rivet rivet - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2012, 08:07 PM   #1

Name: ruth
Trailer: 1986 13' scamp
Pennsylvania
rivet rivet

I'm going to start replacing some rivets starting with cabinets. I'll just stick with rivets from scamp and order them with acorn nut. If I understand correctly I place a rivet over a clear cup washer then top with white solid cap? should I place something (other than silicone caulk) over mandrel and under clear cap to assist in 'sealing' ? thanks for the help....
kayleigh0302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:37 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Ruth, if you use silicone caulk on your Scamp.. we'll all get the flying monkeys after you. Repeat after me... no silicone! There are much better caulk solutions. Silicone is a temporary fix that creates a permanent problem.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:05 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
On fiberglass use Pro-flex white seals better than silicone.
Chuck
Deb & Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:20 AM   #4

Name: ruth
Trailer: 1986 13' scamp
Pennsylvania
no not the flying monkeys.......!!!! haha exactly why silicone is NOT an option, but should I apply this pro flex before I insert rivet or just to exterior around clear cap on top then apply white top cap?
kayleigh0302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:31 AM   #5

Name: Joel
Trailer: 1981 Boler
Sarnia, Ontario
Can someone tell me what this Pro-flex is? what type of sealant? and where can it be had?

thanks,
idiotsniff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 06:36 AM   #6

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Uses for Silicone sealer on RV's
In repairing both fiberglass and sticky Toyota motorhomes I have found that silicone sealer has been most helpful in locating the next place where a leak will occur. Just follow the sealer bead from where it has started to peel off.
Silicone sealer tubes are also useful as tire chocks, and for killing flies. For the latter, you show the fly a place you have "Sealed" with silicone and they laugh themselves to death.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:45 AM   #7
Commercial Member

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I sell the Pro-Flex or any RV repair shop you can find it closer to home. Priced from 9.69 to 14.99 is the price range here in the States.
Chuck
Deb & Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:46 AM   #8

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayleigh0302 View Post
no not the flying monkeys.......!!!! haha exactly why silicone is NOT an option, but should I apply this pro flex before I insert rivet or just to exterior around clear cap on top then apply white top cap?
Ruth, some people (I do) put a tiny tiny tiny bit of caulking on the clear plastic cap on the side that goes up against the trailer around where the rivet goes through it - before shooting the rivet into place. Dont put to much as you do not want the caulking to seep out from under the cap - keep a cloth in hand to wipe away right away any caulking the seeps out from under the cap. Some people also put another tiny tiny dab of caulking over the rivet hole before they put they snap the white cap on. Again you dont want the caulking seeping out from the cap.

As you have figure out by now any caulking that is visible on the trailer is not a good thing
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:51 PM   #9

Name: Joel
Trailer: 1981 Boler
Sarnia, Ontario
chuck, can you tell me what type of sealant that proflex is? and what does it clean up with?

thanks,
idiotsniff is offline   Reply With Quote