Replacing Windows - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2006, 07:36 AM   #1

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
That was weird. Yesterday, when I went to post this topic's initial message I got an error report instead. Was able to return to main screen but my post wasn't there, and then got same error message when I tried to open any post. Have no idea what happened.

Now I see my topic, but no message body. (??) OK, starting over...

Recap: My front window leaked. I removed it, removed the silicone, butyled it, and reseated the window. Next heavy rain it leaked again! Frustrated, and thinking I had a tired, 25 year old window here, I looked to replace it. Found the Hehr site and contacted them for an estimate. They do make great windows, beefy, well engineered, attractive, but the price quote for new I got was way too rich for my blood. ($700+)

Searching ebay I found what I wanted but it was 2 inches wider than my rough opening. That's a problem with the Burro because of its unique molded shape. The price, however, was too good to ignore, so I went for it. Got so excited I began looking at other windows, and picked up two more Hehrs for the sides, at $20 apiece! Ebay salvage sellers - bless you, boys. Yes, these two were also not a perfect fit, but, I reasoned, do-able.

That was back a couple months. Now its getting warm enough for me to work outside so the installation begins.

The two side windows are a couple inches less tall than my rough opening so I must add wood inserts to fill the void. The front window is flat across but the Burro wall is angled, so I must build a wedged frame and attach it. All these wood extensions will then be fiberglassed over.
Attached Thumbnails
WindoSide03.jpg   WindoFr03a.jpg  

MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 10:41 AM   #2

New Mexico
Registry
Used five-quarter wood to make tapered front window framing. Sealed with fiberglass. Test-dry-fitted here, screwed to walls.
Attached Thumbnails
WinFr01.jpg   WinFr02.jpg  

Old 04-06-2006, 02:35 PM   #3

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
Nice job Myron.
Thanks for this info I may need it someday myself. So far so good tho.
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 05:35 PM   #4

Trailer: 86 Burro 17 ft Widebody
Myron,
You are an animal!! A WORK ANIMAL!!!! I love it. Good luck with the new windows.
Rick
Rick F. D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 04:42 PM   #5

New Mexico
Registry
Here's newly fiberglassed framing for Burro front window. After sanding, window here is dry-fitted - clamped from inside. Got to get some primer, then will paint fiberglass and butyl in the window.

Arf.
Attached Thumbnails
WinFr03.jpg   WinFr04.jpg  

Old 04-12-2006, 12:29 PM   #6

New Mexico
Registry
Oh, also needed to make hinges for attaching a rock guard. Had some scrap stainless steel plate I cut to shape with metal cut-off wheel and drill press.
Attached Thumbnails
WinFr05.jpg  
Old 04-15-2006, 03:55 PM   #7

New Mexico
Registry
New Hehr windows now butyled and clamped in place, and ready to take on the next big rain. Had to cut the white clamp ring down on its sides to make it fit. Note curtain brackets screwed into clamp ring instead of drilling holes in Burro walls.

Added a stained walnut strip of poplar across bottom of black side windows. This hides the glassed and painted wood spacer and its holding screw. Remember, side windows are smaller than original rough opening. Was able to screw the poplar down from inside the clamp ring.
Attached Thumbnails
WindoFr09a.jpg   WindoSide06.jpg  

Tags
windows