Replacing ensolite in Trillium - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2012, 07:18 PM   #1

Name: ken
Trailer: trillium
California
Replacing ensolite in Trillium

I want to replace the ensolite in my '76 Trillium. I have been reading up on the various ways that others have done this but I have not seen anyone mention the possibility of using roll on truck bed liner. Maybe it is a crazy idea, but the stuff comes in white and is supposed to adhere to fiberglass. It would also eliminate worries about covering seams in fabric wall coverings. I don't plan on cold weather camping so I'm not too worried about insulation. What are the thoughts out there...am I crazy?
Ken B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:23 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Well, but will you camp in hot weather? Insulation works both ways. Frederick's trailer is just painted fiberglass on the inside so he may be able to answer some of your questions (I know he has A/C). There's two things I'd be concerned about... moisture (has to go somewhere) and sound.

I know the first Bolers were built without insulation, but after a few were built they started adding the Ensolite.... had to be a reason...

If you want color... check out this place: Grizzly Grip
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:30 PM   #3

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Well, but will you camp in hot weather? Insulation works both ways. Frederick's trailer is just painted fiberglass on the inside so he may be able to answer some of your questions (I know he has A/C). There's two things I'd be concerned about... moisture (has to go somewhere) and sound.

I know the first Bolers were built without insulation, but after a few were built they started adding the Ensolite.... had to be a reason...

If you want color... check out this place: Grizzly Grip
Good points, but I'm also not concerned with heat or noise. The moisture may be a problem but the liner coatings are supposed to bond to the fiberglass from what I understand. My thinking is that a bed liner coating would be much more durable and washable than standard paint. Hopefully Frederick has something to say. Thanks.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:33 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Good points Ken, just make certain whatever you use is approved for interior use... you don't want outgassing that could make you very, very ill or make your trailer uninhabitable for months.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 11:32 PM   #5

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Frederick's trailer is just painted fiberglass on the inside so he may be able to answer some of your questions (I know he has A/C). There's two things I'd be concerned about... moisture (has to go somewhere) and sound.
I have been able to be comfortable in the Fiber Stream without insulation, but did notice that my 5k btu A/C works harder than some trailers I've visited. Above 95 degrees it is noticeably warmer at the opposite end of the trailer than right next to the A/C on high. In Palm Springs in August: Forgedaboudit; might as well just save the electricity. You're going to be HOT with less than 15k btu's AND insulation.

On cold mornings there is a very fine condensation on mostly the ceiling (not enough to drip), but the walls stay dry. We do well under a down comforter in a duvet overnight on 600 thread count sheets. Once we wake up the heater has the cabin toasty warm within 10 minutes.

Sound is the weak point. Don't discuss state secrets on the campground road nearby, we can hear every word from inside!

I was glad there was no wall covering when I bought the Fiber Stream since it was neglected and had a serious leak. No wet wall covering to remove! Not having to worry about moisture BEHIND insulation/wall covering keeps me from trying to install it in the Fiber Stream.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:36 PM   #6

California
Hi Frederick, What kind of paint did you use? I want to use a roll on truck bed liner but am concerned about its ability to stic to the fiberglass, especially the ceiling.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:44 PM   #7

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
I did not install the paint; the Fiber Stream factory just painted the interior of the shells of all of their trailers made before about 1980, and mine's original.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:50 PM   #8

California
Ok man I see. Well I am going to call Herculite tomorrow to see if they have any concerns about the product off gassing anything that might be a problem. I see on their website that many off road enthusiasts are doing interiors of jeeps as well as interior boat decks so I think it would be safe. Ii also says that repairs are as simple as paint touch ups, so I it should be easy to fix if any accidents require fiberglass patching.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:32 AM   #9

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1996 16' Casita SD
Louisiana
Registry
Ken, look for a water-based product. If there is any off-gassing it will go away much faster than a petroleum based product. Stay away from aliphatic products -that's what drove me away from painting cars. They will mess with your nervous system.
itlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 06:37 PM   #10

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by itlives View Post
Ken, look for a water-based product. If there is any off-gassing it will go away much faster than a petroleum based product. Stay away from aliphatic products -that's what drove me away from painting cars. They will mess with your nervous system.
Thanks for the tip. I am seriously considering the Grizzly product linked to on the earlier post. They have a version called aromatic that I think is water based that will be the best option.
Old 01-31-2012, 01:40 PM   #11

Name: jan
Trailer: 1972 Boler
New York
Ken, Will you let us know what Herculite says, or if you find another product? We recently bought an old, abused boler, infested with carpenter ants, mice, mold, etc--so we're stripping to the shell. Already put in a new floor; now we've been looking at what to do for inside walls. Using what's left of the old ensolite is not an option. We looked at new ensolite, but it's cost-prohibitive, and frankly, I think it would be a tough job. Same with the bubble-foil and rat-fur replacements. I'm interested in hearing more about those who don't have any insulation, just paint; we don't have AC because we camp just spring and fall, and just use fans if it's too warm. We were afraid moisture would be a problem with no insulation. Youre saying no? We'd like something we could spray or paint on, so we'd love to hear ideas/feedback of what has worked, or of research you've done. Thanks!
janony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:48 PM   #12

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by janony View Post
Using what's left of the old ensolite is not an option.
I know it is probably in rough shape, but if you can get the old ensolite off in one piece, there may be someone here interested in buying it.

I was thinking that one of those vibrating multi tools, with the correct bit could be used to shave off the ensolite like shearing a sheep.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:11 PM   #13

New York
It's pretty well carved up. I could probably get a number of pieces a couple of feet square, but it's been ripped apart, reglued, and painted over. I thought about trying to clean it up, reglue the pieces, using silicone caulk in the gaps, and then painting or covering it, but I'm afraid the work of cleaning, patching, and gluing, and trying to find something suitable to cover it, would be more trouble than it's worth.
Old 02-01-2012, 04:29 AM   #14

Name: Joel
Trailer: 1981 Boler
Sarnia, Ontario
I wonder if you installed that foil/bubble insulation on the walls and then cover the seams/joints up with aluminum foil tape then roll on that grizzly grip Aroma rubberized bed liner with a nice textured roller (not sure if its rubberized but the website said it was really flexible and great for indoors) if it will stick to that foil/bubble insulation i think this would be a really good option. i've been considering it myself. would realy like to get rid of the ensolite in our boler.

anyone think this would be a good option?
idiotsniff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 07:04 AM   #15

New York
Yes. As a matter of fact, we thought about that, then wondered if we could just put the Grizzly grip over the ensolite--I wonder if it would dissolve it.. As I said, the ensolite is really in bad shape, but if it's going to be sealed and covered, it might work as just the insulation filler...we're going to see if we can get a sample of the grizzly grip and try a small piece, see how it works. Our biggest worry is the off-gassing... have to see what happens. Thanks for your input.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:09 PM   #16

Sarnia, Ontario
janony, I was going to suggest putting over your ensolite, but you said it was all carved up. and i'm not sure what you would do about the seems? other then fill them in with caulk like everyone else does? then spray or roll? over that with grizzly grip? I was thinking maybe the caulk would shrink like ppl have complained about and it would split the grizzly grip to?

but if you do this please let everyone know it would be a real help to know if it works or not.

the ensolite on our boler is close to perfect other then the seam covering that has shrunk and gone all wiggly. so we don't know if i'd want to spray stuff over it and potentially ruin it. and have to start over again. i'd rather put that bubble foil stuff down then spray on that, and if that didn't work out we could maybe go back to the original ensolite and new seam covering trim.

anyways, hope it works out. I just noticed that grizzly grip place doesn't show the white or cream colour now for the Aromatic type indoor spray on stuff... it shows all the colours on the main page i think it was but then when you go order the stuff the light colours are missing/no longer sold? be something to call them about. they sell a pint sized bottle of it for 14 dollars I think it was, not sure if they'd give you a sample or not since that small size is available for sale?
Old 02-01-2012, 03:22 PM   #17

New York
Yeah, I hadn't thought about the shrinking. THe ensolite is pretty carved up, but we were figuring on sealing with silicone. We had a Scamp a few years ago (made the mistake of selling it for a bigger when the grandkids started coming with us) and I'd done the seams with silicone without problems, but I've heard others complain about the shrinking. Some of the seams on this camper seem to have been sealed with butyl, and I can't tear them apart--but they did such a rough job that I can't really leave them that way either. The more we talk about it, the more we're leaning toward just doing the grizzly over the bare fiberglass with no other insulation. We don't have AC, only camp spring and fall, and others have said that the condensation really isn't a problem at those times. So I don't know. Will definitely keep you posted on what we decide though. I did find some places to replace the ensolite--RAAMaudio has 1/8" at a decent price--but then fitting, gluing, and hoping the grizzly doesn't dissolve it...so much to consider...
Old 02-01-2012, 04:02 PM   #18

Sarnia, Ontario
janony,

spring and fall, thats what we do. We wouldn't go without insulation at that time of year. those are the months it colder. your heater will run just about constantly. I really think there will be more condensation in the trailer then you think. maybe not physical drops of water but I'm sure it will be damp on cold enough nights/days.

also, you have to figure noise. Myself personally, I hate noise especially noisey ignorant ppl, haha. so I would want to insulate just for that.

I'd really be looking into it further, maybe talk to more ppl that have no insulation in their trailers or read up on it if there is info on the subject. you'd hate to do it and regret the decision. can't really go wrong with insulation to be honest. would be awful to do all that work and find out you want to insulate. you won't be able to get that grizzly grip off, so you'd have to go over it with insulation then re-spray/roll grizzly on again. it would not only be terrible to do it twice because it will be a big job i'm sure, to do it right anyways. but it will also add more weight to the trailer if you did it twice also.

something to think about anyways,

good luck
Old 02-02-2012, 07:36 AM   #19

New York
I'm with you on the noisy ignorant ppl; I can barely tolerate the ones that aren't noisy or ignorant: LOL

I've been researching the bubble foils, single and double bubble. I also came across a product called Prodex, sold by insulation4less.com. It's a closed cell foam instead of air bubbles. Seems like it might be less likely to compress from loss of air over time, might be more durable. I can get a 300sq' roll of ecofoil (double bubble foil) from Amazon for $125, free shipping; this Prodex comes in 200sq' for $118 (including S&H). So it's a little more expensive, but might be worth the cost? If anyone has experience with either, I'd be interested in hearing advice. Also, we figured we could just about cover everything (except floor) for about 200-250 sq feet--others who have done this, is that about right?
Old 02-02-2012, 09:32 AM   #20

Trailer: Trillium 5500 1980
Why not the floor!!! An R15 floor would make it very comfortable. That Prodex would be perfect as it is nearly not compressible.
Normand Choiniere is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium