Roof Fan install or not - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2014, 09:52 AM   #21

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
I had installed a Fantastic Fan in our Scamp, and now have a MaxxAir fan in our Lil Snoozy. The MaxxAir gives me more speed selections, is quieter, and can be left open during rain storms. Roof fans work great when used as David stated (only open the window that you would like the breeze to come in).
Dave & Paula
There's no question of the quality and function of the MaxxAir fan.
Their best fan can cost more than some roof mount A/C units.

The advantages of the Fantastic Fan are...
More choices from very basic to feature laden.
Lower price at all levels but especially at entry level with the same quality throughout the line.
Available flat cover for low clearance when needed.
Long history of reliability.
The comfort of proven prompt service and a history of honoring a lifetime guarantee.

MaxxAir makes a weather proof cover for the Fantastic Fan which can easily be removed for cleaning or storage.
Still the MaxxAir vent is a nice high end product.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 01:22 PM   #22

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Floyd, the Lil Snoozy factory installed the "entry line" MaxxAir for the same price as the entry level Fantastic Fan they normally use... around $200.00.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 01:53 PM   #23

Name: Andrew
Trailer: Amerigo
Indiana
Thanks for all the feed back! After thinking more on the pros and cons it has now brought up another question.... what about mounting the fan on the side of the camper? Seems like that would greatly reduced the chance of a leak but still give the air flow. Any thought or opinions??
hotrodaj31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 04:41 PM   #24

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
Floyd, the Lil Snoozy factory installed the "entry line" MaxxAir for the same price as the entry level Fantastic Fan they normally use... around $100.00.
Dave & Paula
OEM prices are arbitrary...
Try comparing them on the aftermarket.
Here are Camping World's prices on each...

Search - fantastic fan - Camping World

Search - Camping World

I do realize that the prices overlap and more features cost more money, but to add to the disparity, Fantastic Fan has a much wider availability and is more easily found at discounted prices, (based solely on my own experience).
I will admit that I have not bothered to price either brand at any trailer manufacturers parts department (except maybe Scamp).

I also recognize that price is only one of many considerations when buying any product.
Old 09-14-2014, 04:44 PM   #25

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Roof Fan install or not

As far as mounting a Fantastic Fan on the side of the trailer.....Heat rises. That is why they are installed on the roof, to vent out excess heat. And if it is properly installed, using butyl tape it will not leak for a long, long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 09-14-2014, 06:51 PM   #26
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodaj31
Thanks for all the feed back! After thinking more on the pros and cons it has now brought up another question.... what about mounting the fan on the side of the camper? Seems like that would greatly reduced the chance of a leak but still give the air flow. Any thought or opinions??
DannyH did it in his Scamp.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...one-44648.html
Attached Thumbnails
image-178819361.jpg  
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 10:47 PM   #27

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
I can see one small problem...If you put the hinge at the top it likely would not leak at the campsite, but the lid would be stressed at highway speeds and may even leak.
You might put the hinge toward the front of the trailer and also put a rain guard over the top?
DannyH , could you comment on this? I see you have used the flattop(Metal?) lid.. certainly the best choice.
Old 09-15-2014, 06:01 AM   #28
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
He hasn't been active since June. In one thread on his project I asked about fan placement and I recall he asked fantastic fan if there would be problems and they said no. I can't find that thread but for those that haven't seen this, here's the completion thread. It's very impressive.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...amp-45069.html

I believe he has since sold the trailer. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 02:48 PM   #29

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
I like the fan to be over the bed. It is the most effective there, and you can access the controls without getting out of bed.
Our Scamp came with a Fantastic Fan which has worked flawlessly. On high speed there is significant wind noise, so we run it slower when sleeping.
We also added a Maxxfan canopy so we could leave the fan hatch open in all weather, and when under way. The Maxxfan cover is well designed to mount to the Fantastic Fan, and be quickly removed for cleaning by removing some pins. The grill has 3 sides (facets) that increase the total area which passes more CFMs of air. It is a very well thought out product.
I wouldn't worry too much about waterproofing, as most all trailers have these types of penetrations. If your roof is concaved and holds water, it may be preferable to install a glassed in curb to get above the waterline. Ponding water is hard on caulked joints.
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 03:27 PM   #30

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
We have a Fantastic fan AND A/C. For whoever is talking about camping in Alabama and only needing a fan to me could be a bit misleading-- in June; at least for non-southerners. Come down here and camp in July and August when the humidity is about 70-80% and more at night. I personally cant hardly breathe when it's that "stuffy" in a small trailer so it's a/c or none for me. (Been there done that)

With that said, IF you're going to go a Fantastic fan, I would go all out and get it with a thermostat! For the cool fall nights upcoming (in the south), it can start out fairly warm at bedtime then get very cool over in the morning. Having a thermostat would conveniently switch it off before it gets too uncomfortable and wakes you up. I run a small fan at night for "white" noise so with the fan switching on and off wouldnt bother me.

That's just my $.02 on the subject.
Darral is offline   Reply With Quote