Replacing Scamp 16' Thermostat - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2007, 12:36 PM   #1

Trailer: 2004 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette / 2000 Ford F150 Truck ('Bettsy Blue')
Hello - we just spent a rather chilly evening in ID due to the fact that our thermostat doesn't like to work properly.

The furnace seems to heat just fine (if a bit on the noisy side, we agree) so we don't really want to have to replace the whole system...

Has anyone replaced just the thermost? And if so - with what, from where, and how?

Thanks in advance,
Peter & Kate
Peter Kienast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 12:54 PM   #2

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: I don't like to work properly...either and neither does my thermostat...but at least mine works better than my wifes Sorry I can't help with your problem as our "Egg" doesn't have a furnace Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 01:19 PM   #3

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Any good RV store should be able to help you. If you are a bit technically minded, you could use a nice digital thermostat intended to be used at home without too much difficulty.

-- Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 01:33 PM   #4

Quote:
Any good RV store should be able to help you. If you are a bit technically minded, you could use a nice digital thermostat intended to be used at home without too much difficulty.

-- Dan Meyer

That's what we needed to hear. Off to the store so we don't freeze tonite up at 49 Degrees North!

THANK YOU!
Old 01-07-2007, 03:41 PM   #5

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Trillium Outback
Registry
What you want/need is a Hunter digital thermostat. Available at WalMart, Lowes, and Home Depot and others. You want the one that operates on 2 AA batteries. Much better than the RV type. The model number I have is #42999B. But you can use any that run from batteries. Here is a link to a picture of it Link with picture. Here is a link with more info more info.

What I did rather than remove my perfectly good RV themostat was to mount the Hunter digital right next to the original with double sided mounting tape and ran jumper wires over to it. Turn the original off and the digital on, and it runs with 1 degree of tolerance. My original had about 7 degrees of tolerance before it would relight the furnace. Way to much for my manly comfort.

Here is a link to the thermostat Hunter thermostat 42999B

The only caution I would give you is to take the batteries out during the summer if you don't have AC to run.

Curt
Curt
1998 K2500 Chevy Silverado 6.5 Turbo Diesel, 4X4, ext cab, short bed
Curtis F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 10:37 AM   #6

Trailer: 2007 Casita Liberty Deluxe 17 ft / Honda Odyssey
Here's a link to my posting on replacing the thermostat and adding a relay to run the A/C. You can ignore the A/C discussion and just note the heater function.

My only complaint is you have to look at the thermostat to raise or lower the temperature (read the display while pushing the buttons) rather than just sliding the lever. Sometimes less is more!

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...91&hl=relay
Patrick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 07:16 PM   #7

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Trillium Outback
Registry
Excellent write up Patrick. I must have miss-spelled something when I searched here. I knew I had seen something before.

Curt
1998 K2500 Chevy Silverado 6.5 Turbo Diesel, 4X4, ext cab, short bed
Curtis F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 11:07 PM   #8

Trailer: 1974 13 ft Boler (GREEN and WHITE)
Send a message via MSN to iaian pettit
hi my name is Iaian and i purchased a 13' 74boler aka the OKANOGAN EGG. any way when i purchased it one of the things i was told was that the thermostat on the furnace doesnt work. the guy who sold it to me told me he looked into getting it fixed but would of costed a couple of hundred dollars so he just left it. i havent used the trailer yet n would only use it in the warmer months even though is a nice thought to have some heat on those cooler nites. so iam debating wether i look into getting i t fixed or come up with another sollution for heat on cooler nites.
iaian pettit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 12:56 AM   #9

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Iaian, I really can't believe there's any way that any problem with the thermostat could cost a couple hundred dollars to fix, unless that was allowing for hours of RV shop time. If it were me, I would just pull the wires off of the thermostat (in my own cheap spare time) and connect the appropriate ones together as if I were a thermostat telling the furnace to come on, and see if the furnace works... if it does, then it's a cheap thermostat fix... if not, then it's time to troubleshoot the furnace (which would be hundreds of dollars to replace, and could even be expensive to just fix).

There are manuals in the FiberglassRV Document Center (see link on the left side of the page, and work your way down through Appliances and then Furnaces/Heaters ) to assist with the thermostat wiring and furnace troubleshooting, for your particular furnace. Mine's a Suburban, but there's no way to be sure what's in any particular trailer other than looking at it and reading the label (usually inside, behind the front cover).

Even though there may be faster and easier ways to get heat (like plugging in a portable electric heater), I think it is valuable to have the option of using a nicely built-in propane-fueled furnace, especially when camping without outside power available.

If your Boler was built by Vanguard in Winfield like mine (thus, Okanagan Egg"), it's really close to home in Kelowna. Too bad Boler isn't around anymore, and even Vanguard moved out of B.C.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 01:54 AM   #10

Trailer: 1996 13 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to John Perry
Quote:
Has anyone replaced just the thermost? And if so - with what, from where, and how?

Thanks in advance,
Peter & Kate
Go to Wall Mart or any buillding supply store such as Home Depot or Lowes and buy the cheapest heat only thermostat. Should cost you about $10.00. All the thermostat is is a low voltage on/off switch. Very easy to change as it only has 2 very thin wires. You might check and make sure the wires have not broke at the connections.
The face plate on the thermostat should just pull off and you will see the connections and the mounting screws.
Hope this helps,
John
John Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 09:50 AM   #11

Thanks for all the great responses, it has given me a lot of options. I decided to go with a slide low voltage replacment which looks much like the original factory installed unit (12.99 at ACE Hardware.) I hope it will keep the temprature more consistant, the OEM thermostat just didn't do the job (swings of up to 10 degrees.) I am going to install it today and will give an update as to the success of this operation. If it doesn't work I will install a digital one like suggested http://www.hunter-thermostats.com/digital-...mostats-all.htm.
Thanks again,
Peter
Old 01-10-2007, 06:24 PM   #12

Trailer: Bigfoot 17 ft (15B17G) / Chevy Astro AWD
Quote:
Hello - we just spent a rather chilly evening in ID due to the fact that our thermostat doesn't like to work properly.

The furnace seems to heat just fine (if a bit on the noisy side, we agree) so we don't really want to have to replace the whole system...

Thanks in advance,
Peter & Kate
Hi;

I replaced my older thermostat with one made by Honeywell.

http://www.nextag.com/honeywell-th5110/search-html

I'm just glad I did !

Yves.
Yves Pelchat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 01:09 AM   #13

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
I replaced the original thermostat on my Scamp because the On/Off level, which was plastic and hard to move, broke.

I went to my local hardware store and purchased a White-Rogers Model 7200/7250 Heat Only Thermostat, which has a metal On/Off lever. The brochure says the thermostat operates millivolt, 12volt and 24 volt heating systems.

It was simple pie to install just disconnect and reconnect the wires. The thermostat should be pre-set by the factory, so no adjustments are necessary. My new one has been working great for several years now. I paid $15 to $20 for it, I can't remember the amount but not much.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp