replacing the canvans on Compact Junior - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2019, 06:15 PM   #1

Name: Tiffany
Trailer: Compact junior
Oklahoma
replacing the canvans on Compact Junior

We just purchased a 1972 Compact Junior and need to install new canvas on the pop up top but the camper did not have the original old canvas to use for a pattern. Any suggestions on how I could go about doing this without a pattern?
Backwoodsbeautiful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 06:26 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
maybe cut up old cotton sheets to use as prototypes til you get the shape right, then use them as the pattern for the tent fabric ?
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 07:23 PM   #3

Name: Kip
Trailer: Hunter
Arizona
Measure the inside of the top and the outside of the bottom. Take the measurements to a boat cover repairman and tell them it needs to be 13” tall. When I had mine made we had them use solid fabric with zip down windows.
Fiberglassflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 09:53 AM   #4

Name: Jane
Trailer: Hunter Compact Jr 1972
Colorado
Registry
What is you replacement timeline? Immediately or in a while?
I replaced my pop top canvas last year. I may still have the old one and/or the pattens and drawings I made. I’m on the road currently but plan to be home mid-sept. I can find what I have then and we can discuss how to transfer the information.
janel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 09:56 AM   #5

Oklahoma
Oh that would be great! Thank you so much! I would like to do it as soon as possible but please let me know when you are back just in case I havent figured it out by then.
Old 08-15-2019, 07:16 PM   #6

Name: ThatGuyBri785
Trailer: HUNTER
Kansas
Did you ever figure out a suitable replacement for your 72 CJ? I purchased a 72 compact jr a little over a year ago that was completely gutted on the inside. I've been slowly picking away at it replacing the floor, painting the interior walls, new glass and resealing the windows and building the bench/bed layout to the best of my ability. Bought a sink/stove combo out of an old tent trailer and all I have left are cabinetry on the curbside back half, exterior paint(PO painted over the gelcoat) and replacing the pop top material. I've been considering rip stop but would love to hear what you went forward with
Brian Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 10:49 PM   #7

Trailer: Hunter 1 / Chevy Blazer
Registry
Pop top

I had the old one when I redid mine 10 years ago. Instead of remaking the Velcro window covers I just doubled up the screens. If it gets cold I just close the top.
Linda of San Diego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 09:47 AM   #8

Colorado
Registry
I used weatherMAX 65 from Seattle Fabrics. https://www.seattlefabrics.com/61-We...yard_p_59.html
I followed videos from Sailrite for installing zippered windows and used noseeum screen.
Rip stop. Can be slippery to sew with and noises in the wind. weatherMAX was easy to see even with the many yards required.
Old 08-16-2019, 09:54 AM   #9

Colorado
Registry
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0010.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	176.6 KB
ID:	131046Attachment 1Attachment 1
Old 08-16-2019, 09:57 AM   #10

Colorado
Registry
I tried to post photos but don’t know what went wrong.
Old 08-16-2019, 10:03 AM   #11

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by janel View Post
I tried to post photos but don’t know what went wrong.
I got the first one and it looks awesome! I am new to forums and have no idea how to send them either. Thank u for the info though I love using youtube to learn so I can pause and rewind. I am definitely a more hands on learner. When u say it is noisy in the wind would u say its too noisy? Do you wish you had used something else instead? I've heard other people say RIP stop was sort of a pain to sew so. Will probably try to do a rough muslin this weekend and see if it's even worth the saving to do myself.
Old 08-16-2019, 10:07 AM   #12

Oklahoma
Brian- we actually just got.the camper on Tuesday so we havent even started anything yet. Hopefully this weekend we will do some gutting and measurements. Its rough and hard for me to even know where to start. Most of the I terror is original but sort of cobbled back together so I struggle with what to remove and replace. I know I'm going to want to go camping in the fall and dont want to make it inoperable for a long time.
Old 08-16-2019, 10:07 AM   #13

Colorado
Registry
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0010.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	301.5 KB
ID:	131047
Old 08-16-2019, 10:10 AM   #14

Colorado
Registry
Rip stop is noisy. WeatherMAX is whisper quiet. I loved working with it. I used my home sewing machine. Read up on thread recommendations for UV. You don’t want your pop top to fail from using the wrong thread!
Old 08-21-2019, 03:42 PM   #15

Name: Kip
Trailer: Hunter
Arizona
replacing the canvans on Compact Junior

I have a custom canvas seamstress that just made one for my Jr. if you want one let me know and I will give her number to you. She will send the finished product to you. It cost around $250.00. She is excellent and will build anything. She is doing my screen door cover now.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0116.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	308.9 KB
ID:	131140
Fiberglassflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 04:39 PM   #16

Name: Nancy
Trailer: Scamp 13’
Oregon
Check-out Karin's Campster reno

KCorbin did an amazing renovation on her Campster that included sewing her own pop-up. The details she provides and the clarity of her writing makes her account a useful resource and a great read. I think the pop-up info starts around post #123. You might also enjoy starting at the beginning of her thread, but be prepared, it is lengthy, but oh so well done.
Out4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 11:13 AM   #17

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Out4Fun View Post
KCorbin did an amazing renovation on her Campster that included sewing her own pop-up. The details she provides and the clarity of her writing makes her account a useful resource and a great read. I think the pop-up info starts around post #123. You might also enjoy starting at the beginning of her thread, but be prepared, it is lengthy, but oh so well done.
Thank u so much! In gonna check it out now! I am so thankful for this group!
Old 08-24-2019, 02:26 AM   #18

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Out4Fun View Post
I am still around, just been lazy about updating my thread on the Campster to keep it current. Mostly because I am too lazy to take photos as that means I would have clear out all the clutter of tools and materials inside the trailer where I have been building cabinets and doing the wiring work.

On the rainy days I have been putting in some time with sewing covers for the new cushions.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 03:06 AM   #19

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
I am still around, just been lazy about updating my thread on the Campster to keep it current. Mostly because I am too lazy to take photos as that means I would have clear out all the clutter of tools and materials inside the trailer where I have been building cabinets and doing the wiring work.

On the rainy days I have been putting in some time with sewing covers for the new cushions.
work in progress pics SHOULD be full of tools and clutter, cuz thats reality.

John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 06:19 AM   #20

Oklahoma
canvas for hunter compact jr

Quote:
Originally Posted by janel View Post
What is you replacement timeline? Immediately or in a while?
I replaced my pop top canvas last year. I may still have the old one and/or the pattens and drawings I made. I’m on the road currently but plan to be home mid-sept. I can find what I have then and we can discuss how to transfer the information.

I still haven't gotten the gusto to get started on my Jr canvas top. Are you back home yet? If you could send me the info you used for yours that would be awesome. Also, if you have any pics of the way it is attached that would be helpful too. I can send you my e-mail if that would be easier.

I really appreciate you offering to help! I have been so impressed with the amazing community of people on here! Everyone is so nice! Now if I can just get my Little Sweet Pea finished and get out there and start camping