, a "project" trailer is best suited for someone with the time/skills/tools/covered space or better garage to do the work. Otherwise, you will be way upside down on it by the time you are done.

If I had to guess, paying a shop for your list could be in excess of $10K.

And my impression anyway is that people who buy a project are not doing to save money, they just like working on them.

I recently looked at buying a project trailer. I had no illusions of saving money, I just like projects, and I am retired. I restored the home we live in right now, and when I finished, my wife encouraged me to buy one down the street (you need a project). No profit in either of them, as real estate around here is not that hot.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 01:48 PM   #4

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Agree that if you are thinking of buying a Scamp/Casita that needs a lot of work, and hiring it out.. you are probably better off buying one in good shape or a new one.

But here's a few numbers for you:
Evelands (Scamp) labor rate is $70 / hour. Furnace install is 1/5 - 3 hours. Furnace is $385 plus whatever added pipe, etc is needed.
Eveland's est to remove the water heater and restore the fiberglass shell where the big square hole is: $500.

And I would guess that Evelands is on the low end of the labor rate for a few reasons.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote