replacing Casita bathroom sink - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-06-2021, 05:30 AM   #21

Trailer: 1996 Casita Freedom Deluxe 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann Todd View Post
It appears that the sinks are riveted into the trailer body. Can't find the rivets on the outside of the trailer. Are they in the belly band somehow? We have a crack in our sink and need to replace it also. If the rivets are in the belly band how do we fix the holes. I'd like to do the same thing you did with putting a 2X4 inside the closet to hold the sink. I'm not as good as you with repairs and need some guidance on how to get the old one out and the new one in. I would even be happy with a simple metal sink with the shower still on the faucet. Thanks in advance.
Here's how to remove the old sink: Just drill out the old rivets. I used a 3/16" bit. You should be able to retrieve the rivet pieces on one side from inside the closet. The other "front" wall is doubled since the Casita bathrooms are a separate piece and the leftover rivet bits will fall down into never never land. As for ataching a new sink, you're on your own with that. My old plastic sink lasted over 25 years so I just stuck another one on.
Terry G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 05:47 AM   #22

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann Todd View Post
It appears that the sinks are riveted into the trailer body. Can't find the rivets on the outside of the trailer. Are they in the belly band somehow? We have a crack in our sink and need to replace it also. If the rivets are in the belly band how do we fix the holes. I'd like to do the same thing you did with putting a 2X4 inside the closet to hold the sink. I'm not as good as you with repairs and need some guidance on how to get the old one out and the new one in. I would even be happy with a simple metal sink with the shower still on the faucet. Thanks in advance.
The entire fiberglass bathroom enclosure is a separate molded assembly that is installed before the upper and lower halves of the trailer shell are mated. There is an interstitial space between the bathroom enclosure and the actual trailer hull. (And there is even the same ubiquitous "rat fur" carpeting on the trailer wall behind the bathroom enclosure too. (I found this out when I installed my front "porthole" window.) In short, the rivets do not extend through the trailer shell, Casita used those expanding rivets, (the ones that kind of look like baby scissor jacks when compressed,) to mount the old corner sinks. After drilling off the rivet heads holding the sink in place, I just left them where they were inside the gap. (Ain't hurting nothing, and no way to get to them anyway.) I sealed the holes with White Marine-Tex and you'd never know they were ever there. Oh, and the wood stiffener I put inside the closet is a piece of 1" X 4" Oak, not 2x4.

https://www.amazon.com/Marine-Tex-RM...6199226&sr=8-6
Attached Thumbnails
040 (Large).jpg   IMG_0004 (2).jpg  

IMG_0016 (2).jpg  
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 09:52 AM   #23

Name: Elaine
Trailer: Currently shopping
Moving to Idaho 😎
The porthole window is awesome too. Love it!
Moehringe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 12:55 PM   #24

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moehringe View Post
The porthole window is awesome too. Love it!
Thanks. It was one of the very first "mods" I did soon after I got my trailer. I love the trailer, but one of the biggest things that bothered me the most from the beginning, in an annoying way, was not being able to see anything out in front of the trailer without having to actually go outside to look around. Now I can see what's going on out front around my tow vehicle, and I also wired a new 3-way switch inside the front convenience light over the propane tanks and another 3-way switch inside the trailer. So now, even if it's dark out, I can still light up the front without having to go outside to flip the switch. It works from both locations. I can turn it on and off from either the inside switch or the switch on the light itself.
Attached Thumbnails
040 (Large).jpg   casita1 002 (Medium).JPG  

3-way (2).jpg  
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita