Replacing floor coverings - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2006, 09:32 AM   #1

Trailer: 1991 17 ft Burro
Hi Everyone,
We are new fgrv owners with a 17' widebody Burro. I have enjoyed reading some of the forum topics and have already learned so much from all of you. I'm hoping to learn more.

We recently discovered the carpet floor covering was wet after some heavy rains and located, I think, the source of the water entry. Failed silicone caulking around the fridge and water heater vents. The carpet was stained and not very good looking to begin with so we tore it out. We had planned to replace it anyway, the removal just took place sooner than expected.

Now my question; What should we replace it with, and why? Per W. has already offered some very good insight and suggestions through a pm, but wanting to see what alternatives might be available and draw on experiences from the group. We are considering a pergo-type floor covering as it is easy to keep clean and swept. Your comments are much appreciated. Thanks
David G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 10:58 AM   #2

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
I put maple laminate from Sam's in our Compact Jr. It has worn very well, is easy to clean, and shows no wear yet. It was not hard to install. We like the light color as it makes the small area seem bigger.

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/ViewPhoto?...&p=70829465

Tom Trostel
Old 09-28-2006, 12:06 PM   #3

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
my new floor just replaced with the pergo laminate flooring....

Name:   new_floor_back_view.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  8.5 KB

I didnt want it put under the table tho....
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 02:14 PM   #4

Quote:
I put maple laminate from Sam's in our Compact Jr. It has worn very well, is easy to clean, and shows no wear yet. It was not hard to install. We like the light color as it makes the small area seem bigger.

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/ViewPhoto?...&p=70829465

Tom Trostel
Tom, thank you for your response. I really like the look and I know we would like the ease of cleaning. How is it fastened down?
Old 09-28-2006, 02:17 PM   #5

Quote:
my new floor just replaced with the pergo laminate flooring....

Attachment 5005

I didnt want it put under the table tho....
Christi, thank you for your response, also. This floor is also very beautiful. Same question, how is it fastened down? Why not under the table, seems like this would be easier to clean than carpet etc?
Old 09-28-2006, 03:12 PM   #6

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
I just paint ours with a good floor enamel. When it gets a little rough looking, I just sweep it , sand lightly with 50 or 60 grit and roll on a new floor. Takes about an hour.

We also have a couple of throw rugs strategically placed.

Another thought:

If our Scamp floor would completely rot out, I would likely replace it with one of the plastic decking materials. I don't even think I would be terribly concerned about small gaps between the plastic boards. The greatest downside is they are pretty heavy.

Oh, by the way, how much does a stack of Pergo weigh that would be enought to cover a 16ft Scamp floor?
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 03:28 PM   #7

Trailer: Casita 16 ft 1984 and U-Haul CT13 1985
Registry
Hi David,

Here's a link to a previous thread re. flooring that you may find of interest (if you haven't already read it).

We put a laminate oak floor in our Casita and truly love both its look and ease of cleaning. Our floor is a couple of years old now, and we haven't had any problem with it. However, a carpenter friend of ours told us that it can develop problems if it comes in contact with moisture. Another member of this forum recently wrote in that his pergo type floor swelled up in response to water and would need to be replaced. So, if you put in a floor like this, be sure to wipe up any drips/spills quickly!

Jeanne
Jeanne and Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 03:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Hi David,

Here's a link to a previous thread re. flooring that you may find of interest (if you haven't already read it).

We put a laminate oak floor in our Casita and truly love both its look and ease of cleaning. Our floor is a couple of years old now, and we haven't had any problem with it. However, a carpenter friend of ours told us that it can develop problems if it comes in contact with moisture. Another member of this forum recently wrote in that his pergo type floor swelled up in response to water and would need to be replaced. So, if you put in a floor like this, be sure to wipe up any drips/spills quickly!

Jeanne
Hi Jeanne,
Thanks for your input and pointing out the previous thread. You are right, the possibility of moisture has been brought to my attention, and would be my only reservation. But I do like what you all have shown me with your own projects using this type of floor covering. I know the pergo-type floor coverings require some expansion room around the perimeter (and that's without the introduction of any moisture) as the product expands and contracts with humidity changes.

I'm going to wait til spring I think before installing the new floor (whatever we choose), to see if there are any more leaks.
David
Old 09-28-2006, 03:59 PM   #9

Quote:
I just paint ours with a good floor enamel. When it gets a little rough looking, I just sweep it , sand lightly with 50 or 60 grit and roll on a new floor. Takes about an hour.

We also have a couple of throw rugs strategically placed.

Another thought:

If our Scamp floor would completely rot out, I would likely replace it with one of the plastic decking materials. I don't even think I would be terribly concerned about small gaps between the plastic boards. The greatest downside is they are pretty heavy.

Oh, by the way, how much does a stack of Pergo weigh that would be enought to cover a 16ft Scamp floor?
Hi Loren,
I would guess the pergo to weight less than 100 pounds.
David
Old 09-28-2006, 08:40 PM   #10

Trailer: 85 Casita 16 ft and 2000 Scamp 16 ft
Hi David,

I just put in a new floor last night. Here's my story.....

Last week I bought a 2000 Scamp 16 in great shape. The in/outdoor carpet is in very good condition and I wanted to keep it that way; also, I like the wood look. So, I bought a 5x8 bamboo rug at the Sam's Club ($35) and cut it to fit the Scamp floor...took about 1.5 hours. Put it right on top of the carpet. Turned out great! If interested in the details let me know.

Michael
michael harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 09:53 PM   #11

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
My flooring is installed like the instructions for home use. Foam underlay was placed on the existing floor. Pieces of laminate were cut to allow 1/4" open space between new flooring and walls. Quarter round was mitre cut to cover space between floor and walls. The only place the new flooring is attached to the original floor is where the wood screws hold the pedestal cups for the two table legs.

We've had no problems with moisture. We've tracked in water, spilled coffee, etc. Of course, we live in a dry part of the country.

Tom Trostel
Old 09-29-2006, 05:48 AM   #12

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Hi Everyone,
We are new fgrv owners with a 17' widebody Burro. I have enjoyed reading some of the forum topics and have already learned so much from all of you. I'm hoping to learn more.

We recently discovered the carpet floor covering was wet after some heavy rains and located, I think, the source of the water entry. Failed silicone caulking around the fridge and water heater vents. The carpet was stained and not very good looking to begin with so we tore it out. We had planned to replace it anyway, the removal just took place sooner than expected.

Now my question; What should we replace it with, and why? Per W. has already offered some very good insight and suggestions through a pm, but wanting to see what alternatives might be available and draw on experiences from the group. We are considering a pergo-type floor covering as it is easy to keep clean and swept. Your comments are much appreciated. Thanks
Hi: We are new 3rd owners of a 13' Boler... Previous own. had shag in loose lay...I pulled it out and cut a paper pattern of the floor area...2" smaller than area to be covered...I used my large square for the straight lines and a block of 2x4 for the rounded lines at back of the dinette...when pattern is done mark top side on the patt. and flip it over,,,mark under side on bottom...We purchased a remnant of Berber @ local Carpet One dealer...It was marked $35. and when we went to pay he said make it $20...WE ran b/4 he changed his mind and took it home...Flipped it upside down on the basement floor and with patt. marked bottom on the carped put pencil lines on 2" wider than mark on patt. and cut on these lines with a razor knife... Flipped it over and slid it in the Boler....AHHHHH perfect fit...Loose lay can be removed turned over and bang out the camping dirt.. Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 08:09 AM   #13

Quote:
Hi David,

Last week I bought a 2000 Scamp 16 in great shape. The in/outdoor carpet is in very good condition and I wanted to keep it that way; also, I like the wood look. So, I bought a 5x8 bamboo rug at the Sam's Club ($35) and cut it to fit the Scamp floor...took about 1.5 hours. Put it right on top of the carpet. Turned out great! If interested in the details let me know.

Michael
Hi Michael,
Thanks for your response. Another great idea!
David
Old 09-29-2006, 08:11 AM   #14

Quote:
My flooring is installed like the instructions for home use. Foam underlay was place on the existing floor. Pieces of laminate were cut to allow 1/4" open space between new flooring and walls. Quarter round was mitre cut to cover space between floor and walls. The only place the new flooring is attached to the original floor is where the wood screws hold the pedestal cups for the two table legs.

We've had no problems with moisture. We've tracked in water, spilled coffee, etc. Of course, we live in a dry part of the country.

Tom Trostel
Hi Tom,
This is very encouraging, thank you!
David
Old 09-29-2006, 08:13 AM   #15

Quote:
Hi: We are new 3rd owners of a 13' Boler... Previous own. had shag in loose lay...I pulled it out and cut a paper pattern of the floor area...2" smaller than area to be covered...I used my large square for the straight lines and a block of 2x4 for the rounded lines at back of the dinette...when pattern is done mark top side on the patt. and flip it over,,,mark under side on bottom...We purchased a remnant of Berber @ local Carpet One dealer...It was marked $35. and when we went to pay he said make it $20...WE ran b/4 he changed his mind and took it home...Flipped it upside down on the basement floor and with patt. marked bottom on the carped put pencil lines on 2" wider than mark on patt. and cut on these lines with a razor knife... Flipped it over and slid it in the Boler....AHHHHH perfect fit...Loose lay can be removed turned over and bang out the camping dirt.. Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Hi Alf,
Thanks for your input. I like this idea, too!
David
Old 09-29-2006, 08:35 AM   #16

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
Quote:
Hi David,

Michael
Although I'm not quite there, yet; my intention is to install a bamboo hardwood-type floor. My initial research has found it priced any where from $2-4 per sq.ft, which would be prohibitive except for the fact that the egg's actual floor area is so small, I could cover it with cashmere if I wanted. Your idea of the bamboo rug cut-to-fit is very interesting. Could you post a photo? Thanks a milliion.
Kristi Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 10:04 AM   #17

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
I plan on using Bamboo flooring from Ikea. I purchaced one box from their as-is section for ten bucks. I hope to find another "as-is" box so I can do the project, I really don't want to have to cough up the 48 bucks for the second box.

cheep-cheep!
Old 10-02-2006, 11:41 AM   #18

Trailer: 85 Casita 16 ft and 2000 Scamp 16 ft
Quote:
Although I'm not quite there, yet; my intention is to install a bamboo hardwood-type floor. My initial research has found it priced any where from $2-4 per sq.ft, which would be prohibitive except for the fact that the egg's actual floor area is so small, I could cover it with cashmere if I wanted. Your idea of the bamboo rug cut-to-fit is very interesting. Could you post a photo? Thanks a milliion.
Hi Kristi,

Sorry for the late reply, I have been in the North Carolina mountains for the last few days. Fall is fast approaching, the leaves are just beginning to turn and a nip is in the air!

I'll be happy to post a picture and give you further details this evening. Of course, I say that never having posted a picture before. Wish me luck.

Michael
michael harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 07:02 PM   #19

Trailer: 1968 Venture (Molded Fiberglass 19 ft Class A Motorhome) and 82 TranStar B+
Send a message via AIM to Penny Taylor Send a message via Yahoo to Penny Taylor
<<<We recently discovered the carpet floor covering was wet after some heavy rains and located, I think, the source of the water entry. Failed silicone caulking around the fridge and water heater vents.>>>

Once again silicone has caused problems. When will folks learn to stay away from that stuff.

I bought a roll end of woodgrain, foambacked, cushioned linoleum from Home Depot, and put it in mine. It is so comfy to walk on. I hope that I can add a picture tomorrow.
I have enough left over to do my Class B+ van, so that I can take out the old tacky tan shag out of it !!
Penny Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 09:52 AM   #20

Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences and offering many wonderful suggestions. Once we get a new floor installed, I will post pictures
David