Rock Guard / Awning / Flag Pole - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2014, 07:36 AM   #1

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Rock Guard / Awning / Flag Pole

I went to 2 Home Depot stores with a list of materials to make the Famous JoyA rock guard / awning support mod, but couldn't find all the PVC parts required. I decided to make my own. I used an old broom handle found in my garage, and bought some S/S hardware, a small can of polyurethane varnish, two stick-on plastic chair glides, and a short length of paracord. The awning is held up with 2 long eye-bolts attached to the broom handle. A third eye-bolt goes through a hole drilled in the rock guard and the two chair glides provide reinforcement around the hole, and prevent any rubbing of the rock guard by the eye bolts. The pole also had 2 eye bolts installed for the flag attachment.

There is a hole drilled through the pole near the bottom to keep gusts of wind from lifting the awning and pole. The bottom of the pole sits in a pocket molded into the battery box cover. It is very solid, and in fact withstood the T-storm at the Algonac Rally last weekend.

This sounds more complicated than it is. I hope the pictures clear it up.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00434.jpg   DSC00435.jpg  

DSC00442.jpg   DSC00454.jpg  

TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 07:51 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Tom, it looks like a good idea.:
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 09:35 AM   #3

Michigan
Thanks Dave & Paula. It was fun to make, and rock solid. The flag flew on our sail boat in a prior life. We explored the Great Lakes (except Lk Ontario) under her back in the '80s. Now it will see the U.S.and Canada from the roads and trails.

Tom
Old 09-13-2014, 09:59 AM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Tom what a great idea!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 12:46 PM   #5

Michigan
Thanks Carol. I can't find our Canadian flag. We flew that one too when in Canadian waters, as is the maritime custom. When I find a good quality Maple Leaf, there's room for that as well.

Tom
Old 09-14-2014, 07:12 PM   #6

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
What a great and simple idea! I may fly the "whole earth as seen from space" flag.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning