Requesting feedback on refinishing scamp cabinets - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2020, 06:53 PM   #1

Name: Ashlee
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
Requesting feedback on refinishing scamp cabinets

Hello,

I am in the process of renovating my '73 Scamp. I've always been bothered by how dingy the cabinetry and closet look. I've attached a photo below. Has anyone had experience refinishing or painting this surface? I'm not sure if it is fiberglass as well? Any feedback on the process and how well it has held up would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Ashlee
Attached Thumbnails
scamp cabinets.jpg  
ABECK7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 08:17 PM   #2

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABECK7 View Post
Hello,

I am in the process of renovating my '73 Scamp. I've always been bothered by how dingy the cabinetry and closet look. I've attached a photo below. Has anyone had experience refinishing or painting this surface? I'm not sure if it is fiberglass as well? Any feedback on the process and how well it has held up would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Ashlee

The cabinets look like fiberglass ( that is standard)
However the doors are pressed wood.... easy to repaint if you aren’t up to making new doors
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 04:48 AM   #3

Trailer: Casita Patriot
Registry
my casita came with pressed wood doors which i replaced with 1/2" plywood stained with golden oak and sealed with polyurethane. i think they look a lot better than those wood grain wallpaper sawdust doors and weigh a lot less....

p@
Attached Thumbnails
doors_interior.jpg  
patrick crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 12:11 PM   #4

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
If it is the fiberglass portion, clean and polish just like you would do with the outside. If it is the doors, paint. Lots of threads on both.

The fiberglass portion is basically maintenance free, eventually clean and polish. My 1977 Trillium interior fiberglass is as original. I did paint the fake wood doors and replaced some broken ones.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 07:27 PM   #5

Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan H View Post
The cabinets look like fiberglass ( that is standard)
However the doors are pressed wood.... easy to repaint if you aren’t up to making new doors

Thanks! I should clarify, I've replaced the pressed wood doors already. I am referring to the fiberglass portion.
Old 04-08-2020, 07:30 PM   #6

Minnesota
Thanks Bill. I've cleaned and washed the fiberglass portion thoroughly but it still looks terrible. I would like to refinish and paint it if possible but I'm afraid it will chip.
Old 04-08-2020, 07:32 PM   #7

Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick crawford View Post
my casita came with pressed wood doors which i replaced with 1/2" plywood stained with golden oak and sealed with polyurethane. i think they look a lot better than those wood grain wallpaper sawdust doors and weigh a lot less....

p@

Those look great! I replaced my pressed wood doors with pine and applied stain and poly.
Old 04-08-2020, 07:53 PM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Quote:
Thanks Bill. I've cleaned and washed the fiberglass portion thoroughly but it still looks terrible. I would like to refinish and paint it if possible but I'm afraid it will chip.
Try using a rubbing compound made for fiberglass, like such used on fiberglass boats. They come in various abrasive compounds, so try using the least abrasive first, and if that doesn’t work, use the other followed by the less abrasive one. Follow up with a good wax for fiberglass. Good luck.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 09:21 PM   #9

Name: Bob
Trailer: Boler 1300
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Thanks! I should clarify, I've replaced the pressed wood doors already. I am referring to the fiberglass portion.
I painted the fiberglass cabinets on my 73 boler after having patched the many holes in them. Lightly sanded them, used Bullseye 123 to prime and used a Benjamin Moore satin on top. It's held up really well for the last year. I know some people have gone with marine enamels for a topcoat which for sure would hold up well but I really didn't want a gloss finish. Actually full disclosure - Used the same for the ensolite.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P_20190628_142348_PN.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	214.8 KB
ID:	133864
Attached Thumbnails
support.jpg  
bobdobqb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 06:51 AM   #10

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
If it has a lot of patches, then paint is a good option. Otherwise, I would read up on Marine Polishes, there is a good thread on the forum, 3M makes a lot of them.

I personally like the original gelcoat inside my 1977 Trillium. I think it looks good. The dark vinyl covered doors were hideous. By painting them, I think I really lightened up the inside of the trailer. I could lighten it further if I did something on the original curtains and cushion fabric. But I like keeping mine basically original (minus the hideous vinyl fake wood doors). Dumping the original shag carpet helped too! I also replaced all the beat up original lighting with LED fixtures. Not only did it greatly reduce the power usage in my trailer (about 90% compared to incandescent), but I was able to add more fixtures. I replaced several single lights with doubles, which I can have completely off, run one, or run both.

1977 Trillium Painted Cabinet Doors by wrk101, on Flickr
1977 Trillium Painted Cabinet Doors by wrk101, on Flickr

1977 Trillium 1300 by wrk101, on Flickr
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 11:56 AM   #11

Trailer: 89 Scamp 16 ft
Registry
I don't know about painting the fiberglass inside -- I like how it looks and if it was dingy, I'd probably lean towards trying to fix it like fiberglass.

HOWEVER, if you're going to paint it, I'd consider using a "cabinet" paint as in a house kitchen. These paints tend to create a somewhat hard "shell" and a few of my friends can attest to their durability in well-used kitchens. I'm not sure exactly what product they used, but I'm confident it was Sherwin-Williams. You might contact them and explain what you're trying to do.

Whatever you do, good luck and happy remodeling!!
Old 04-15-2020, 02:02 PM   #12

Name: Kate & George
Trailer: Boler 1300
AB
Great-looking cabinets, lights and support column!
Kate W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 02:52 PM   #13

Name: XXX
Trailer: whatever
NA
Quote:
Hello,

I am in the process of renovating my '73 Scamp. I've always been bothered by how dingy the cabinetry and closet look...Any feedback on the process and how well it has held up would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Ashlee

Hi Ashlee,
Before you paint, try a polish called Flitz. Available in various sizes and a liquid or paste. It's often advertised as a metal polish, but works wonders on fiberglass. I prefer the paste, and a little goes a long way so don't get too sticker shocked.
If there is any life left in the fiberglass, Flitz with some elbow grease will make it shine and brighten up.
Hidalga is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp