Roof vent fan upgrade - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2017, 09:52 PM   #1

Name: Billy Sharpstick
Trailer: Scamp 13 - 2005
Florida
Registry
Roof vent fan upgrade

Reolacing the old roof vent fan, Fantastic 4000R. Apparently the second one. Roof has two sets of holes all over the place. About half of them are where the new Maxxair installation screws need to go.
Plan:
1. Old chisel to remove most of old silicone.
2. Use silicone remover and wire wheel to clean up the rest of it.
3. Drill out old screw holes and fill back up with JB Weld epoxy to drill fresh screw holes into.
4. Mount new trim with butyl tape.
(Maxxfan 4301K exhaust only, no remote, rainshield builtin, 900cfm)
sharpstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 03:03 AM   #2
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpstick View Post
Reolacing the old roof vent fan, Fantastic 4000R. Apparently the second one. Roof has two sets of holes all over the place. About half of them are where the new Maxxair installation screws need to go.
Plan:
1. Old chisel to remove most of old silicone.
2. Use silicone remover and wire wheel to clean up the rest of it.
3. Drill out old screw holes and fill back up with JB Weld epoxy to drill fresh screw holes into.
4. Mount new trim with butyl tape.
(Maxxfan 4301K exhaust only, no remote, rainshield builtin, 900cfm)
If it matters, I believe the old fantastic fans came with a life time warranty that is still honored.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 06:34 AM   #3

Name: Billy Sharpstick
Trailer: Scamp 13 - 2005
Florida
Registry
roof fan replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
If it matters, I believe the old fantastic fans came with a life time warranty that is still honored.
The old one still worked. It was just old. (mfg date 2003) It is an older style motor that I suspect was less powerful and efficient. (It is a tall cylinder instead of the newer pancake ones). I didn't even realize it was a Fantastic until I got the new one and removed the old one. It didn't seem that powerful.
sharpstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 09:46 AM   #4
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpstick View Post
The old one still worked. It was just old.
Yeah, me too.

I went through the same exercise last summer when I replaced a Max fan with a Fantastic Fan. The hole had to be enlarged as the Fantastic fan was about 1/8" larger in both directions. But no silicon to remove, I don't envy you. Good luck with the project. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 04:32 PM   #5

Name: Tim
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
When you install your's does it sit flush to the inside of the trailer? I had to build a spacer that fit on top of my trailer to do so. Also, maybe I was a bit lazy, but I had a few extra left over screw holes too, but with the butyl tape to seal everything up, I didn't bother filling them with anything.
TimR is offline   Reply With Quote