rooftop a/c - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2008, 08:55 PM   #1

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Hi, I'm looking for help/advice about installing rooftop a/c on my trillium 5500. At the Emily meet this summer I saw two 5500's with modifications made that allowed rooftop a/c. I'm comfortable with making the structural modifications nessessary to support a unit. Problem is, yesturday I went to Can-Am R.V. in London to purchase a unit, and make arrangements to have them install it once my modifications are complete. They will not do an installation, are concerned about liability. end of story.. from my point of view I am frustrated, but I do understand their responsibility, agree with and would do the same... they will sell me an 11000 btuh dometic for 918.50.

Trillium 5500 is 18 foot trailer. I think 9000 btuh should be good, what do you think???

918.50 seems like a crazy price, i was expecting 500-600???

I go to florida in January, i could make structural modifications, install unit, or find someone willing to install unit and go, or make modifications and buy and have unit installed in florida....any ideas which might be best and why???

As you can see I thought this was going to be done soon, I've hit a roadblock both in executing idea, and in getting information re: sizing unit (dealer just says 13,500 because thats the most popular size) I would appreciate any and all help.. thank you
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 09:23 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via MSN to Coach George Jessup
Quote:
Hi, I'm looking for help/advice about installing rooftop a/c on my trillium 5500. ...

I go to florida in January, i could make structural modifications, install unit, or find someone willing to install unit and go, or make modifications and buy and have unit installed in florida....any ideas which might be best and why???...
Do you want tthe AC "because" your going to FL in Jan?

What part of FL? Check the avg. temps there for the time of year.

Some parts of FL you may need a heater not an AC.
Coach George Jessup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 10:05 PM   #3

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft 1973
Nick, you probably saw Doug & Kathy's 5500 with two steel pipe braces across the vertical sides of the raised area...added by their Florida RV shop. We were camped beside them in the green 1300 (with no A/C). Doug and Kathy got a Coleman roof mount but find that it is frequently too much cooling for the size of the interior. If the unit is too large, you will get cooling- but also dampness- because the unit will cycle off prematurely and not dry the air.
Any 4500s I have seen with "factory air" had the roof areas at the rear reinforced with a plywood "sandwich" and a second skin of 'glass.
As a side note...I echo the previous comment of Coach George. We are headed to the Keys again in Jan & Feb and , as in the past several years, will do without A/C quite nicely. A Fantastic Vent and a clip-on 8" fan and our screen door are all we need. Actually, two years ago in the Everglades we were encountering near frost levels at night!!! in January.
Alistair Camelford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 12:28 AM   #4

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Nick... I installed a MaxxFan on the roof of our '77 Boler 13'. This unit did a great job cooling without A/C. The cost inc tx. was $330.00. I would recomend you try this 1st. it may be all you really need. Our Escape 5.0 has both a MaxxFan and roof A/C(Dometic 579 Brisk Air) and so far no need to use the A/C. My two cents worth.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 11:59 AM   #5

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Figured it would be good to have when I go south, will be doing a few weeks next summer in pennsylvania, virginia's area will definitly want a/c then...I know I'll get a lot more use out of the trailer if I have a comfortable place to sleep... Interesting comment about cycling/dampness, that worries me, i'm only guessing 9,000 byuh good for my trailer.
I'm almost tempted to stick a 5000 btuh a/c in a window for a year and see how that works out...
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 08:31 AM   #6

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Figured it would be good to have when I go south, will be doing a few weeks next summer in pennsylvania, virginia's area will definitly want a/c then...I know I'll get a lot more use out of the trailer if I have a comfortable place to sleep... Interesting comment about cycling/dampness, that worries me, i'm only guessing 9,000 byuh good for my trailer.
I'm almost tempted to stick a 5000 btuh a/c in a window for a year and see how that works out...
Hi: Nick...I forgot to mention the Brisk Air unit is 7100BTU and weighs 75# installed. It is the smallest lightest roof a/c Dometic makes but some times smallest isn't always cheepest. We have a great R.V. dealer here in St. Thomas. Gammons RV they specialize in refridgeration for RV's.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote