Rivet gun - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2014, 08:50 PM   #1

Name: Linda
Trailer: Burro 13'. 1982
Montana
Rivet gun

I have watched numerous YouTube videos about rivet tools and will purchase one shortly........question.......does anyone know the thickness of the double hull 1982 Burro? I'll attempt an awning strip but I don't want to puncture the inside skin.....

Will this method work to attach some sort of flange (or whatever it's called that would support something coming out of the wall to hang a light weight wire shelf) to the walls?

My head is buzzing with ideas to use this tool!

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Lfoxmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 12:36 AM   #2

Name: Frank
Trailer: Casita
California
Harbor Freight has an air operated rivet tool that makes things much easier. Cost is around $30. I have one and it works well.

Frank
frankcfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 05:26 AM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I have an air operated rivet gun but of course that requires having an air compressor. I also have a few different hand rivet guns. It has been recommended to use 3/16" peel type rivets in fiberglass as they spread out the load area. Our Uhaul is similar to your Burro with a double wall / inside shell. The space between inner and outer varies so be careful when drilling. Either wrap tape around the drill bit or some kind of tubing slipped over to limit penetration. A number 11 or 12 drill makes a hole slightly larger than 3/16" so it is easier to insert the rivet. I installed my awning rail with rivets, but that's a whole other controversial topic that I'll avoid here
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 06:29 AM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
On the subject of rivets there's also Bulbex. they spread out in 3 directions too but differently then peel ones.
Avdel Global :: Bulbex®

Here's info on peel rivets.
http://www.bralo.com/en/products/non...-rivets/peeled

Both links show how they spread out. Bulbex is now part of Stanley.

Joe
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote