Replacing Bigfoot toilet with cassette toilet - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2021, 05:15 PM   #1

Name: Sue
Trailer: Bigfoot
Alberta
Replacing Bigfoot toilet with cassette toilet

Hello all, I am new on the forum. We just purchased a 1980 17 foot Bigfoot today and are about to begin the fun. The unit has one tank that holds gray and black water. The concept and the limited size of the tank makes me want to go with a cassette toilet. It there any existing link or wisdom available on how difficult it would be to remove the existing toilet and use the bathroom as a shower. How would one remove, and patch the floor? Thanks in advance. I'm sure it won't be my last question. Lots of work has been poorly done to "Bluebell".
Brady Bunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 09:28 AM   #2

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Tanks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brady Bunch View Post
Hello all, I am new on the forum. We just purchased a 1980 17 foot Bigfoot today and are about to begin the fun. The unit has one tank that holds gray and black water. The concept and the limited size of the tank makes me want to go with a cassette toilet. It there any existing link or wisdom available on how difficult it would be to remove the existing toilet and use the bathroom as a shower. How would one remove, and patch the floor? Thanks in advance. I'm sure it won't be my last question. Lots of work has been poorly done to "Bluebell".
Tanks: 17' Wet bath (Shower and toilet area)
Our 1978 17' boler trailer has a tank directly under the toilet that is for black water above grade and the shower water goes into the grey water tank below grade. The black water tank runs both under toilet and into the space under area behind the front dinette/bed seat space above grade and separate empty valve through floor. So not that much different than you want to do. I think ours would be considered a flushable cassette toilet setup with about 5 gallon tank vs porta potty. They have posts about this on site you could read.

The black and grey mix is not a good idea and you could not use the toilet in winter being below grade tank storage. This would be an upgrade for your trailer.

Wish you all the best in your project; sorry I have no expertise in your type of trailer or with this type of fix as our boler setup is fine. There are others in this group with your type of trailer though. We maybe able to send pictures as well.

Please take pictures and post them as it will help for any questions you may have from members.

And welcome to the group
Old 04-18-2021, 11:48 AM   #3
tua

Name: Traveler
Trailer: Happier Camper
Utah
I have no experience in what you want to attempt but have to add that removing the toilet in my opinion is a good idea for numerous reasons, some of which have been pointed out by Bordon.

Also, there seems to be a new trend leaning toward toilet alternatives
tua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 12:07 PM   #4

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
I dunno, especially during Covid, I really really like having our own flush toilet, the two of us can dry camp a WEEK using the trailer toilet and shower exclusively, but our E21 has a separate black and grey holding tank, and a fairly large water supply (28g fresh, 22g black, 28g grey), and we're good with a sponge bath every other day and only doing a full shower w/ shampoo occasionally... Last weekend, 4 nights at the April Fools Rally in Bodega Bay, we used 2/3rds of our fresh water tank, but only 1/3 each of the black and grey capacity.

I had a portable cassette toilet that came with our old tent trailer... did not like emptying and cleaning it, and you need to do that every couple days because they only hold a gallon or so of chemical, and a couple gallons of black tank.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 01:22 PM   #5

Name: Derek
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Hi there. My Bigfoot is only a couple of years newer than yours and we definitely have two discrete tanks - 1 for black,, one for grey. Are you totally sure that you have one tank for both? If so I think that's an aftermaket/D.I.Y. mod. and you may want to talk to an RV pro about your ideas. Finger crossed for a positive outcome.
burrorojo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot