Rock chips question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2021, 12:03 PM   #1

Name: Scott
Trailer: Bigfoot
Alaska
Smile Rock chips question

First off I’m planning on wedding up a rock guard for our Dodge 2500, but is there another idea or product that I can also incorporate with the truck rock guard to protect the trailer.
We bought the darn thing two years ago but because of the border restrictions driving south from Juneau we have just let it stay in storage for two years. It’s an older trailer but it’s in premo condition. We plan on using it in the Yukon and south central Alaska when we head north for dip netting & hunting. If you are familiar with road up north you’ll understand my concern. Any suggestion welcomed.
Thank you,
Scott
Sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 12:18 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Apply a chip guard coating or truck bed liner to the lower front portion of the fiberglass body. This will prevent the gel coat from chipping. I owned a molded fiberglass trailer that had previously sustained extensive rock chip damage to the lower front portion of the gel coat. In addition the molded fiberglass bottom had contours facing forward and those areas had chipped and then the fiberglass layer had weakened and broken through. I repaired the fiberglass damage and then coated the lower front facing areas with truck bed liner.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 01:38 PM   #3

Name: Tom
Trailer: BigFoot 25B25RT
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Michigan View Post
Apply a chip guard coating or truck bed liner to the lower front portion of the fiberglass body. This will prevent the gel coat from chipping. I owned a molded fiberglass trailer that had previously sustained extensive rock chip damage to the lower front portion of the gel coat. In addition the molded fiberglass bottom had contours facing forward and those areas had chipped and then the fiberglass layer had weakened and broken through. I repaired the fiberglass damage and then coated the lower front facing areas with truck bed liner.
I like this idea. I have a star burst on the lower right of my BigFoot. I think this will be a good fix.
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote