Replacement converter/charger - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2011, 09:18 PM   #1

Trailer: Lite House
Registry
Replacement converter/charger

I am wondering if anyone has experience replacing an old MagneTek converter with a Parallax converter/charger? Parallax has a model that is the same form factor as the MagneTek. We want to do the replacement because of the loud hum from the MagneTek. Here is a link to the spec sheet for the Parallax unit: http://www.parallaxpower.com/6700/PP...20brochure.pdf

Thanks, Davie
Davie B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 09:24 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
The only thing I know about electricity, is you plug it in... if the cord doesn't fit .... turn it over. I did a simple search for Magnatek/Paralax and came up with this: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ems-35401.html Don't know if it will help... if not, turn the cord over
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 10:04 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
If or maybe I should say when my converter dies or maybe before that time this is what I'll replace it with.
Amazon.com: Battery Tender 021-0123 Battery Tender Junior 12V Battery Charger: Automotive

I'd keep the fuse and circuit breaker panels as they are and take out the current electronics.

The reason is this type of device is a much better battery charger than the converters are. I ruined one battery by under charging for about 3 months. Now I use one this type of device along with the converter. I suppose I could go trip the breaker to the converter.
Old 06-21-2011, 02:41 PM   #4

Trailer: 1991 17 ft Horizon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
If or maybe I should say when my converter dies or maybe before that time this is what I'll replace it with.
Amazon.com: Battery Tender 021-0123 Battery Tender Junior 12V Battery Charger: Automotive

I'd keep the fuse and circuit breaker panels as they are and take out the current electronics.

The reason is this type of device is a much better battery charger than the converters are. I ruined one battery by under charging for about 3 months. Now I use one this type of device along with the converter. I suppose I could go trip the breaker to the converter.

I couldn't agree with Byron more, as I've done the same thing. I also did this battery charger thing on an older Scamp that I had before, and it worked just fine. IMO there is no need to have a converter, especially if you have converted over your light bulbs to LED's which save you a ton of battery power. And on my newly aquired 96 Scamp I'll be putting in a smart charger instead of a converter.
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 02:58 PM   #5

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
If you do decide to replace your converter, how hard is it? I assume you have to disconnect the old and rewire the new?
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 04:28 PM   #6

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
If you do decide to replace your converter, how hard is it? I assume you have to disconnect the old and rewire the new?
In my case the most difficult thing is standing on my head while doing the rewiring. The converter is under the street side dinette bench.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:17 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Byron,
I just put a cushion on the floor and lay down.
It is eaiser than standing on my head.

Bill K

Quote:
In my case the most difficult thing is standing on my head while doing the rewiring. The converter is under the street side dinette bench.
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 09:06 PM   #8

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
Byron,
I just put a cushion on the floor and lay down.
It is eaiser than standing on my head.

Bill K
That would work if I removed the bench.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:15 AM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Yours must be completely different from mine.

Bill K

Quote:
That would work if I removed the bench.
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 11:23 AM   #10

Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davie B View Post
I am wondering if anyone has experience replacing an old MagneTek converter with a Parallax converter/charger? Parallax has a model that is the same form factor as the MagneTek. We want to do the replacement because of the loud hum from the MagneTek. Here is a link to the spec sheet for the Parallax unit: http://www.parallaxpower.com/6700/PP...20brochure.pdf

Thanks, Davie
As far as I know the Paralax is suppose to be a more or less "Plug & Play" Replacement for the old MagneTek converters. The instructions for installation that were in the box for the one I was looking at were pretty easy to follow. In my case my trailer had no existing converter, so I went with a new WFCO 25A complete center and mounted it on the side of the sink cabinet. I was skeptical on the quality considering the unit runs for <$100 but 2 years in and its performing fantastically!
Attached Thumbnails
PIC-0351.jpg   PIC-0350.jpg  

David Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:53 AM   #11

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Morgan View Post
As far as I know the Paralax is suppose to be a more or less "Plug & Play" Replacement for the old MagneTek converters. The instructions for installation that were in the box for the one I was looking at were pretty easy to follow. In my case my trailer had no existing converter, so I went with a new WFCO 25A complete center and mounted it on the side of the sink cabinet. I was skeptical on the quality considering the unit runs for <$100 but 2 years in and its performing fantastically!
How is the noise level of the new converter? The main reason I'm replacing the converter is because the old one has a loud transformer hum. It dosen't bother me much but the wife likes to sleep with the sound of nature.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:10 AM   #12

The WFCO is solid state so it is quiet. There is however a fan that varies in speed depending on the load. As long as im not running much over 1-2 amps its totally quiet. If my battery is drained it runs hard till it's toped off then the fan shuts off. It is a 3 stage charger so it is really gentle on the battery. I think I remember a fan in the parallax unit as well. But I can't say how loud it would be or when it runs. The WFCO fan is pretty quiet, if your converter is humming that loud I would suspect it should be replaced anyway. The old converters are not the best at charging batteries or running modern electronics anyhow. Its one of those items I always recommend updating. For us everything is usually turned off at night so so my converter is idle and the fan is not running -it's totally quiet.. Hope that answers you're questions?
Old 06-30-2011, 05:09 PM   #13

Registry
Thanks. An audiophile friend suggested that I take the transformer out, soak it in cleaner and then soak it in varnish to make the hum go away. I like your suggestion better.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:25 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davie B
Thanks. An audiophile friend suggested that I take the transformer out, soak it in cleaner and then soak it in varnish to make the hum go away. I like your suggestion better.
Wow.. I like you're friend! He sounds old school! Those guys usually like the hum you can do that at it may very well work too. But it's still an old inefficient transformer. Audio guys are cool cause they are they are the last few that know and understand how to repair analog equipment. Which is a dying art form.